In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone Else Here Collect Coleman ?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by HoneyFuzz, Mar 25, 2014.

1. greendohn

greendohn

Nice score!!

oldcolemancollectors.com should have a full tutorial..read up on it so as not to damage that old gem! I love, love, love the 242's and they are pretty rare around here..I've bought the only 2 I've ever seen around here in 15 years or more of collecting/restoring lanterns. (I lit up one of mine last night for a few hours!!)

use a piece of leather or rubber or something to protect the brass on ,,,,say the valve, if you use your bench vice..apply even twisting pressure when twisting the tank off so as not to bend the top of the fount,,
    the leather works well if/should you have to use slip joint plier on the filler cap, ball nut ..

Really, read up on the tutorial, you'll find some good tips and tricks over there that will help avoid damage/heart aches..

Good luck.

OldBlue and Greenstick like this.
  2. old 040

old 040

Yep, as GD stated, CCF has plenty of info, 242's are easy peasy to work on, and as Gd also stated, carefully clamp the control valve assy in a vice upside down and turn the fount by hand, I have yet to not have one come off this way...

greendohn likes this.
  3. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Farted around for a while tonight on my gifted 242c. Reads 7 9 on the bottom so I am thinking this means July of 49 correct? Have you ever made your own cap gasket as I have a leaker. Don't tell my wife I was working on it in a nice warm kitchen and on her counter top too.:whistle: 20161229_201343.jpg 20161229_201352.jpg

greendohn and old 040 like this.
  4. old 040

old 040

Most of the time these are the other way around, more than likely September 1947, looks like it still has a pretty nice vent, many rust out where they are spot welded? to the top making for a two piece vent...... Oh we won't tell your wife!, have fun with it, and be careful, a member of the CCF was badly burned recently.....;)

Greenstick likes this.
  5. Greenstick

Greenstick

I've been looking and don't see. Do they make 1 piece fuel caps for 242's? Or are the threads npt and a brass pipe cap would work? Am I just being a putz by not messing with 3 piece fuel caps.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  6. old 040

old 040

The 242's have smaller caps and no, they're not NPT, you could use an o-ring temporally until you get the correct cap seal, easiest way to disassemble a 3 piece cap is to tighten it down on the fount then remove the screw, then take the cap back off in pieces, they are pretty easy to do, heat usually works best to get the old seal out, only other cap I'm aware of that fits the 242 is an iron (clothing iron) cap that has the fitting for a pump.

greendohn and Greenstick like this.
  7. Greenstick

Greenstick

I still need to finger out a permanent fuel cap gasket but I tried the temporary O ring and lookee here at what done happened. 20161229_211835.jpg 20161229_212944.jpg

greendohn and old 040 like this.
  8. Greenstick

Greenstick

Farting around with the 242 gave me motorvation to tackle the nickel 228 that I have been meaning to get around to. I now have all my lanterns going with the exception of the Akron. 20161231_115406.jpg 20161231_115548.jpg 20161231_115531.jpg

WinonaRail, greendohn and old 040 like this.
  9. Greenstick

Greenstick

Ok gentlemen straighten me out as I am confusing myself the more I look into things. I have started to look into a lamp to rebuild. However I am getting mixed information on what it is and what converts. Coleman model 152 that uses a generator T44K. There is no preheat cup and the K designated it as a kerosene lamp. What I have read a 220 lantern generator can be used in the lamp. But is that meant as a kerosene gen or as converted to C-fuel? Also what kind of bracket is used to have a glass shade vs globe?:coffee:

greendohn and BCPLLC like this.
  10. BCPLLC

BCPLLC

This guy is currently at the auction house.

Don't have one. Don't know anything about it, but will be researching, especially if I buy it.

Don't know if it works.

Whats the most I should pay?

I am thinking i gotta be able to get it for 5~10 bucks.

What do ya think?
    611.JPG 611A.JPG 611B.JPG 611C.JPG

11. Greenstick

Greenstick

$10 tops. I have the same one. Mine has only a couple uses on it. I filled it up n let it set about 15 minutes. Poured a splash of coleman fuel on top n lit it outside. After burning down it started to catalytic burn like it is supposed to. Scroll back a few pages and I have pics of my avocado ufo being lit. Page 20

12. greendohn

greendohn

Sorry man, lamps are like hens teeth around here.
    I know nothing about them, the one hanging in my garage (the only one I've ever seen) belongs to my neighbor, it's gotta leak at the gen. I need to pull it down one of these days and try to fix it.

Greenstick likes this.
  13. greendohn

greendohn

BCPLLC likes this.
  14. BCPLLC

BCPLLC

Thanks guys!

I have since noticed that this is missing the top cover (snuffer?). Any idea if an improvised top cover will work or is there some magic to putting this thing out?

Greenstick likes this.
  15. greendohn

greendohn

Nope, not really.

16. Greenstick

Greenstick

A lack of oxygen, heat or fuel. Pouring it out is not safe or reasonable-fuel. Heat-it is making its own at that point. Oxygen-if you found a old 50s hub cap that could seal it well enough it might smother but I wouldn't bank on it. If ur dead set on getting one, eBay.

BCPLLC and greendohn like this.
  17. Greenstick

Greenstick

Dun did sum fartin around and got the old girl to fire up! Now I need to finger out what I want to do for a globe or shade combo and scrub her up. I went CF with a 220 lantern generator and didn't blow up! 20170111_183605.jpg 20170111_183546.jpg 20170111_183533.jpg

18. greendohn

greendohn

If I'm not mistaken,,,the globe from a Northstar lantern will fit that lanter.
    It's kinda' tricky, but you can fit the globe over the metal tabs.

Greenstick likes this.
  19. Greenstick

Greenstick

Haven't ruled out the northstar globe. Found this shade for .54 cents. Its a little small but will work til I find something else. 20170114_141711.jpg 20170114_141659.jpg

Bert, greendohn and BCPLLC like this.
  20. Greenstick

Greenstick

I have been trying to figure out what lantern my grandparents had in their lake cabin in Mn. I was so young I barely remember it. When they passed away the cabin was sold pretty much as is with things in it included. My aunt had an accidental camera was bumped blurry picture she stumbled across that had an amazingly decipherable collar shot as someone was trying to light it. Some day I want to go back up to Big Sandy Lake by McGregor Mn. However because of that pic I have now got a copy cat of the lantern same model number and letter. If I could only find the date or the original lantern would be gold to me. But here are pics of my copy cat I just found.

Attached Files: