In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any saws you regret buying?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dakota Hoarder, Nov 6, 2017.

1. thistle

thistle

If I'm not mistaken the main difference between the 890 & its 895 replacement is the decomp lever added.Same 6.3 cube/103cc engine gear drive torque monster.My 890 was cheap,looks good on the shelf but needs a few things to be a runner.Finally got a 895 a couple years later,near same condition but runs good.Its a wrist breaker without that using that decomp lever first that's for sure.

concretegrazer and Armbru84 like this.
  2. Armbru84

Armbru84

I
    I just can’t seem to get the tune right. Maybe I need to put a kit in it. It’s either spinning the chain non stop and acting lean or it’s fat and boggy.

concretegrazer likes this.
  3. tamarack

tamarack

The saws i regretted buying are 455 and 460 rancher huskys. They were ok but had hell with the oiler on the 460. Im also not a fan of 056 stihls. Power and torque is great on those, but i had nothing but trouble with them perhaps because they were wore out old logging saws i picked up for cheap.

Mag Craft and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  4. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Cole, maybe you've already tried this, if not it may work. tune lean on the L side, the run the H out till she slows up a bit & see if it cleans up at wot. Doesn't always work, but I've done that on a few big cube old saws & they seem to like it. No clue why.

Armbru84 likes this.
  5. Armbru84

Armbru84

I was trying about everything but I will try that out and see how she does. It’s a cool saw just have to get it dialed in.

6. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yep the oiler on the 455 and 460 can be an issue. I have 2 455 ranchers but I am lucky and know how to work on them. I have not any issues with the oilers yet but I know what to do with them when something comes up.

tamarack likes this.
  7. 460magpro

460magpro

Mine was a 372 it spent more time getting fixed than anything the thing just fell apart so after that stihls only

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  8. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

That’s odd, one of Husky’s best saws. Sounds like a chitty shop if they couldn’t get it straight.

9. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yep the 272 and 372 were some good saws.

tamarack and The Wood Wolverine like this.
  10. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Same brand regret here, do not remember the model, it was early 1990's.

Armbru84 and Mag Craft like this.
  11. tamarack

tamarack

I think i liked my 272 that got stolen back ten or so years ago better than my 372 i have now.

The Wood Wolverine and Mag Craft like this.
  12. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I still have 2 of the 272 and they sure run good. I have had no trouble with them.

The Wood Wolverine and wildwest like this.
  13. Nixon

Nixon

69AF9BA8-E1B4-4873-923D-485F92856897.jpeg Not sure if I’ll reget ths one ,or not . So, I posted it as a precaution :cool:. So far the flippy caps ,circlips ,wristpin bearing ,and sparkplug look iffy . So, they’ll be OEM . I’ll run it to see what fails out of curiosity . Got one for a Christmas present for my BIL ,just to watch the expression on his face when he opens it ,realizes what it is ,and that there are no instructions ...

14. Redfin

Redfin

Block off the governor Cole. Ive had those cause havoc trying to tune.

MasterMech, Mag Craft and Armbru84 like this.
  15. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I don't have a regrettable saw.

A 372 blew a piston after only 9 months time, and my Husqvarna 562 and a 029 Stihl are not up to professional logging usage, BUT considering the cost of a chainsaw over that of the price of wood; all have paid for themselves with the first load of wood that hit the deck. That means anything after the first load of wood, all have made me money.

So really it is not that I regret buying one over the other, even the Husky 562 that I just bought and hate...how can I regret buying it, it has paid for itself 20 fold? So it really is just a matter of other chainsaws have had a longer life and paid for themselves more. No regrettable saw purchases; just some models of chainsaws have ended up making me more money than others.

Dakota Hoarder likes this.
  16. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I have two Stihls and wanted to try a Husky 550XP. It has been a good saw and a pleasure to run. Looking back, I would of bought a comparable Stihl instead. One stop shopping for parts and supplies. Plus it’s like driving one brand of car for a while then jumping into a different brand of car. The switchs and controls are similar but slightly different operation. I would like to have everything in my two stroke stable the same brand.

J.Walker, Dakota Hoarder and bang like this.
  17. Jon_E

Jon_E

Nothing I truly regret buying, but I have gotten rid of saws when I found something better. First saw was a Stihl 025, worked great for occasional firewood use, started getting finicky with spark plugs and starting, so I sold it to buy my Dolmar PS421. Second saw was a Stihl MS390, bought off eBay after a storm went through somewhere, looked brand new. Kept it until an unbeatable deal on a MS361 came along, so I traded it in. Liked the 361 until I got a chance to run the bigger Dolmars, and then the 361 got traded for my current PS-6400. Not likely to get rid of either one of my Dolmars unless they die of old age. Still have my dad's Stihl 025 which he kept instead of trading in on his Dolmar PS421, and his old Homelite Super XL "Old Blue" which it a shelf queen.

18. RCBS

RCBS

Bought a CS340 Echo top handle off craigslist. Listed for $50. Said it ran but had a carb issue. Drove and met the guy. The saw would fire, but quickly stalled. Seemed to be workable, so I bought it. Ended up with a scored P&C too far gone for polishing. I bought a short block for it for $80 because I refused to throw away $50 on a parts saw. Between my time and fuel and parts, ended up having about $170 in the saw. I guess now I don't really regret buying it as it now runs and works good as new. I have had it's predecessor since new in 97/98 and it has served my very well (CS3400) It was intended for a nephew, who has so-far not shown interest in working in the woods.

Not really a regret, so much as a lesson learned. No used 2-stroke whatsoever without pulling muffler for a look at the piston.

Dakota Hoarder and 94BULLITT like this.
  19. J.Walker

J.Walker

I bought a Jonsered 2054 the other week. Owned said it need fuel lines which was fine as I was looking for a black coil for some Husky saws. Pulled off the recoil only to discover this saw has a different style of coil. So the saw just sits. I was out 40 bucks but I did get three nice Stihl chains and a new bar in 325 - 58ga from the deal.

RCBS likes this.