In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anybody here a natural gas expert?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Pallet Pete, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I buried 1.5" conduit on the suggestion of consumers energy and am getting ready to pull Home-flex SDR11 polyethylene gas pipe through it.

Problem that I hadn't considered is that though conduit is a good idea the fittings are HUGE! They will not fit in the conduit and are only rated for direct burial in the soil. :confused::confused:

This is very frustrating because CSST is only rated for burial in conduit and covered with concrete where SDR11 is direct burial. I am NOT digging all that conduit out of the ground now.

Is there any other type of gas line I can run through the conduit or did consumers once again give me bad advice?....

2. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Pete can you pull lines thru and put fitting on end outside of the conduit?

yooperdave, Horkn, papadave and 2 others like this.
  3. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

The pipe will be connected at the gas line in the house and at the furnace in the garage. Where I have an issue is the transition on each end of the pipe where it goes from the sdr11 fittings and transitions to pipe threads. Thats where the direct burial fittings will have to be used. I suppose I dont really feel safe using shark bite style fittings on a gas line in the buildings. They seal using an oring and are held in place by a screw down nut.

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

calling my cousin the gas guy..

I guess what I am suggesting.. is you are going to have a TEE at source put in shutoff pull line through conduit.. put in another shutoff so line is a complete circuit underground with a shutoff and tee both sides where it comes out of conduit .. then black iron pipe to appliance and connect as normal..

Horkn, papadave and Pallet Pete like this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just what I was thinking too.
    I had a 600' chemical feed line to be buried at work...needed to be able to remove the lines and was going to have tees and valves in several places. I put all the junctions/tees/valves in those sprinkler system boxes
    [​IMG]

6. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Ah I got ya

Yes there is a shutoff and T already in place in the house from the old water heater. The furnace in the garage is getting a shutoff valve before the line goes into the furnace.
    My original plan was to use corrugated csst pro flex pipe however consumers said that even if its 24" down in conduit that it still has to have concrete up to 6" poured on top of it.

When I talked to pro flex they said just put it in conduit and it would be fine as long as its sealed conduit.

Consumers is leading me astray I think... This isnt the first time they have thrown random crap answers at me........... Very frustrating.

Horkn and Canadian border VT like this.
  7. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Thanks for helping!

Looks like csst is what I’ll use unless your causin has better advice! Fingers crossed!

Horkn likes this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

When I read the title of this thread I thought I was gonna hafta tag Gasifier :whistle: ;) :rofl: :lol:

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

I have done some natural gas training in my time.

1871C3F6-0405-4C96-82B0-04BD9AD488B5.jpeg