In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Musicians?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by UncleJoe, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Stinny

Stinny

A few pics of the guys and I playing this summer and fall... started in the cave and just took off. What an amazing summer it's been...

IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_3038.JPG

Played with others this last Friday. They're all so talented, and that's good cause, I make noise... and they make the good stuff... ;)

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

My brother is a drummer. I learned some time ago to not take a good drummers contribution for granted. A good drummer can really help hold things together.

Have you recorded any of your sessions? We've started recording every time we get together. It really helps to see where things went right or terribly wrong; and we've found plenty of the latter. :rolleyes:

Here is one from last weekend. A fellow stopped by with is harps and sat in for a couple tunes. Not sure why he faded in and out. It was sounding good and then he would stop playing.

And one last reminder. A musical get together this weekend at UncleJoe's.

greendohn, Oldhippie and Stinny like this.
  3. Stinny

Stinny

If you have Dropbox, Joe... here's 3 songs I did at an outdoor bash on 9/11... the 4th one rips it up with a different drummer...

Dropbox - 5.mp3

Yes, when we play in the cave, it's recorded to disc so I can tweak the small stuff after...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    UncleJoe likes this.
  4. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

Stinny likes this.
  5. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

This is great, I love chit like this. What music and musicians are all about.

UncleJoe and Stinny like this.
  6. Garry Polmateer

Garry Polmateer

I play drums, currently in a folk cover project that's a lot of fun and very casual. Kids and being in a band are mutually exclusive hobbies, I've learned and now we just gig a few times a year for free for friends and parties.

UncleJoe, Stinny and Oldhippie like this.
  7. Oldhippie

Oldhippie

>>> I play drums, currently in a folk cover project that's a lot of fun and very casual. Kids and being in a band are mutually exclusive hobbies, I've learned and now we just gig a few times a year for free for friends and parties.

Yeah, life gets busy, I hack and guitar and play the trumpet pretty well. Played the trumpet from 4th grade through high-school, then put it down to get a job, go to college, get married, blah blah blah.. Now I'm retired and play old jazz tunes for fun.

UncleJoe and Stinny like this.
  8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

Yep. There was a 20 year period with the kids growing up where I played very little. Got pretty rusty too.

This is from 10-1 when a handful of us got together and played for around 12 hours; off and on. It's a 26 song playlist. Sometimes the camera was just set up and let run. More often it was run by someone for single songs.

Here is the last song we did at around 1:00 Sunday morning. Just audio for this one.

Chordie FSOTM - Ripple

Stinny and Oldhippie like this.
  9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

A few weeks ago Scott and I decided to give it a go. The host gave us a 40 minute slot. Had a few mistakes but had a blast doing it. Here's 3 songs from the night.

Elvisss222 and Well Seasoned like this.
  10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

Jack Straw

Over in the birthday thread you made a request. I wasn't able fulfill it that night so Scott and I knocked one out yesterday when we got together. Here is a rough draft of Brown Eyed Women for you. And it's pretty rough. We looked it over, went through it once, then recorded it. Even having it in front of me I screwed it up a few times. Vocals need a lot of work too but we're going to work on it.

Happy belated birthday.

raybonz and Jack Straw like this.
  11. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Thank you, I loved it! It's one of my favorite songs.

12. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I played for about 10 years on and off but stopped once i was busy with working and kids. Recently wanted to get back into playing, so picked up a new amp and guitar this weekend. Need to get the calluses back on the fingers...... really enjoyed playing tonight!

20170131_214549.jpg

papadave, Brad38, Stinny and 2 others like this.
  13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

I played regularly for 10 years. Then intermittently for the next 20 when the kids were growing up. Now I'm 2.5 years back to regularly. I joined FHC not long after I got started. I had almost forgotten how enjoyable it is to play.

Nice set up. The Epi should serve you well. But then I might be a little bias; I have 6 of them. :emb: :)

Stinny, Well Seasoned and Jack Straw like this.
  14. Well Seasoned

I love the distinct sound i can get from it. I went with a little higher end one, just couldn't justify forking out the extra dough for a gibson.

My amp choice was a fender mustang II, which will take some getting used to. Back when i played, amps didn't have all these fancy choices going online, saving specific sound settings, etc. Once i get used to the technology, readily available backing tracks, etc, I think I'll really enjoy getting back into playing. :yes:

Stinny likes this.
  15. greendohn

greendohn

I've been known to blow harmonica, before marriage and children I sat in quite a bit with a couple bands, it was a lot of fun.
    I still "woodshed" with a few guys every now and then but have lost my chops and that's okay, I can still keep up with the blues, the kids will be grown up one of these days and maybe I'll get to blow more.

Well Seasoned, Stinny and Jack Straw like this.
  16. Stinny

Stinny

Music = therapy ... so good for the head... for the player as well as the listener. Fun to read about others getting back to it too... :rootintootin:

17. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

Jack Straw

Didn't want to clutter up the birthday thread so here's a Jack-a-Roe for ya.

Well Seasoned and Jack Straw like this.
  18. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I love it!!:thumbs:

UncleJoe, Stinny and Well Seasoned like this.
  19. Well Seasoned

20. Stinny

Stinny

Happy Birthday mistah Jack... :rootintootin:

Well Seasoned likes this.