In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anybody ever use one of these splitters?

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Sinngetreu, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

If I had a way to get it here and cash on hand, I would really consider that. I have zero issue with vintage.

2. bushpilot

bushpilot

Both.

I flip-flop on which I would lose if I had to lose one.

Sinngetreu likes this.
  3. Lastmohecken

Lastmohecken

If I was going to cut wood to sell, I would definitely owe a 40 ton or bigger splitter, but for my own use, I can't see owning one. I don't even like to use them.

I helped split a few cords of big hardwood logs up earlier this year. It was a stand up splitter and worked pretty good, but there was still a lot of dragging, and wrestling the rounds into position, pretty hard work over all, but probably a little faster then noodling, but one man could have noodled them, while we worked as a two and three man crew to do the same job. Where, if I was noodling them, I would do it on the spot where the round laid. No dragging and standing up, and fighting into position very much and spinning it to get the next bite on the splitter.

On reflection, I think I worked a lot harder for the wood I brought home, then if I had just noodled, and or hand split, and loaded my own wood, by myself. The only plus to it was the fact that we were not falling trees and delimbing, since we were cutting up sawmill log ends.

When I was working construction, I built a splitter for a customer one time, that was horizontal, and had a hydraulic lift on it that would raise the round up to the horizontal table, and the splitter ram would spit the round 4 ways with one stroke. Now that splitter was a monster, and is what I would want for commercial cutting. But I am not going to do commercial cutting.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Sinngetreu likes this.