In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Adding to the hoard 2020-2021

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Haftacut, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Haftacut

Haftacut

Getting back in stride with wood cutting for the season and made it out for a couple hours today. Started with a big locust limb a lady wanted taken care of followed by half a cherry tree that got blown over at another guys house then topped it off with part of a red oak blow down behind my dads. It all adds up and it was some really nice stuff! Good way to get the post thanksgiving blah moving! E4EB2BB9-DEE5-4E2C-B9F6-8C6193D56359.jpeg

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Sweet and a good job of stacking. Get what you can as the snow will fly soon, maybe next week.

3. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

Looks good! Can I ask, what is the theory about the angled pallets?

4. Haftacut

Haftacut

Thanks:yes: Snow won’t stop me! There’s always stuff I can get to. I’ll keep my progress updated through the thread this season.

5. Haftacut

Haftacut

Trying something different this year. Gonna go back to splitting everything before hauling back to the board. Stacking a perimeter, then Plan on laying down pallets in the middle and just loose throwing into a huge pile. Trying to keep all the pallets somewhat square so there are as few gaps as possible. We’ll see how it works out in reality compared to how it works out in my head:rofl: :lol: Trying to spend more time cutting and splitting and less time stacking. (That was my takeaway from seeing how jrider runs his operation) Always working to refine the process!

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Looks good. Love me some locust. Have to ask...why the diagonal on the pallets?

7. Haftacut

Haftacut

Check out the above post and give me your thoughts:handshake:

8. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

You'll have to let us know how it goes! I split by hand so I always take things in chunks by how much I can get done that day. Cut, split, stack, repeat. I'm afraid that if I waited for everything to be split, I wouldn't get anything stacked.
    It does feel like diagonal pallets would be less effective, I was just asking if there was a method to the madness.

9. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

More or less the same here. Ive ended up with a mound of splits unstacked. As much as i hate to admit it, there is some oak in my PA unstacked as i type. :emb:

10. Sinngetreu

Sinngetreu

:bug: Guess you have a few things to do before bedtime!

Actually, I have no grounds to say anything. I have full logs that need to be cut that are about 30" diameter. I look at them often, but the smaller easier stuff calls to me from the woods. :rofl: :lol:

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Does it get plenty of sun and wind? Id be concerned with mold growth.

12. Haftacut

Haftacut

Basically an overgrown fencerow. But the perspective of the pics is facing the fencerow so it kinda looks like woods. Behind me and in front of truck is open field and south is in front of the truck, so prevailing wind should hit hoard right on. Stored a lot here last year and it was nice and dry this fall. Hoping for the same conditions. Also going to cut the trees off that are holding the ends of my stacks so there isn’t shade Once the leaves are on and also so they don’t move in a good wind and knock my stacks over. We’ll see how it turns out. I’ll get some pics from the other side of the stacks so you can see how it all lays out and let me know what you think.:yes: Even with good wind and sun, with a pile that big, moisture may be an issue the further into the pile I get.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Well you wont know til you try. Hope it works out okay. Keep the pics coming. Looking forward to see it fill up. Did you sell all the wood in your building too?

14. Haftacut

Haftacut

All gone except what I keep for myself. Working on my trailer of nuglies for my stove right now, then red oak and maple for the furnace this winter:yes: I have one more load to haul to a couple ladies who I have been selling to for a couple years. They want a load at a time per month it seems.

15. Husky Man

Husky Man

I could NEVER have uncovered wood here, especially in a loose thrown pile, it would never lose enough moisture to burn, it would end up molding and rotting

Where I live, there isn’t any point in cutting, splitting and stacking wood, if you aren’t going to cover it 95200B52-762B-481F-9B93-5793F900BE1B.jpeg 73BA1C38-D782-48A1-8B4C-9B4A536C71D4.jpeg 9E7F7B14-6310-40D9-852D-598D5A1B96F2.jpeg

Doug :cheers:

16. Haftacut

Haftacut

I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and couldn’t agree more! Looks like you don’t have to go far to grab an armload on a cold night. Nice setup:yes:

17. Haftacut

Haftacut

I’ve noticed from some of your previous posts it appeared that you dump your wood in piles jrider. What are some practices you keep in mind to minimize the repetitious handling of firewood while ensuring that it seasons like you want it to?

18. Husky Man

Husky Man

Thanks, the tarps roll up and down quickly and easily, and used dependent on the weather. That shed holds about 2 cords

I have another not as pretty shed on the deck that has become more permanent than was intended, it is 4 rows, 12’ long, 8’ high, just a flat roof With tarps on the Top and sides, but the height makes it a bit less convenient to roll the tarps up and down on.

Right out side the patio door is an 8’ long 6’high pipe rack that is tarped, that is easy for the Wife and Daughter to get wood from if the house rack goes empty while I am working out of town

I am hoping to leave as much as possible in those sheds for Next winter, I have several cords in a carport and garden shed that I want to use first, and refill with the wood I still have to split and stack for the 22/23 winter

Doug :cheers:

19. Haftacut

Haftacut

Always nice to be one or two steps ahead when it comes to firewood! I’ve seen some setups in the upper peninsula similar to yours where the face of the woodshed is covered with tarps. Seems pretty effective.

20. Spirit of Two Socks

Spirit of Two Socks

Looks good. Very organized. Nice variety of wood. Great that you're keeping the wood off the ground. I think your plan as described will work well. Keep the pics coming!