In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Bird watchers here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by metalcuttr, Nov 1, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Thats cool. Was it hooting during the day? We heard one here a couple nights ago

metalcuttr and Eric Wanderweg like this.
  2. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

This was around 7 last night. Nice you have one hanging around your place.

metalcuttr and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Plenty of woods and plenty of critters. Wishing they'd eat more chipmunks. Not that often we hear them. Of course with the warm weather the doors are open so we can hear them.

4. Moparguy

Moparguy

Saw this gold finch this morning. They're pretty common to see around here in the earlier part of the day.

PXL_20240614_113201263.jpg

PXL_20240614_112921516.jpg

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im making my coffee this morning and out of the corner of my eye I see a big hawk (or bird of prey) land and take off real quick. Dunno what it got (if anything) as feeder was empty. No loose feathers on the ground. Wouldn't mind if a chipmunk or five disappeared. Squirrels too.

6. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Pup and I have enjoyed our morning bird time, Well he's the ground critter watcher. Seeing the parents feed their fledglings and watching the fledglings trying to land on the feeders is a bit comical. Some crashes and mishaps are the norm.

All the nest boxes are full, So we added another for the bluebirds. Hope they move in before the wrens get it. 3 of the boxes we have out are filled by house wrens. 1 has the tree swallows and the last 2 have house sparrows. We also have a small wren house on a tree, but no one has use that in 2 years. I'm tempted to remove it from the tree and add another T-post for it. 7 boxes total now, May still add another.

Last thursday we had Mr bear visit and he got one of the hummingbird feeders before Brodie and I could get out to shoe him away. Sad watching them come to where the feeder was, So we went and bought another for them.

We have 2 cottontails, One out in the field and the other lives under our roto tree. Well seems the one under the roto has found a girl friend. Saw them playing out there Tuesday before dusk, Maybe we will have some baby bunnies??

7. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

As well as all the other visitors to our feeders, we have also had some cottontails show up recently. They seem to like to hang with the birds and squirrels for a while every morning. We have also noticed some bunny hanky panky going on. Most everybody is welcome in the yard except moles, crows and raccoons! They are just a bunch of troublemakers! No bears here to worry about.

8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Goldfinch showed up again. Hopefully they stay for the Summer IMG_5647.JPG IMG_5646.JPG

MikeInMa, bogieb, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Just watched this flicker foraging for ants. Didn't think I could get the camera in time. See them every now and then in the yard. Maybe 1-2 times in the cold on the suet feeder. IMG_5660.JPG IMG_5661.JPG IMG_5662.JPG IMG_5663.JPG

bogieb, metalcuttr, jtakeman and 3 others like this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Dont see any up your way?

bogieb, metalcuttr and MikeInMa like this.
  12. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

We got flickers this year, to the suet block. 1st time they were noticed.

They were around in early spring g for a few weeks. Haven't noticed one recently.

metalcuttr likes this.
  13. bogieb

bogieb

Not often. I had one a couple of years ago helping with the ants. But I've been in NH over 35 years and only seen them during 2 of those summers.

metalcuttr, buZZsaw BRAD and jtakeman like this.
  14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Raccoons are regulars here. Somehow they managed to unlock the lid on the garbage can and made a mess with the trash. :headbang:I had a single screw holding it on which held but they pried it open. :picard: Cleaned the mess up and put a second screw in it.

metalcuttr, MikeInMa and jtakeman like this.
  15. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I don't poison my yard for insects because it's effect on songbirds (thin eggshells as well as killing off their food). This means that there are lots of bugs, grubs and earthworms that the raccoons like as well as the birds. Consequently the raccoons are always tearing up the sod to get to the goodies. I guess being nice to the birds is a two edged sword!

16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

We don't either. I notice their digging in the yard on occasion. Pretty sure ours is skunks though.