In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Added a supersplitter

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by DaveGunter, Aug 20, 2022.

1. isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

I guess what I had was hybrid poplar. I asked. The grain was like it was braided. Very strange.

brenndatomu and In the Pines like this.
  2. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

The guy who owns Supersplitter is the son of the inventor of the kinetic splitter. All others are more-or-less copies of his original design.

buZZsaw BRAD, savemoney, Chud and 2 others like this.
  3. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I'm sorry, but this is not accurate.

Paul McCann owns Super Splitter and his father bought the business from the original inventor (Frank Graney) in 1991, and changed the name to Super Splitter. Used to be FXG (For Frank Xavier Graney) I believe Frank invented the design in the late 70's.

The part about others being copy cat's of Franks design is true.

4. Scotty Overkill

I apologize, I was simply going by this tidbit here off the SS web page......

SuperSplitter: Our Story

In the Pines, brenndatomu and Chud like this.
  5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

6. Scotty Overkill

7. Scotty Overkill

I just got off the phone with the folks at Super Splitter, ordered an upgraded actuator handle assembly, new return springs, a new release spring, and new rubber bumper kit for this old splitter. It should be good to go with those new parts! They were nice people, super easy to deal with.

8. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

ditto, used ones are like unicorns

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Just missed out on a J model for $700ish today...saw the ad last night but it said it was 2 weeks old, the price was $775 so I'm thinking there is no way this thing is not already sold, they just didn't mark it sold...so I messaged the guy and he said he still had it, and to call him, so I did. He said it was an older model, but he had just put a bunch of money into it right before he stopped using it a couple years ago, (older fellah) new rack gear among other things. He said it was running poorly since sitting, probably needed a carb clean.
    After all this then he says yeah I've got a guy coming for it in the morning...RATS! He said I call you if he doesn't buy it. So I'm thinking dang, missed out on that one! But then he calls me tonight...only to say that it did indeed sell...double RATS!

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

Are they that good anyway? For knots, crotches, twisted types of hardwood rounds?
    I dunno, I'm still sold on hydraulics here.

brenndatomu and In the Pines like this.
  11. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

:rolleyes:

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think there is a place for both types...the SS will do most, and then there are the pieces that just beg for about 30 tons of oil pressure to be used on 'em! No vertical on the SS, so if you are inclined to mess with some big ole rounds you either gotta noodle 'em, or use vertical to bust 'em up...unless maybe you have a helper and you can dangle a larger round over the SS with a loader...have yet to see a log lift on an SS...but maybe someone out there has done it?

13. Barcroftb

Barcroftb

There is a reason Super Split owners hang onto these things. You rarely see them go for sale unless it’s some old timer retiring from firewood.

I can agree with you gnarly knotty twisted pieces can be a chore on a ss, but I also found those rounds troublesome even on hydro. Those are the pieces that are just begging to be “split” with the gas-axe chainsaw!:saw:

Run a SS for awhile and you’ll find it’s really a blast. It’s a lot like hand splitting. If you have a branchy/knotty piece you can power your way through it. The wedge is more like a knife and will just cut through knots, but it’s much more fun and easier to read the wood and let the splitter fly.

I will say as the rounds approach 20-24” range it gets to be a chore to wrangle pieces up on the splitter. A manual log lifter from Split Second kinetic will also fit the Super Split but those are NLA. When I started considering a splitter to replace the brave dual split I nearly passed on the SS in favor of a Split Fire or Wolf Ridge, because I wanted speed but also a log lift.

Then I really thought how bad do I need a log lift? Do I need it the extra :makeitrain"it would have cost over the cost of the super split? I eventually decided all things being equal I didn’t need it. I have all these great chainsaws that I usually like running to “split” anything down that I couldn’t handle.

Your right though there isn’t a “silver bullet” splitter style out there. They all have attributes they are great at and other characteristics they are not so great at. Ideally a feller would have both hydro and kinetic :dex:

mr.finn, Cash Larue, Jutt and 5 others like this.
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

Thanks for the insight based on experience. :handshake:

Cash Larue, brenndatomu and Barcroftb like this.
  15. Haftacut

Haftacut

Very nice! If I were buying another splitter it would be a super split. Quite the experience for your nephew. Nice of you to take the time with him:yes:

DaveGunter, WinonaRail and Cash Larue like this.