In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Bird watchers here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by metalcuttr, Nov 1, 2021.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Bluebirds seem to prefer an open space and were mostly wooded. I did see one once at jo191145's place in the last year or two. Couldn't get a pic.

Junk is such a harsh word when you're a hoarder. I prefer treasure! :rofl: :lol:

wildwest, bogieb, metalcuttr and 3 others like this.
  2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

My wifeys fav, One of the reasons we moved here along with the view. She was so happy when we put the first nest box up and she got a pair to move in. We've since seen this pair raise 4 sets of youngin's. And they have what looks to be 3 babies in one of the boxes this year. We notice a young pair checking out the box that is vacant and we hope they are our next breeding pair.

We went to visit our old neighbor on the lake yesterday evening and it was nice to hear our old friend the mockingbird again. Since we left that area, No one has any feeders up that we could see. Most of the group at the yard party said it was because of the bears and fear of being fined by the state for attracting bears. My fear is it will hinder the bird population as many numbers are in decline.

Open space or fields are their favorite area's. We are right across the street from a small horse farm. They have a 2 acre field which they let grow for the wild life. It also has a small pond with cat tails growing. The red wing black birds like hanging out in them.

I was spreading some fresh top soil in our little field Saturday and Sunday. We had a flock of robins picking out the grubs an such. We are getting the field ready to plant some native wild flowers in hopes to attract other bird varieties. :) I'll try to get some pic's when the rain lets up. There were a few hopping around when I took Brodie for a walk this morning.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Having worked outside and the son of avid bird feeders I've come to know birds and their songs. I really appreciate mockingbirds as they will serenade all day long perched atop a fir tree or utility pole. Even now where I'm working there is a catbird and red wing that sing all day. Sure makes the day less monotonous.

Robin's seem to have a sixth sense for freshly turned soil. I was fixing a mailbox a couple years back and low and behold a robin was there within minutes looking for worms. Somewhere I have a pic.

4. Horkn

Horkn

We've always had a lot of bluebirds here at my house. There's some open fields and grassy areas, and tree lines.

Hummingbirds are the ones I've been writing at getting more to be around those house over the years and my plan is working. The birds come back to the sane area every year. Like I mentioned before orioles are beginning to be more commonly seen.

Chickadees, bluejays, nuthatches, robins, cardinals woodpeckers( even pileated ones) several kinda of hawks and owls, gold and other finches, flickers, crows ravens and turkeys are what we have here. Plus all sorts of ducks with a couple of rivers within walking distance, Canadian geese and sandhill cranes.

5. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Sitting on the back porch having my morning coffee(waiting for the rest of the sleepy heads to wake up). I got to see Mr Pilated inspecting our ash tree that was killed by the ash boring beetle. Don't see him to often, So I feel a bit blessed today.

wildwest, bogieb, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I see and here them on a fairly regular basis. Love to see one at a feeder, BUT the other woodpeckers love the wood shingle siding on the house. Cant imagine a pileated jackhammering on it! :picard:

wildwest, bogieb, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  7. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

At my Mother in Law's house the Flickers hammered the screens out of the bird block between the rafter tails and were making a nest in the second story overhead. I went up and stapled 1/4" hardware cloth over the holes while they were away. They opened up four more BB holes and I covered them also. They preceded to rip and tear at the hardware cloth and surrounding wood. The damage was unbelievable. I have seen what a Pileated Wood Pecker can do to a tree compared to a Flicker. I don't even want to consider what one would do to a house!

8. Warner

Warner

We had one jackhammering away at an unused satellite dish one summer. It was mounted at the peak on the gable next to our bedroom. I’m not to fond of getting up on the 40’ extension ladder but the Mrs. was even less enjoyable to listen to than the woodpecker!

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  9. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Momma tree swallow keeping an eye on me as I was weed eating around the garden.

Tree swallow nesting.jpg

10. scajjr2

scajjr2

Been enjoying watching young bluebirds being taught by adults how to get their own mealworms from the hanging basket. There is another pole a few feet away and adults would bring some back to young'uns who sit with open beaks. Then a day or so later the young ones follow over to the basket but still get fed by an adult. Then it's fun to watch as adult grabs some mealworms but doesn't give them to the young one. After a day the little ones finally get the hang of it.

We've only had bluebirds around for about 3 years now but with a daily refill of the mealworm basket they are here year round. And a couple of the males have decided they don't like the way the starlings that wander by act cause they will divebomb and harass any that go to the basket.

Also seeing a lot more hummingbird activity this year. In the past would refill the feeder every 6-7 days. The past week it's every 2-3 days.

sam

11. clay shooter

clay shooter

our duck season starts septemer the 1ST

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

We've only seen one hummingbird here at our feeder this year. Normally the activity is steady all day.

wildwest, bogieb, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Our numbers are down, We had 20+ last year to maybe 5 this year.

Also not one chickedie or grackle, But we think it's mainly from the juvenile red tail hawk picking the smaller birds off at our feeders. We seen it dive on them a couple of time now.

15. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've had some grackles and catbirds take over the feeders. So, I've suspended refilling for a couple of weeks. There's plenty of natural feed and other properties with feeders. The birds will do fine.

Plenty of hummingbirds around here. Those feeders I'll keep replenishing.

wildwest, bogieb, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

occasional grackle or cowbird the only blackbirds seen here. I hear the catbirds "mewing" in the undergrowth, but never at the feeder. Only sunflower seed in the feeder and sugar water in the hummingbird feeder.

17. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Sugar water
    Suet blocks
    Black oil sunflower seeds

That's all I put out.

I used to put out thistle seed, but the finches gravitated to the sunflower seeds and the thistle would go moldy.

18. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Yeah that's weird. We tried a finch feeders years back. Goldfinches about the first day or two and then nothing. Finally gave it up. They were here for a bit this season, then left. Came back and gone again.

19. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

I found this guy today, sporting his Doc from Back to the Future hairstyle:
    IMG_3975.jpeg

metalcuttr, bogieb, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  20. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Last night I heard this owl before spotting it. He was watching for mice in a field across the road.
    IMG_3981.jpeg