In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Another trip to the High Country

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by metalcuttr, Sep 8, 2020.

  1. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,789
    Likes Received:
    27,750
    Location:
    western WA
    The excuses were, grouse hunting, mushroom picking and just get the heck out of Dodge. It was extremely dry so presumably all the grouse were down in the bottoms in the thick stuff, close to water. At any rate we didn't see any. We did pick about 4.5 lbs, of lobster and chanterelles. We need a rain to really kick off the season. Got some nice pics of Mt. Rainier and wild flowers(a little past their prime). Mountain and Shasta Daisies, Fireweed and a few Indian Paintbrushes. In the deep firs there was a small waterfall over a log and I disturbed a Varying Hare (Snow Shoe Hare) still in summer brown. He sat about 30 ft away for a picture. Not an extremely productive trip as far as meat and mushrooms but very satisfying to the soul!
     

    Attached Files:

    Rope, MFMc., Boogeyman and 7 others like this.
  2. fishingpol

    fishingpol

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    6,502
    Likes Received:
    39,646
    Location:
    Merrimack Valley, Ma.
  3. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,508
    Likes Received:
    95,497
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    your first mountain picture looks like a painting.
     
  4. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,278
    Likes Received:
    58,473
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Beautiful!!
     
    Midwinter and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  5. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,789
    Likes Received:
    27,750
    Location:
    western WA
    A correction: What I was calling a Shasta Daisy, is actually an Alpine Aster. This from my Wif who keeps me honest!
     
  6. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
    I got some fireweed honey off Amazon, and it might be the best honey I've ever tasted.
     
    eatonpcat and metalcuttr like this.
  7. metalcuttr

    metalcuttr

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2018
    Messages:
    3,789
    Likes Received:
    27,750
    Location:
    western WA
    Funny, I just recently got some also at a local Farmers Market (mask and all). It is good! I rushed right home and made corn bread to put it on. Some times, up high, near newer burns, we will see an electric fence enclosure with 20 or 30 hive boxes in it. These are growers harvesting high meadow honey, fireweed included. In spite of the electric fences, they still occasionally get hit by bears. They just can't resist the sweets. Like people in that respect I guess except they don't get corn bread with it.
     
    eatonpcat and Midwinter like this.