In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

And we are off!

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Woodwidow, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    It has been a fun trip. We didn't have any trouble with the holding or water tanks but one night we used the hose for city water supply and it froze. This unit is definitely not a winter unit. The floors are quite cold. Now we are back on Vancouver Island, we just have to contend with rain for a couple of days.

MikeInMa, Chvymn99, eatonpcat and 3 others like this.
  2. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Last post of the thread. We made it home safely.

Our last campsite was a rainy one. Welcome home to the west coast.
    100_6590.JPG

As we headed up island, we were surprised by all the colour in the trees. This year has been a real colourfest for fall colours.
    100_6591.JPG

100_6593.JPG

As you can see, it was a grey off and on rainy day as we headed home.
    100_6594.JPG

100_6595.JPG

100_6596.JPG

100_6597.JPG

100_6598.JPG

What a surprise to reach our end of the island and have bright blue and sunny skies. It was gorgeous.
    100_6599.JPG

100_6600.JPG

100_6601.JPG

The best part was the newer r-pod fit in the same spot as the old one. I will have to trim the rose bush back to get the winter cover on.
    100_6602.JPG

My rosemary bush has disappeared behind the r-pod so someday I will have to move it. Probably easier just to get cuttings and start new ones.
    100_6603.JPG

I hope you enjoyed our holidays with us. Our province is quite big and has a variety of terrain and climates in it. It is 1.36 times bigger than Texas and we only went up north about 1/2 the distance. We traveled 7000 km or 4350 miles and yet there is still lots to see. Another trip awaits us.

3. rottiman

rottiman

Thanks for taking us on your trip. It was awesome to see a lot of beautiful country. Glad you safely made it home and good luck in the future with the "new" R Pad

4. John041

John041

Thank you for the pictures !!!! Do you have plans for "our" next trip ?

5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

We are thinking in the spring when the border restrictions ease of heading south into "Zane Grey" country. I haven't added up all the credit card receipts yet so that might be a factor in whether we go or not.

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Or you could head toward MI right at the end of April! You just might find a happy group of hoarders cutting wood, eating, drinking and shooting the bull. You would be very welcome.

7. Backwoods Savage

So glad you got to see the trees in color before you returned home and glad you had a good trip.

wildwest and Woodwidow like this.
  8. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

That idea has crossed our minds a few times. Going across Canada in March and April might be quite the adventure. Although it would be spring on Vancouver Island, parts of the trip would be in winter conditions. The r-pod came with winter tires though.

9. Backwoods Savage

Might have to cut south a bit but by late April there should be few problems.

wildwest, Woodwidow and eatonpcat like this.
  10. Rope

Rope

Fort St John isn't far on the map from Watson Lake. Where the sign post forest is. That area is full of buffalo and elk everywhere. At Muncho Lake where the mountains come down to the jade green waters. What a wonderful journey you had, have you made it up to Kluane Lake National Park in the Yukon just above Whitehorse or Tombstone National Park below Dawson City, YT?

11. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Ft. St. John is the farthest north we have been. I have always wanted to go to Watson Lake as my father was stationed there for awhile during WW II.

I was hoping to see a moose or elk while we were up there but it didn't happen. There is so much to see up there but we were running out of camping season as it was. After hearing stories of people traveling the Alaska highway, we want to be a bit more prepared to make the trip than we were this time. You know - packing extra gas, propane, a chainsaw, extra tires, generator, winter clothes just in case, etc.

Backwoods Savage, rottiman and Rope like this.
  12. Rope

Rope

I live a few miles off milepost 1314 Alaska Highway, those things are always a good idea plus a tire patch kit and car air compressor. If your not good a road side repair, a Garmin InReach or rental Sat phone is a good idea. This past summer we had a broken spring on our travel trailer, I cut a 4" spruce down on the side of the road. Measured the distance between the spring perches with my boot lace then cut the tree, jacked up the trailer inserted wood. Frame sat on the wood, spring perch kept it in place and the wheel well off the tire, made it 200 miles home. The territories above Ft St John is wonderful, Fort Nelson is a cool place too.

13. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Car tire patching kit is a great idea. We usually have a small car air compressor in the truck for the airbags.

campinspecter is quite handy and always carries a tool kit. It came in handy a couple of times this trip. Used travel trailers always have glitches and this one was the kitchen sink that leaked. It didn't take him long to fix it.

I am glad you were able to get your problem rigged enough to get it home. Our main worry is wheel bearings after seeing so many trailers stuck on the side of the road with a wheel missing. Not only does campinspecter have a service done on the wheel bearings before we go anywhere, we usually always packed an extra bearing kit but the only time we got to use it was for someone else stuck on the side of the road.

14. rottiman

rottiman

Alaskan ingenuity at it's finest ............... :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: Wish I was 40 years younger !!!!!!!!!!!

15. Rope

Rope

37CDF2FC-89A2-4C9D-BB8F-A84B4833B3B1.jpeg We weren’t able to move the axle back to center it better, but we got home without a tow bill. I had to have a replacement spring flown in on a Cessna 206 (210 mile flight). The beauty of living far from everything. You can see the tire damage, we made it just fine.

16. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Freight costs being high is the price we pay for living out in the boonies. Our costs aren't quite as high but shipping fees suck big time.

Great emergency repair.