In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any veterans of Khe San? I met your doc

Discussion in 'As You Were' started by Sourwood, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

Tonight at an annual chili supper fundraiser, I met a local doctor, now retired. During the siege of Khe San, Dr. LaFollette was the only doctor treating the wounded.

If he deemed they were still battle-able, they went back to the fight. I asked if he was getting resupply of medical items during the battle. He said the real issue was clean water. He was rationed five gallons a day for medical needs.

Two of his corpsmen actually live locally too. I have known about Dr. LaFollette, as his story has been in the local news on certain anniversaries and Memorial Day stories.

He has read my name in the local paper a lot over the decades as well, and delivered my Jail Commander into this world.

he said he was drafted into the military when he was a recent MD. Hadn’t established a practice yet, so it was good timing. Spent about seven years with the Marine Corps but military life affected his PTSD too much.

DA1396B9-9FF1-4DB3-AAB3-17B59DEF54DA.jpeg

WeldrDave, XXL, Chvymn99 and 4 others like this.
  2. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

God Bless all of you.

:usa:

WeldrDave, Sourwood, XXL and 2 others like this.
  3. B.Brown

B.Brown

You bet!! India Co 3rd Batt 26th Marines, Khe Sanh, first, then up to Hill 881 South with Capt William H. Dabney, (Chesty Pullers son in law), I tried really hard not to ''meet'' any of the Dr's back then. The remedy, dig deeper, put more sand bags on the tops of bunkers. Had a lot of very, very close calls up on the Hill and at Khe Sanh. Those guys down there did a fantastic job, under the conditions and, with what they had to work with. YOU BET GOD BLESSED US!!

WeldrDave, Sourwood, wildwest and 3 others like this.