In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Any Bird watchers here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by metalcuttr, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Warner

Warner

We have had them at our feeders for a couple weeks.

2. theburtman

theburtman

I just saw one a few minutes ago

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ms. buZZsaw wanted a new feeder. Put it up last night. We chuckled as the birds were confused with the different perches. Watched a nuthatch fly in 3-4 times and hover in an attempt to land. IMG_5458.JPG

4. Knothead

Knothead

upload_2024-5-14_19-56-3.jpeg

Attached Files:

metalcuttr, Ronaldo, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  5. 0rion

0rion

metalcuttr, Knothead and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

It amazes me how fast the baby robins grow. Cramped in the nest is an understatement. I guess there's a lot of protein in worms. IMG_5460.JPG

7. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

This morning at 9:45.
    Screenshot_20240518_094637_Gallery.jpg
    This evening at 5:35.
    Screenshot_20240518_173509_Gallery.jpg
    Maybe they'll have another brood.

metalcuttr, bogieb, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  8. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

There was one fledgling left in the robin's nest this morning. Gone when I came though late this afternoon. I zoomed from a distance as I know they'll jump out of the nest if I come too close. IMG_5472.JPG

9. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

You're picture looks good. Even for zoomed in.

Yeah i got as close as i felt they wanted me to get with my video and then i snapshot outta there. Little trick my buddy taught me. Worked well in this situation cause their nest is about a foot over my head, kinda hard to see the screen. Thinking about it now i should've turned on the flash. Would've helped to brighten things up.

metalcuttr, bogieb and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  10. bogieb

bogieb

Your pics came out well enough. No reason to startle them with a flash. Today's cameras/phones are so good at gathering light even in less than ideal lighting that a flash is rarely needed.

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Im actually using an old digital camera that will auto flash unless I turn that option off. I think it flashed in that pic. My cell is a flip phone. I don't like smart phones.

12. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Hopefully hummingbirds like brown sugar water cause thats all i had on hand. I'll get some regular sugar the next time I'm at the store. Anyway i woke up this morning and looked out the window at the suet feeders. I saw this real small bird on top of one and wondered what it was. As i got closer it took flight and i could then tell it was a hummingbird. Needless to say I'm getting my feeders ready.

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I opened the back door a short while ago and this baby finch (I think) just sitting there. I left it alone IMG_5501.JPG IMG_5499.JPG

14. Horkn

Horkn

The last could of years we've had orioles in our yard. Last year we saw them plenty and this year I heard the " Mr clean" song and I started looking and saw one. Pretty cool

15. Jeffrey Svoboda

Jeffrey Svoboda

Checked this morning and there's another round starting to show up. Wonder how many will be in this batch.

Screenshot_20240525_093716_Gallery.jpg

16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

What is the most common you see at your backyard feeders? Our most commonly seen on the feeders has to be the house sparrow, Next would be the cow birds. They show in numbers along with the yellow and purple finches. The house sparrows even invade the chicken coop for the cracked corn the girls leave behind. This weekend we added more chicken wire to the spaces they were getting into. Hopefully stopping them from entering. Pesky lil brats!

We have some that show daily to the feeders but not that many in numbers. Red wing Blackbird is my fav. Bluebird is the wifeys fav. We also see Red breasted grosbeaks, Bluejays, Oriel's, flicker, morning doves, nuthatches, chickedies, tufted titmouse, and many I likely missed. Many bring along their babies. :) We have one goofy morning dove that lands on the feeders or should I say crash lands. She's pretty comical and often scares the other birds with her frolic's. Worth a giggle for sure! One of the male red wing black bird lands on the feeder and does a whistle which is pretty neat. I whistle back and he replies. One of the Blue jays mimics the red tailed hawk trying to scare the others off the feeder. We get a kick out of that! Also many cardinals and woodpeckers. We get downy hairy and red bellied. Used to get a red head, But he has been absent since winter. :(

Also common, But not to the feeders are the robin's, House wren's, carolina wrens, cat bird's and house swallows. Sometimes the barn swallows also pay us a visit towards dusk. Then the 4 or 5 crows show, Mainly after I mow the field. Can't forget mr red tailed hawk who sneaks about. Also a barred owl on occasion. Those 2 fly off as soon as they see us. We sometimes see a lone eagle flying over the neighbors field. Several turkey vultures, But never in our yaad.

We have 5 nest boxes that some have taken up to make their babies in. a pair of bluebirds. House sparrows and House swallows. And the noisy little house wrens we have set up a small box for that the sparrows can't get into. So far this year is the first time that 4 of the 5 boxes have a breeding pair. I guess we need more boxes?? ;) I want to try and get pic's but the Mrs. is afraid I'll bother the parents and abandon the babies. The bluebird box was slightly open and I peaked in to see 3 babies. Had to fix the box hasp. Didn't look into the others, But do hear peeps coming from them. The male house swallow defends his box like a trooper. I get swooped at when I mow near the box. I just been leaving a patch of grass for now. Don't want to stress him too much!!

Also feeders, What variety do you have up? We have a mixed seed and nut, a thistle, an all sunflower with shelled corn mixed in, 2 suets(mixed berry and mealworm). and an oriel set up with jelly and oranges. and of coarse 3 hummingbird feeders. Pretty much all set up on shepherds hooks so we can move about if needed. One of the hummingbird feeders is on a hanging basket hook with 2 hanging baskets hung right beside it so they feel more like they are actually on flowers.

2 birds we haven't seen this year are the common grackles and the indigo bunting. The bird I miss most from our other house is the mockingbird. He had many man made sounds in his call. He sounded like a car alarm in mid chatter.

bogieb, Ronaldo, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  17. bogieb

bogieb

I quit feeding several weeks ago because the resident bear is awake and roaming. And, starlings, crows and pigeons were basically hogging the feed and crowding out any of the "desirable" birds. The "desirables" were waning on their feeding activities anyway as natural foods become more plentiful.

I put up flower planters on my back porch railing 2 days ago. Yesterday I was out there reading and a female ruby throated hummingbird checked them out before moving on to other food sources.

I also saw the pair of cardinals yesterday morning. I had only seen the male within the last week (but I had heard him calling), but it is rare for me to catch a glimpse of the Mrs. Lots of bird chatter around - robins, goldfinch, catbird, blue jays, and woodpeckers. I've heard some owls in the early mornings but they are off in the distance and I'm not really good at identifying their hoots.

metalcuttr, Horkn, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I only know the "who cooks for you" which is the barred owl. We hear one around dusk at times, But he will chatter at times during the day. I've only seen him twice since we moved here. A lot bigger than I expected.

With all the mice and other critters we have about, There's plenty for him and the other birds of prey to hunt. I see mr red tail about everyday. An osprey weekly and an eagle on occasion.

bogieb, Horkn, Ronaldo and 1 other person like this.
  19. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

We have no "house" sparrows which I believe are the same as English sparrows and I'm thank full. Aggressive invasive bird. White throat sparrows the only regulars. Purple and house finches in flocks are the common birds.

Minimal blackbirds but do see an occasional grackle, cowbird and redwing. No starlings luckily as they are similar to the English sparrows.

Id love to see bluebirds here. Only have seen 3-4 in my life. Blue Jays the only "blue" bird seen.

bogieb, metalcuttr, Ronaldo and 3 others like this.
  20. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

We get bluebirds regularly. Here, they are drawn to a suet feeder, but it has a wire perch shelf they land on. It's yard sale, or tag sale in Ct. season. One man's junk.....

bogieb, metalcuttr, Horkn and 2 others like this.