In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

All you can heat - Silver Maple

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by mrfancyplants, Jun 1, 2019.

1. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Big, hot and ugly.rode home .5 miles w the trunk open.

Attached Files:

2. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

5E1803C8-1837-462E-9847-268298F7B023.jpeg 95AC8F60-618C-4E02-849C-C0A6291593EF.jpeg Thread title should be “all you can heat Norwegian maple”, but the neighbor went to town splitting this into chunks for me so I can get it out of their yard quicker. There are definitely some shorts and longs in here, but it sure is easier to move pre split. There are maybe two more loads this size left, but some will need some noodling before it gets split. The finish line for this score is in sight.

FatBoy85, Stephiedoll, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

my kind of neighbor. Norwegian is better than silver for sure and it splits easier. Doesnt look like too many noodlers in that pile though.

4. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Not many noodlers in there now but the neighbor hand split his way through at least a couple crotches. I was almost wondering if he rented a hydronic splitter without telling me.. i’m going to stop by the next couple fridays now that he is doing all the hard work for sure. I’m just stacking as is so I have something to split this winter.

5. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Norwegian maple, car hoarded home and separated into <= 18” and 18+.

I am assuming 18” will fit into my insert. The firebox measures a hair over 16” across. I should be able to resurrect some geometry, but then again, splits aren’t straight lines. What do you think?
    Fortunately it is rare that I play stove Tetris as smaller shoulder season fires are 80% of the season around here. Maybe my strategy will change now that I am putting more though into the fuel and throttling options with the tubes.
    And the longs, the neighbor was appreciative for the smaller pile I sent over last week, and he’s the one with the gas chainsaw anyways, so I’m thinking I’ll just take the majority over to him for pit wood. Do you think it will season enough for pit use by fall in this state of chunky splits?
    I left it in the car last night because it was too hot to unload. I was surprised at how much condensation was on the inside of the windows this morning.
    I kind of want to take the other neighbors cheap electric chainsaw for a spin too. I’m curious if sharpening the chain could put it in the realm of practicality for me.

Attached Files:

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think you will find that stacking them in diagonally will work, but not well...its surprising to me how much the stacking part affects how it burns.
    You basically made a solar kiln...

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

If most of your fires are "shoulder season" you can burn two logs and place the longer on the diagonal? I find myself burning like this often to get the "fireplace" effect of flames, keeping the draft slightly higher. Often watching the fire more than the TV.
    You always slice a cookie off the longer ones or give them to the neighbor.

I agree with brenndatomu as its a solar kiln. Do you think the misses would be upset if you started seasoning wood that way? Install a sunroof if it doesnt already have one!

Yes, sharp chains work well on all saws! Dont know how they compare with gas saws powerwise, but if sharp enough they will cut.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  8. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Just one or two carloads left. Hopefully the home owner will get these big ones split for me. I don’t know if my new, free, 18” saw could handle bucking that big round.

Attached Files:

9. billb3

billb3

Norwegian maple has bigger leaves than red maple and silver maple. They turn bright yellow in the Fall. They have white sap if you pop a leaf off where the stem attaches. Much closer to red maple than silver for BTU. Norwegian has such a dense canopy and root system that stunts and severely limits growth under them.
    Many people have them cut down when the lawn dries up and disappears under them when they get to a good size and they get there pretty quick. The bark usually looks "less grey" than red and silver maple.

And I'm pretty sure coma dating is illegal.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

what kind of saw did you get?

11. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

Ryobi 3716

The red oak is all split, and some more stacking to do yet. I think I have 6 or so trunk loads of it, all through my honey dump, community firewood drop off. Need to find a separate place to stack it since it is counter productive to stack it on top of wood that will be ready sooner.

12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Did you get that saw running okay? I think i remember your thread about it.
    Is the oak at the dump gone or are you still working it?
    You could always stack oak on top for time being and move when you burn other wood. Its a pain i know but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Sometimes i play "musical firewood" as im reinventing my PA/stacking area.

13. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

It’s running pretty well now. It can bog and stall at startup. But once it is running it is fine other than being under powered.

There is at least a big, ~12” long round of red oak and another 18” long one. I’ll prob get them if they are still there this week. Someone dumped a bunch of pine which keeps most of the hoarders away.

billb3 coma dating? Like dating someone in a coma? I missed the reference.

14. billb3

billb3

Probably a spell checker correction in an earlier post on this thread. Just struck me as funny. Sometimes even my own mis-spellings, typos and spell checker corrections are funny sometimes. Should have been accommodating. Which is pretty hard to spell correctly on its own.

15. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I took the safety tip off of my new to me ryobi. And, more importantly. got permission from the wife to head over to the neighbor with the Norwegian maple rounds. Part of the condition for the permission was that I get two more trips and then I’ll get my car cleaned and limit my car hoarding to the trunkal area at least until next year.

I think I can manage as I’ve been doing pretty well with the split trunk loads of oak. And there are some smaller Norwegians I have my eye on in my own yard.. I mean, they are invasive, so the only sensible solution is CSS. And some big branches my red maples really don’t need.

My current stash is well over my previous year’s three year usage. I do have a feeling my consumption will go up dramatically now that it is scrounged and free heat.

Back to the task at hand, those are some big trunks to slice up with my new puny saw, so wish me luck.

This isn’t all of it that I have stashed so far. More than another cord css’d and another small pile of rounds didn’t make the shot. All these rounds and chunks to the left are Norwegian maple, although there is more that I already collected.
    1EE9CB87-EC5C-48B0-AC1E-E38CAC1B9324.jpeg

16. Midwinter

Midwinter

It adds up, doesn't it? I'm glad your saw is running and your wife is on board for now, lol. You will be so glad you did all that, when it comes time to burn it! Nice work.

17. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

5FBF106A-A622-45CB-88E8-288B409AD446.jpeg 2B2F3A56-D567-4123-9970-41F8EAA46BCF.jpeg A7BBE904-1248-4B44-9CFF-DCC97A12FC3C.jpeg The saw was cutting like butter, and noodling. It bogged down a few times, but nothing I couldn’t finesse out of. This is all that’s left.. definitely less than one load. Just these three piles and I even grabbed a few of these and crammed them in the car after the picture.

18. Midwinter

Midwinter

V6ELcFL.jpg

19. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

20. mrfancyplants

mrfancyplants

I will say the ryobi seemed to be sipping gas(37cc). I just filled it up before I got started and I was done before the tank was. I haven’t even sharpened it yet, but I will before it’s next usage. The chain did stretch a tad during the noodling. I’m very pleased to have taken it through some paces.