In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anybody lease their land for hunting?

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Sourwood, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

I am giving this a shot this year, on our tree farm. We don't hunt there since the hunting is great at home.
    I reached out to a guy who has a company that matches landowners and hunters.

Since the house in my signature pic is included, the amount is pretty good. We will lease for deer and turkey seasons. I plan to just re-invest in the property. The outbuilding that my dad built in the mid1950's is in need of replacement. Brother and I think we can use the existing concrete floor to place a new building over.

Anyone had experience with the potential pitfalls and things to ensure are on the lease? I have already had conversations with my insurance agent. Farm Bureau has specific lease policies.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  2. bocefus78

bocefus78

What county are you in? I may be interested.

Backwoods Savage and crzybowhntr like this.
  3. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Why pay a middle man and loose revenue...

If someone on here doesnt grab it, a post on CL or a regional hunting forum, i bet it would be snapped up quick.

Im not sure of the market in your state, depending on the location in MD, it can be $10/acre or $100/acre... People do pay big $$ for hunting here, especially if geese/ducks use it.

4. Sourwood

Sourwood

It's in Perry. Looks like a customer from Florida has sent payment.

The reason I went for a middle man was to have someone handle getting the right people who were willing to pay a premium. Same reason I use a consultant forester to oversee sale of timber, rather than deal directly with a logger. The price difference usually covers the fees. I dont have an issue with helping a man earn a living providing professional services.

I also dont want to spend the time playing tour guide several times and vetting prospects. The farm is a hundred miles away, so getting things set could be several trips, phone calls and a thousand miles added to the odometer. Add to it the diversion from other things I have going on.

By leasing the house as part of the deal, Pretty much any house expenses will be a tax write off.

bocefus78 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  5. swags

swags Moderator

That’s a popular thing and can help add a few extra dollars in your pocket. A middleman can help too, if there’s a problem with the hunters he can deal with it. Also I’m assuming you talked to him about requiring the hunter to carry his own insurance, there are a lot of really good insurance plans for hunters leasing land.

bocefus78 likes this.
  6. bocefus78

bocefus78

Good Deal. If those guys dont work out, let me know. Based on your other post listing the acreage, I cant afford it, but I know an Indy LEO and his partner, who would jump on that if the price is in the $30 per acre range or less. Your farm would be on tv also....if they get a good hunt on film.

7. Sourwood

Sourwood

Insurance is covered by the broker. I spoke with my Farm Bureau Insurance agent- he provided their hunter lease policy. I just need to ensure I am listed on the policy provided by the broker.
    He got the deal done for 50 an acre- as I said, a good broker will earn their own money on the differential. The neighbor has a few hundred acres too, and some turkey hunting show filmed a hunt there a few years ago.
    On my home-farm I am working with my NTF chapter to set up a Jakes hunt during youth turkey season. Should be fun.

Boogeyman and swags like this.