In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

American Beech yard tree

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Eric Wanderweg, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Other than a small ornamental cherry tree from the previous owner, my yard is barren of trees. The properties on either side of me have fairly large 100+ year old trees, which keep my yard shaded for a good portion of the day. That limits my options quite a bit on what trees I can plant. Also I refuse to plant some exotic invasive tree, no matter how well it might thrive or pretty it might be. From what I was reading, Sugar Maple would do well partially shaded, and American Beech. I've seen quite a few beech trees in my town but none on my street, much less as a yard tree. I really like the look of beech trees too. I know they're a relatively slow grower but I'm willing to go into this for the long haul, knowing full well this will be a tree for future generations to enjoy. I've got a decent amount of gardening experience but have never planted a tree before. I feel like this is the right time for me. Thoughts/opinions?

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

There are slow growing trees and then there is beech! But people still like beech, and I am one of those people.

Plant now. Get rid of grass for 1-2' around the tree. Keep it watered if Mother Nature doesn't. Good luck.

3. rek

rek

Beech trees are significant as being signs of creativity and help to express the written word. There are lots of them in New England, planted years ago on library lawns..

4. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Give it plenty of water; maybe a down spout to root and they grow faster. Grandma planted one over old spring it grew fast. Well fast for beech

5. M2theB

M2theB

Nelson Henderson
    The true meaning of life is to plant trees under who’s shade you will never sit.

I think heard that on Paul Harvey 35 years ago. Stuck with me. Great ideal to remember. Even better to practice.

Beech on!

6. Midwinter

Midwinter

Beech are dependent on mycorrhizal fungi that grow on their roots. You'll have the best luck if you dig up a small sapling from an area where lots of beech trees are growing. That way, you'll be sure to get the mycorrhizae along with the roots.
    I did the same about 20 years ago, and it's gotten pretty tall! IMG_20210411_3693.jpg

7. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Ahhh, thanks for the tip. That was my original thought actually, rather than buying one online an not having a say in what I'd be getting exactly. I know of a place that has several acres of young beech trees growing under more mature canopy. It would be easy enough to go in there with a wheelbarrow and dig one up. That's a nice looking tree you've got between your stacks. How tall was it when you planted it there?

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just FYI, Beech trees are kinda messy...every time the breeze blows I have plenty of little branches (and sometimes big ones) to pick up around it...coats the ground with little beech nuts every fall too...its to the place that the grass is growing very poorly around it.
    We have a moderately wooded yard...I have Crimson Maple's, Sugar Maple's, Cherry's, Poplar's, Mulberry's, White Birch's, Red Oak's, Eastern White Pine's, Blue Spruce's, and a single Beech...well, there is a second small one, but its not doing well and I expect it won't make it long term.
    Anyways, they all make their own kind of mess at certain time(s) of the year...the Beech just does it year round...

9. Midwinter

Midwinter

About 6 inches!

10. Midwinter

Midwinter

I don't get nuts too often, but it hangs onto the lower leaves until spring, then lets loose... usually after I've cleaned up the yard.

11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

But the bears and porcupines will gladly clean up all the nuts...if they can get to them before the squirrels.

12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

No bears or porkys around my neighborhood...and only rarely see a squirrel on my place...for now, once my red oaks get bigger they will probably be around more...

Midwinter and Backwoods Savage like this.
  13. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Bears hey? Considering I already had black bears come through my yard several times last year, I guess I won't worry too much if they eat any of my beech nuts. Although I live on the outskirts of a small city, there's hundreds of acres of woods across the street from me, connected to many, many miles of almost uninterrupted woods. I frequently get bears, coyotes, fox, and deer coming through my neighborhood.

14. Warner

Warner

image.jpg I have this one beech in my side yard, I still has leaves from last year! We have had some pretty crazy wind lately like ripped shutters off the side of the house. There is a huge beech in a front yard I pass a bunch I have been meaning to stop and snap a pic but haven’t had time.

15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

My beech doesn't hold its leaves, but I do have 2 out of the 10 red oaks on the property that hold leaves all winter.

16. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg