In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Ham Radio Operators on FHC?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Well Seasoned, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Chaz

Chaz

Machria am I reading correctly that you just got your Tech this month?

Congrats
    :yes:

Welcome aboard the Crazy Train
    :dex:

Guess you've been busy during your vacation from the site

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I'm currently studying for two of the tests now. I could pass the technician if I tested today according to the practice tests. I want to get at least a General class license and ideally I'd like to pass all three in one session because you only get one shot at a sweep on the first try.

3. Machria

Machria

Yes, just got lic a few weeks ago, going for Gen test in 2 weeks. I wish I had studied for the Gen the first time, I could have passed both easily. I got 34 out of 35 on the tech, so they said take the Gen test, you never know. I didn’t even look at that material, so tried it, and I was only 3 questions short of passing that one without looking at the material.

And yes chaz, I’ve been really busy last few years... crazy. I semi-retired 4 years ago, and thought I would slow down, but it’s been going the opposite direction. But I’m going to be in good shape for some time off this coming year, then I can get deep into radio and some other stuff.

4. Chaz

Chaz

Best of luck.. If you are already in a place to pass the Tech.. definitely study a bit for General. Not that much extra to learn.

As for Extra.. it's definitely more involved.. but depending on your background.. it might be a breeze.. It's the most technical of the tests.

I wish you'd have came by a month ago..
    :doh:

With a bit more study.. you'd have nailed the General
    :confused:

I look forward to your future endeavors.. and certainly hope to hear you on "the air"
    :thumbs:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  5. Chaz

Chaz

Well Seasoned did you think this thread would go this far??

Honestly, I kinda thought it would fizzle out before now.

Glad I was wrong.
    :thumbs:

Chazsbetterhalf and In the Pines like this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz

Just added a new radio to my "wishlist"
    :whistle:

Edit.. There are cheaper options, but this one was the only one that would properly link
    :picard:

Full duplex, crossband repeater...
    10M / 6M / 2M / 70cm

It would be interesting making an antenna that would be resonant on those varying frequencies
    :nerd:

Anyone else have an "active" wishlist?

I still want an SDRplay as a panadapter for the TS590SG.

Still looking at different SWR/power meters.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  7. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I have that one, I’ve been listening for a while. It might be a little less useful than you’d think on 10m since it’s FM T/X only. Also the 10m and 6m are only on the left side. I have a quad band mobile antenna for the one in the truck, but I should not test SWR until I get my license. I actually removed it from the mount since it kept hitting things and made the vehicle almost 11 feet tall.

I unlocked my tyt th9800 as much as possible I have a GMRS license and even though it’s not approved for that service I programmed it in just in case of emergency since my family can all use my license for GMRS and therefore I have radios for all of them. This has reduced power output on frequencies that high.

I found it particularly frustrating that my local fire service’s main frequency is just below 6m range something around 46Mhz so I can’t hear that on the Yaesu clone.

The hand mic is actually very nice on these and the face plate is relocatable so the unit can be mounted in a cool location. I have read about the cross band repeat causing erratic behavior and overheating at full power on these. Two D9000s and a cable kit and either two antennae or a duplexer can make a normal repeater (again not full power and cooling required) but the 9800 does not have the right connector to make that happen easily.

Chazsbetterhalf and Chaz like this.
  8. Chaz

Chaz

Thanks for the info Joseph Valenti

Always good to heat first hand experience.

I was unaware it was only FM TX on 10M.

That was one part of my interest, but only a small part as everyone says 10M is "dead" during the current solar cycle. But it will be getting better in a few years.
    :sherlock:

You say 10 & 6 M are "only on the left side".. I am presuming you mean only the left VFO?

It would be interesting (fun) to crossband my HT on VHF or UHF over to the 10 or 6 M bands.

I am primarily in the market for a nice VHF/UHF system for ISS contact, and figured that rig could offer a bit more interesting options down the road.

What are your impression of it as a VHF/UHF rig?

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  9. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

Like I said I only listen right now, but FWIW I know UHF is at reduced power max of 40W and the higher you go the lower it goes, like on GMRS repeater frequencies it goes down quite a bit even with 1.02 SWR the output power is less than 35W, I don’t remember exactly what it was, it might have even been 27w.

For purely VHF/UHF use you have lots of options. If you are analog only the options are so numerous that budget is the main consideration then choose from that narrowed list.

There are digital modes available in some radios In the next price bracket up now. If that’s of interest, I’d recommend seeing what’s in use in your area. I haven’t really used them yet.

Some areas use a lot of 220mhz. I don’t hear much around me, but I have a Tri band that can do 220.

As for the two lower bands, they are on VFO A only but cross band repeat is bidirectional, I believe, so you can repeat A to B and B to A at the same time if I’m not mistaken. I can’t legally test that.
    Also the hyper memories are cool, you can program both sides to one button press as well as most of the radio’s configuration. The software is decent. Also CHIRP compatible.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  10. bigfrank

bigfrank

Lots of stuff going on here. Getting more into digital modes. Bought a hotspot and have been talking all over the world via Yaesu system fusion and Wires-X rooms. Also been doing some satellite work. Had my first (and others) good contacts on SO-50 using an Elk log periodic handheld antenna and a Baofeng UV5-R HT. Still trying to get APRS packets from the International Space Station. Have been able to get the downlink, but having a bit of trouble with the uplink. Lots of fun!

11. Chaz

Chaz

Sounds fun bigfrank
    :cool:

Kinda embarrassed to say that I've not been doing anything interesting lately
    :emb:

I've been on the air a little.. but not nearly as much.

Easing back into day-shift life
    :dancer:

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  12. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

So I just looked it up, there is a 6m FM repeater near me operated by a man from my town who also has a 2m repeater in town. In the storm traffic picked up and it was awesome getting news, info, entertainment from the local HAMs. I contacted some of them off the air and waiting to see if a local club is nearby. I may just try to pass the tech and general in a week a few towns over so I can get on with these guys. They seem nice and active as well. Amateur extra, I peeked ahead, seems to be ok tech wise, math may take a little longer, but I would have to learn the customs and regulations sections.

13. Chaz

Chaz

Cool Joseph Valenti

Yeah with the storms yesterday, I'd imagine there was plenty of on air traffic.

Bands and reg's I had to study hard as well.

I'm sure you'll do fine.

14. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I couldn’t wait any longer, it was too frustrating to not be able to push the button so I took the exam and passed elements 2 and 3 this evening. I didn’t try for Extra, but one of the examiners said, “see you in a month or two”. :smoke:

Now the frustration is intensified while I wait for my license to appear online, but at least I know it will come soon.
    28CAAC61-5A0F-4770-A4E1-2D9FB8EBA3F2.jpeg

15. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Good job!

16. Chaz

Chaz

Excellent
    :dex::dex:

Congrats
    :handshake:

Do you have the ULS link?

I know it's in this thread.

Found it..
    License Search

Depending on how the VEC where you tested sends the info to the FCC, you may get it in a day or 2.

With the online testing I heard of some getting their call sign within hours.
    :cool:

Welcome to the rabbit hole
    :makeitrain"

:rofl: :lol:

17. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I think I’m going to try to get a deceased relative of mine’s callsign since I’m eligible for the class he was. But I have to be assigned one first. The exam was in person. Online exams were saying they only do one element at a time and you need a windows laptop with a built in webcam. I don’t have cameras on my laptops.

18. Chaz

Chaz

19. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

I got the license, laminated it, and made contact with the local repeater this morning. Then I moved 2 trailer loads of wood. But I forgot the photo so it must not have happened.

20. Chaz

Chaz

:doh:

I hate it when my wood disappears
    :hair:

Went on the radio for an hour tonight, but no contacts. Coulda joined in on a net, but wanted to call CQ for a bit.