In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Access Door

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by MAF143, Sep 22, 2020.

1. MAF143

MAF143

My wife was re-doing the bathroom at her Mom's place in town and I had cut a hole in the drywall to access the shower fixture fix the plumbing for her. Instead of drywalling it back closed, I made an access door to cover the hole so that the next time (next guy) that someone needs in there it will be simple.

I made it from some Honey Locust I had cut and milled last year and had the boards air drying in the basement near the woodstove area all last winter.

First pic is with the 1st coat of urethane on it. The second pic is showing some of the ray flecks that can be gotten if quartersawn. Kind of a fun little project.

shower fixture access panel.jpg

Ray Flecks.jpg

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Very nice! :yes:

MAF143, mat60, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  3. Andimus Prime

Andimus Prime

Beautiful! It sure beats the ones we use!

E67191EB-0D85-4012-9061-58066A4BD568.jpeg

MAF143, mat60, metalcuttr and 3 others like this.
  4. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Very nice, Monte!
    :salute:

5. bogieb

bogieb

Way to think ahead - and looks awesome!

When I had a carpenter in to do the framing and sheet rock for my bathroom do-over, that was my plan too. Oh, it wouldn't have been nearly so nice, but the basic concept was the same.

Unfortunately the guy decided to sheet rock and mud that wall - which I had not asked him to do - I only requested him to do the ceiling and around the pocket door that was installed so he could install the trim. Since I suck at mudding, I decided not to tear the sheet rock back down - although I did think about it for a couple of days.

MAF143, fishingpol, mat60 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

That’s a work of art!

MAF143, mat60 and metalcuttr like this.
  7. MAF143

MAF143

Thank you all for the compliments. I haven't really done much woodworking in years, but I do like doing some of this stuff, especially with wood that came out of the home farm woods. I'm hoping to get to some White Oak live edge serving trays over the winter, but time will tell. I know with all the honey locust here, I needed to do something with them other than just firewood. We have lot's of that too cuz there's plenty of HL that isn't straight enough for lumber. Still planning on making the deck behind the house out of HL when I get caught up with everything else...

8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I am all about having access doors having worked in the building trades all my life. Sure make life a lot easier when it comes to repairs or maintenance. I am used to the more utilitarian type but yours is a dandy! Never knowingly have seen HL wood finished. I sure like the colors and grain in your door. Very nice!

MAF143, brenndatomu and mat60 like this.
  9. mat60

mat60

Nice work. Like the look of the honey locust.

MAF143 and brenndatomu like this.
  10. timusp40

timusp40

You just gave me a idea. There is no easy access to the pipes of our master bath tub/shower fixtures. This will solve the problem when we remodel and it sure will make it alot easier for future repairs or chjanges Thanks!

bogieb, MAF143 and brenndatomu like this.
  11. MAF143

MAF143

It worked out well. The bathroom isn't quite finished yet, but the door is mounted to cover the hole in the wall. Just 2 #12 x 3" screws to hold it on the wall into the stud that is at the top and bottom of the opening. We still need to get the baseboard mounted and the toilet set back into place. She has done most of the work up there and she has done a great job. I think she's even more particular than I am...

bogieb and brenndatomu like this.