In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any runners or cyclists here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by T-Stew, May 18, 2015.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I've never been a runner but was a sprinter in school days. Bikes I've rode for many years. Had polio when young and I can still hear those doctors pester my folks to, "Get that boy a bicycle!" They finally did and I rode. It really helped the legs (was paralyzed for a time). Never got into mountain biking but always on a road bike. Had to give up my beloved Bianchi many years ago because the body just took too much beating up so now I ride a Bacchetta recumbent and love it! So much easier on the body and fun to ride. Unfortunately, I had to take this year off due to some surgery.

Carbon Aero 2.JPG

2. T-Stew

T-Stew

Looks neat Dennis! I always wondered about recumbents, see them often on the bike trail here but never had the chance to talk to anyone about them yet. I seem to handle the road bikes fine, though getting into an aggressive aero stance is a bit hard on me and my lower back isn't super flexible, but so far rides up to about 50 miles are ok. Just haven't had the time to try anything much longer yet!

3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I've been very pleased since switching to the bents. Just have to realize all bents are not created equal and there are hundreds of styles. I liked the looks of Rans and Bacchetta mostly (Randy Schlitter (of Rans) and John Schlitter (used to be Bacchetta) are brothers). Ended up liking the Bacchetta best and started with the Giro 26 then later got the top of the line. Big difference!

First time on a bent was laughable. Felt like a kid just learning how to ride and not doing a very good job of it. Then I found someone who knew how to teach and within minutes all was well. Still, it took a couple hundred miles to get really comfortable and then it gets really fun. I also have been on several crews for RAAM, all riding recumbents.

Worst thing about them is they can be slower climbing simply because you can not stand to climb. Really can make up for lost time on downhills though! Also in headwinds as you just are not pushing as much wind. Best thing about them is you can ride and ride and ride and not get sore. Also, you aren't looking at the pavement because you are a bit more upright and this really helps a lot and makes riding much better.

If you get a chance, ride a couple different ones. If you really like the road bike, stay with it as long as you can or get a bent and ride both. Oh yes, the low back. Mine is terrible. Not a problem on the bent though.

4. coal reaper

coal reaper

so I ran a little with these guys today. http://www.1eight4.com/ really, really awesome.
    this lady too. she showed up unannounced from ohio two hours before starting. quite an incredible lady.
    they are halfway through the state right now!

Gasifier and Shurdel like this.
  5. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

image.jpeg

I learned to unicycle many years ago but haven't ridden much at all lately. That is until I picked up a new one. Disk brake even.

Did about 6 miles today. It is great exercise.

cnice_37, Shurdel and papadave like this.
  6. bassJAM

bassJAM

I didn't know anyone actually rode any distance on a unicycle. I thought they were only used when juggling, or drunk.

Brushpile, Gasifier and cnice_37 like this.
  7. T-Stew

T-Stew

Sounds incredible indeed!
    I so would like to run at the ultra level but even at the marathon level I struggle to much. I think I am capable but I just cannot get enough training time in and I get muscle/tendon strains pushing myself in the longer races. It is just so hard finding time to run. I am absolutely not a morning person, and on top of that on workdays I have to get up at 4am already. No way I am getting up a 3 just to run, as I usually don't get enough sleep as it is!! My plan is just to wait until retirement to get into the ultra running and long distance touring on bike. lol.

I did have a couple great races this summer... ran the 18.12 race in Sackets Harbor NY (near my hometown). Considering my lack of training this year, 17th overall (out of 349) I am very happy with! It was a very fast course with actually a slight elevation loss. Average pace 7:28 for 18.12 miles. 1812 is honoring the War of 1812 in which Sackets Harbor played a big role.

And in September I ran a local 5k here in Ohio, one that I have run probably 5 times now and each time I get faster. This year I broke my record again with 18:59 finish (1st!). First sub 19 as an adult, and actually only the second sub 20 race as well!

I hit 1,000 miles on the bike this year, back in September, but probably just about done cycling for this year. I only got into road biking last year so this was a big milestone for me there.

As soon as I get my home renovations wrapped up I plan on taking 2 of my vintage bikes and stripping them mostly and upgrading them to more modern 10 speed drivetrains and components. Should be fun to do over the winter. One will be setup to be a nice all around road bike and the other will be a road bike more geared to racing and training.

coal reaper and Shurdel like this.
  8. Shurdel

Shurdel

T-Stew, that's some fast times. I've done some marathons and one ultra, a 50k and you're right it takes a lot of time. I wish I could get out more but I've been slacking.

T-Stew and coal reaper like this.
  9. Gasifier

Gasifier

I never ran when I was young. Played soccer in school. Then foolishly started smoking. I finally quit smoking about 11 years ago I guess. Around 37 y.o. Started working out a little more and walking a lot. Then started jogging. Then slowly progressed to running some longer distances. Since then I have run five or six half marathons in September each year. But since we bought our second piece of property two years ago I have not had the time to run anything more than a few miles every other day. So many things I want to do to the property. Sometimes going months without running at all. :picard:Lately a couple miles three times a week. Need to make the time and get back into it again. And run that half next fall again.

T-Stew likes this.
  10. T-Stew

T-Stew

Thanks Shurdel and congrats for multiple marathons and an ultra :yes:

Gasifier similar story here but about 7 years ahead of you - got back into running ~30 (I did some in high school, but just 2 years of crosscountry). This year has mainly been home renovations for me taking up a lot of time so very similar there. My son isn't old enough either, to be left alone for long, so that limits me taking off on a long run when he isn't in school. I'm not sure if it's the best decision but I end up just making the time to run, and push off over things... at least for a couple runs a week. I shoot for at least 15mi per week or else I feel it... I loose energy and spirit, my back aches, my mood worsens... running just helps everything out and keeps me sane. Also going through a divorce so again it helps keep me sane. It also helps balance out working long 12hr shifts sitting at a computer (that is really terrible for your body). Anyhow I am paying the price though - my renovations are still incomplete although I started back in spring. I still have insulating and air sealing to do (currently just metal roof between portions of my upstairs and the cool fall temps right now), and so many other unfinished projects, messy rooms, lawn that would go 2-3 weeks on average between mowings, etc. It has been a bit of a challenge this year being single again for the first time since I was in college, maintaining a almost 3k sqft house, my son, garden, and find time for running and other hobbies!

I just mention running above but biking of course factors into my exercises as well. Can't wait until I am caught up with things and can start upgrading my bikes. I plan on converting an old 6 speed downtube-shifter Schwinn to brand new 10 speed Campagnolo Ergopower shifters. I think I have most everything I need, just got to find the time!

11. capetownkg

capetownkg

I have a on again off again relationship with running. Never really liked it a ton. Last year I ran 100 miles in December and was trying to do 50 miles a month for a few. Havent run since my road trip out west though but its about time I get back into it. Think I may shoot for 6-8 miles a week.

From one of the trail runs we did in Canada. My brother is a great runner and I try to appease him and go for runs when we are together.
    20150824_125447.jpg
    But really all I do is slow him down and end up like this at the end.
    20150824_131810.jpg

mdavlee and T-Stew like this.
  12. mdavlee

mdavlee

How many pairs of shoes do you go through at 50 miles a month?

13. Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

They aren't Nascar tires, I get 300-400 miles out of mine.

mdavlee likes this.
  14. T-Stew

T-Stew

Got a few thousand on mine and they're better than when they started! ;)

mdavlee likes this.
  15. StEarl

StEarl

this is my '93/2000/2015/ KHS Montana Comp with True Temper tubing.
    78 miler this day. i've ridden my whole life, but took off the last 4 years or so until this summer.
    i got myself a brooks b17 saddle this summer. used to have one years ago, and i'm glad i decided to get another.
    saw a black bear out on the gravel roads near town. and i saw a big female moose crossing hwy 11 coming back from ebeemee twnshp. first time i ever saw a moose in real life (yep, i'm from away). as i was watching it come out of the woods, i was thinking "what is that giant weirdly walking horse doing out here? "
    11889586_1064666413551102_1703593835726912863_n.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    Double Bit and T-Stew like this.
  16. T-Stew

T-Stew

Picked up another steelie to add to my collection. '86 Super Sport, Columbus Tenax tubing and Shimano 600 drivetrain, all original except for the saddle (that one is off my '88 LeTour), and one of their better road bikes for the year (#3 I think... behind the Paramount and Peloton). This one I'll likely leave all original except for perhaps pedals and maybe a new saddle. I'm tempted to see what a black seatpost and stem would look like on that bike though, but I'll probably resist temptation to mess with it.

SuperSport_60D_50mm.jpg

My running has been going well lately too, due to the warmer than usual winter. Got a couple 30+ mile weeks in lately and next week shooting for more than that since I got the week off.

I forgot to reply to this sooner, but was going to say nice looking bike! I may have to try one of those Brooks someday on the right bike... they have a pretty good following that's for sure. Nice mileage, I think my longest ride remains somewhere in the 50-60 mile range. Hope I can extend that out next year.

17. StEarl

StEarl

^ nice vintage bike.
    downtube shifters, that takes me back.

i had a super LeTour II back in 1981 or so.
    it was my first decent bike (though i loved my green varsity i had from age 15 to 18). i did 147 miles on it (the LeTour II) one day touring with a friend. bend to rhododendron oregon. up through warm spring reservation and over Mt Hood.
    it was a 12 speed iirc.
    we didn't have lights, and when we made it to government camp, we did the descent to rhododendron in the dusk, then full dark, using the lights of the cars as they passed up to see.

when we were sitting in the dairy queen at the bottom of the hill, a woman came over and asked if we wanted to throw our bikes in the back of her and her husband's truck.
    we lit up and said hell yes!

she said her husband thought it would "bust our bubble " to ask if we wanted a ride, but our bubble was well busted by then anyway.
    and really the no light situation was bad.
    they dropped us off on 82nd and foster and we rolled home very happy.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    T-Stew likes this.
  18. T-Stew

T-Stew

Coldest run this morning of the year so far! Just a short 4.5 miles before breakfast...

20160213-720.jpg

Haven't been on the bike all winter though, except for my Super Sport (2 posts up) I brought inside and using on the rollers occasionally.

Shurdel and Gasifier like this.
  19. LogChain

LogChain

Dog gone,,, you guys must have some tough feet!! Dont think Ive ever heard of barefoot marathons.
    I make socks for teams for those events {and cycling teams} I have to fix ya up with some nice socks with good ankle and foot support.That should help your leg problems.I will be getting some of the copper infused yarn next spring...I can use that to make them with. Tell me what kind of logo you woukd like........here is a few just to give ya an idea...........LogChain BTW these are unfinished right out of the machine 20171020_051206.jpg 20171015_211502.jpg 20171105_184228.jpg 20171020_051206.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Chvymn99 and Gasifier like this.
  20. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Thats pretty dang cool!

LogChain likes this.