In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anybody own the Harman 52i service rail kit?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by dotman17, Jan 7, 2018.

1. dotman17

dotman17

I figured a bucket or stacked pellet bags would do the trick but I almost chopped my finger off early this month so man handling with muscle may not be a great idea. I can only use half my left hand. These kits seemed expensive at the time but considering I hurt myself, I wonder if it's not a good idea? Are those kits reliable? Easy to use? Or just a plain rip off?

[​IMG]

Harman 52i Service Rail Kit | Earth Sense Energy Systems

At $434+ bucks, it seems damm high to me. But then again, if it's simple to use and promotes cleaning my investment more frequently, maybe it's worth it?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  2. will711

will711

I don't have one , but my buddy's son has one . He didn't buy one when the stove was first installed , but after man handling and almost dropping the stove he got one . Expensive yes , but how much is your finger worth ??

Just a thought does your stove dealer or any one in the area have have the kit set up in the show room so you can see it in operation ??? That would be a smart move if they want to sell more of them .

gbreda, dotman17, imacman and 2 others like this.
  3. imacman

imacman

gbreda, ivanhoe, dotman17 and 2 others like this.
  4. dotman17

dotman17

That's what I'm beginning to think. If I knew it was easy to use, then I'd pick one up. Probably would clean the back end of my stove much more. Conversely, if it's a pain to align and/or use, it's a waste of cashola.

Thanks. I just did a quick search for the picture so you guys all knew what I was talking about. But I have something solid as a starting point if I decide to move forward.

ivanhoe and will711 like this.
  5. dotman17

dotman17

This actually is a very good price compared to all the other yahoos out there. I'm thinking about it.

ivanhoe, imacman and slvrblkk like this.
  6. dotman17

dotman17

I pulled this from a conversation I'm having on 'another' website and this is what the guy had to say:

"Totally worth it. Folds up and fits in box about 18" x 4 x 4. Seriously considered making something but this is so simple and easy to use. Just attach rails to bottom of Insert, bolt onto folding X support and slide out with ease. Move it with one hand no problem."

That may have just sold it for me.

ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  7. artc

artc

I made one out of a 2X3 square frame set up to the top of the hearth, and two rails of 1/4 x 2" steel for the wheels to run on to bridge the gap. use it once a year, free essentially
    i'll take a pic if you want

gbreda, ivanhoe and imacman like this.
  8. dotman17

dotman17

Sure! I was just about to press the confirm button on the purchase. $318 w/ shipping.

9. artc

artc

Tuesday, as I'm traveling home tomorrow. maybe saved you $300

10. dotman17

dotman17

I understand the rail kit folds up and stores real nicely. I've gotta talk it over with the wifey.

11. dotman17

dotman17

Art, I found one selling locally for about $299. I think we're going to burn money. But please send the picture anyway because I can always take it back.

imacman and ivanhoe like this.
  12. dotman17

dotman17

That's the best price online I was able to find as well. I almost ordered it but then called a local store here that sells it for the same price. Good researching.

13. artc

artc

I was told they were flimsy and a pita, but I don't know that personally

14. dotman17

dotman17

This little box just cost me $325.

20180107_175145.jpg

ivanhoe likes this.
  15. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Ive tried them, nice to have, but takes awhile to set up.......why not just build a simple 2x4 box the same height as your hearth, and set the stove on it? Personally, its just fast to stack 2x4's to the approximate height of the hearth than set this thing up......but hey, I can order one....

16. dotman17

dotman17

I was just going to stack pellet bags and filler. But I liked the idea of a simple slider. IDK. Let's see what artc comes up with. I have a damaged hand that I am trying to not to aggravate.

17. dotman17

dotman17

I posted this on another site but thought maybe I could trouble you all. I'm having trouble simply removing the ash lip on my Accentura 52i. I had my stove professionally installed but after cleaning the exhaust yesterday and pulling out a bunch of gunk, I decided it was time to check out chimney flue and remove the fines from the box. I recently bought the expensive rail kit and thought this would be a simple matter of pulling out the lip and connecting the rails. It seemed from everything I've read, just pulling it straight out from the frame was all that was required as long as the doors were open (so as not to get scratched). I've pulled on it pretty good now with two hands (albeit one hand has 2 fingers really) and it doesn't seem to budge. I looked for obvious screws and/or attachments -- maybe found some on the side -- but after investigating them, they appear they've never been wrenched -- which tells me the installer never touched them to latch it down. Where am I missing? Any ideas? First time I'm attempting to pull it out as well.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    ivanhoe likes this.
  18. unbidden

unbidden

Some have built their own using 2 x 4's. You can add a little stainless flashing to the top of the rail to aid the rollers.

ivanhoe likes this.
  19. imacman

imacman

Calling Lousyweather

dotman17 and ivanhoe like this.
  20. artc

artc

it is not attached with any fasteners and simply comes forward to remove. there might be a lip it nests on, requiring a little lift to remove.

unless the new 52ITC is different, that is