In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Another Oil Thread..

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by HoneyFuzz, Apr 30, 2024.

1. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

I have a cousin that works in a hospital and she brought me some marked specimen cups. I can fill these up ahead of time and take some along if I'm cutting off site. I fill up to 3.0 ounces and add to a gallon of gas, swish out with a gurgle of gas and I should be at a 42.1 ratio or thereabouts. Isn't any different than a ratio rite or any other container to measure, I suppose, but they are really handy. 20200729_115715.jpg 20200729_115730.jpg

2. Dok440

Dok440

This is exactly what I do. I run Husky XP or Red Armor.

metalcuttr, JD Guy, RCBS and 3 others like this.
  3. JRHAWK9

JRHAWK9

metalcuttr, HoneyFuzz and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

HoneyFuzz where did you get the vent kits?

metalcuttr and HoneyFuzz like this.
  5. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Amazon

metalcuttr likes this.
  6. RCBS

RCBS

I refuse to belittle myself with any of the California cans of late. I went on fleabay and purchased a couple of older 1 gallon Blitz 1 gallon cans still in great shape. My other cans have mostly been converted to the Easy Pour nozzles with plastic vents installed. (the vents do seem to get brittle fast but are cheap to buy) If you are filling your tractor with 5 gallon cans, get one of these and fuel will flow almost too quickly!

Delivery Destination – EZ-POUR
    [​IMG]

Mix oil is run at 40-50:1. Been using red armor measure bottle thingy lately but just mixed a gallon of Makita synthetic for the trimmers (love the smell). Have some Ktec I'll be trying out soon.

Run whatever you like, so long as it's JASO and for air cooled 2-cycle engines. Some will keep your internals cleaner than others. I feel like fresh gasoline is more important than choice of oil. Ratio...anything in between manufacturer's spec and fouling plugs is fine, IMO. 40:1 will see your crank bearing 'wet' with oil upon teardown, 50:1 less so. (personal anecdote)

7. buzz-saw

buzz-saw

Echo Red Armor.
    40: 1 with VP non ethanol and I use a graduated cylinder to measure oil.

8. Warner

Warner

I like used motor oil. No measuring just a splash in the tank each fill. Use it for bar oil too. No fussing around with different jugs!

T.Jeff Veal and HoneyFuzz like this.
  9. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

:rofl: :lol:
    :whistle:
    :thumbs:

metalcuttr and HoneyFuzz like this.
  10. Warner

Warner

Price is right too!

11. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Look what just came in the mail !
    20240504_173750.jpg

ammoaddict, Barcroftb, RCBS and 6 others like this.
  12. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

13. RCBS

RCBS

Was hoping he was gonna pull the jug. I like to see the bottom end when speaking of mix oil and ratios. Want it looking a little slimy. Is this the oil that some run at 100:1?

metalcuttr and Eggshooterist like this.
  14. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Saber is their 100:1 oil. Ive tested around 40 oils at 100-300:1. That's at 8-9 hours each ratio under constant high load. Dominator, Honda hp2, Red Armor and Castrol Go are the only 4 the made it through all the testing without internal engine damage.

I also do, what I call a cling test, where I take 40:1 mixes and dye them dark purple with an oil dye, run a tank of the mix through the engines then let set for 6 months. Upon opening I record, with photographs, and share in my oil testing pm. The purple dye makes the oils visually identical which makes seeing the residue difference easy. Dominator leaves nearly as much oil behind as red armor in these rests. Both leave oil clinging to everything. Without the dye, red armor look like it performs much better because its so dark red, where Dominator is almost pink in comparison.

metalcuttr, Mrxlh, Barcroftb and 4 others like this.
  15. huskihl

huskihl

Dominator leaves a small puddle at 40:1. I use 32:1 because it’s easy at 4 ounces per gallon, and because it doesn’t hurt anything.

I started seeing some responses elsewhere saying that they didn’t use Dominator because it started to build up carbon and decided I would take the muffler cover off one of my most used saws and see. I’m not looking for oil, I am showing the lack of carbon buildup

16. RCBS

RCBS

Does the hand dyno notice the extra boom from a higher ratio? Yeah, I got you on the video. I've never really had any issues with buildup, so bottom end lubrication is always my curiosity. Of my saws I've had open, they have carbon patina on top of the piston, but clean skirts & rings. Have seen less of it since I stopped using XP mix exclusively.

17. huskihl

huskihl

I’ve never been able to tell a difference in power. Kart racers found out back in the 70s that mid 100 cc engines made the most power at 18:1, so chainsaws being slightly smaller with lighter parts should make the most around 20–24:1.

18. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Makes my old cup..look older !
    All set and ready..still keeping the rag just in case ;)
    20240506_153341.jpg

19. RCBS

RCBS

I have several funnels wrapped in shop rags. Got tired of never finding a clean one when I need it. Got enough of em that most are 'job specific' (fuel, oil, or other).

20. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

I use a 100ml graduated cylinder to measure mix oil. I rinse it out with the mixed fuel, dry it with a shop towel, and store in a ziplock bag inside my fuel locker. Same with all my funnels except they get cleaned with carb cleaner before being bagged / stored.

Mrxlh, metalcuttr, Barcroftb and 4 others like this.