In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Another Black Rifle thread..

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by In the Pines, Sep 29, 2020.

1. ErikR

ErikR

So, I got the red dot sighted in. It's not going to break any records for small group sizes, but the giggle factor is off the charts! Full auto is an absolute hoot! Compared to full auto from a real AR, this things a blast.. no recoil, no muzzle climb, no neighbors calling the sheriff... just bbbuurrrrrrppp...25 bb's at 1400 rounds per minute.. then it's time to reload.

I stuck a fiberglass driveway marker in the ground 25 feet from the door on the back of the garage, slipped a pop can on it, and had at it!!
    Gaze in awe of the beauty and carnage!! LOL

20211128_150410.jpg

20211128_151623.jpg

2. Eckie

Eckie

Wow! Ate that can up! A bb going 1400 fps is nothing to snicker at. Wonder what kind of penetration you could get.... Could you hit a baseball at say..20 steps? 30 steps?

How long does a CO2 cartridge last? If only you could rig up large mag system....

Edit...I see mis read...1400 rounds per min, not 1400 fps... Do you know what the fps is?

Screwloose and Horkn like this.
  3. corncob

corncob

Well, I hold a BATFE class 3 license which allows me to own full automatic weapons made before the end of WW2 and some year back I rebuilt a Nazi MG42 sub machine gun. It shot 8mm Mauser belt fed over the top and cycle rate was 1200 rounds per minute in select fire mode. With a lightened extractor (had my favorite Paul Mauser double claw), it would do upwards of 1800 rounds per minute. I sold it to a collector. I could not afford to feed it and it was very hungry. Could blow through a full ammo can in 45 seconds.

American troops called the MG42 Hitlers buzz saw because in select fire it sounded like a chainsaw. I have dozens of firearms today, some WW2 vintage (I like Lugers), but no more select fire weapons. and candidly, no modern AR platforms either. I don't like AR's, never have. Closest thing I own to an AR is my Accuracy Systems International accurized Mini 14 Target rifle chambered in .223. At 150 yards, it makes 1 ragged hole providing there is no wind drift.

4. ErikR

ErikR

The box says 430 feet per second so not exactly screaming. It's not near as accurate as a good pellet rifle, but I expect to get better as I get used to the heavy trigger pull. In the mean time, the full auto fun makes up for it!!

Relatively cheap shooting too.
    2400 bb's at Walmart $5.97 ... or 6000 for $9.60 if I remember correctly...... that's 625 bb's for $1.00 in the big pack
    40 pack of co2 at Walmart $17.36 .....in store is a LOT cheaper than on line for both bb's and co2.... That's 87¢ each time I put in 2 cylinders... That's a whole lot of shooting for under $2.00

This rifle uses 2 co2 cylinders at a time, both loaded in the magazine along with the bb's. I'm not sure exactly how many reloads I'll get per pair of co2 cylinders.

Crosman does sell a magazine with 300 bb capacity, but the difference is the fact that it holds more in bulk, but not "loaded" and ready to fire. The high Capacity mag still only loads 25 at one time with the rest in reserve, you have to use the reserve to "load" the mag again, then you'd still only get 25 shots at one loading. But the high cap mag does not have to be removed from the weapon to "reload" it, just pull back on a handle on the bottom, shake it a little, push the handle back in, and rock n'roll..

Tomorrow, I'll shred more cans!

A few pics of the magazine...

20211128_182224.jpg

Side cover removed to load co2...

20211128_182214.jpg

bb's loaded.....

20211128_182435.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  5. Eckie

Eckie

That mag is interesting. I'm sure it's fun to shoot! Even as cheap as it is to shoot, you might could make a bb trap backstop for your cans or other targets to sit in or in front of, and recycle the bbs.

6. ErikR

ErikR

I'm thinking of something like that, maybe not to recycle the bb's but to contain them so they're not all over the yard or in the wife's flower beds. YouTube is full of good ideas... There's a guy that built a cart on wheels that has a angled steel plate to deflect bb's or pellets into a tub. It has shelves for cans etc. Or he can hang paper targets in front of it. It even has a strip light for night shooting.

7. ErikR

ErikR

Since I retired and moved north 11 years ago, my supply of ammo has been cut off... It was fun to burn through a 30 round stick mag of 9mm with one of the county's H&K mp5a3... These days, with the crazy cost and unavailability of ammo, a guy would go broke feeding firearms like I did 11 years ago... It was truly enjoyable to be a firearms instructor and spending all day at the range, several weeks a year.. I miss that.

8. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Speaking of cheap fun 0.177 plinkers, I bought a Sig Sauer P226 a few months back. I got it with 2 magazines, which each hold 16 pellets or BB's. Each end of the mag has a cylinder that holds 8 "rounds". Fire 8, eject the mag, flip, insert and send another 8 down range. It seems to like the BB's much better than the pellets (the velocity is much better) The good: it feels like the real deal; plenty of actual metal on it. Even the slide cycles back and forth. Obviously it's cheap to shoot and I can use it in my backyard without being hassled. The bad: The CO2 gets depleted fast. I notice the velocity drops off after just a few shots. I wonder if it's because some of the CO2 is being wasted actuating the slide. Cool gimmick and all, but c'mon. They claim up to 380 FPS so for plinking inside 10-15 yards it's great. After that, and especially once you've shot more than one magazine, you can actually watch the drop with a keen eye as you're going for targets 30+ yards out. I kind of wish I went with the Sig Sauer MCX air rifle, but oh well. For pest control I still have my Crosman single shot 0.177 cal break barrel, which has dispatched plenty of nuisance animals and aluminum cans.

P226.jpeg

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

The cheap Bbs are the main reasons why I opted to throw down on those guns. It was just simply since it's cheap and still a good training device and the ammo isn't in short supply. Many were grabbing at it last year at the same time as now so it was somewhat hard to find specific pellets or bbs. Some I found were a frangible type making it safer to hit a target without ricochet! Even this happens with lead pellets as I shoot them off the back porch when I'm bored before dinner. Now I go back to the bb aisles and the guns and all are back in supply. People had a hard time finding ammo for their real shooting and now it's really expensive. I know the bbs would hold me over not getting range time in. It takes a bit of time getting things ready for that sort of thing and often they are full of people that all have different agendas they are trying to accomplish.

Screwloose, In the Pines and Horkn like this.
  10. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yeah I have a 50 cal ammo box full of 9mm it probably weighs close to 40-50 lbs. You'd have fun getting that down to brass tacks.

Screwloose, In the Pines and Horkn like this.
  11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

One of the things I've tried is shooting my m&p version and it was really hard to tell if it was shooting or not so I kept firing. Come to find out if you fire it enough it will "spend" the co2 regardless of you shooting it or not so the o rings and fittings all happen to shrink.

12. Eggshooterist

Eggshooterist

Very cool.

Screwloose likes this.
  13. In the Pines

In the Pines

hatsan25.JPG
    new addition, .25 hatsan jet 1 with 8 shot mag. single shot sidelever.
    Added a cheap laser sight onto for laughs but not shabby with it either.
    This picture doesn't show it well but their are picatinny rails on both sides of the pistol.
    Top rail is dovetail but I don't think I need anything else.
    I only put 2 clips thru it for testing and out of the box it was hitting the can pretty close to the letters I aimed for. Both iron sights and the laser. It needs dialed in a lot better but
    right out of the box and pointing and shooting is pretty nice imo for these old eyes.

It comes with a butt stock which is why the grip has that weird looking bottom.
    it locks into the grip and slides into the top where the grip extends past the back.
    that black knob looking thing in front of trigger guard is the cap for the foster fitting.
    It takes 3600 psi and allows 16 shots without a refill, possibly 21 shots.

ErikR, Ronaldo and Eric Wanderweg like this.