In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A way to remember my dad and help my daughter.

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by schlot, May 8, 2016.

  1. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    My daughter asked me to help do some work on her house since she is getting ready to sell it.

    One of the things she needed done was to paint the fascia and soffit on the tall peaks and upper bedroom windows. The roof pitch is about a 5:12 so I asked her for a scrap of lumber.

    Grabbing a piece of 1x8, I quickly put together a simple stand for the paint can.

    [​IMG]

    It dawned on me just after I got done that my father showed me this simple trick ages ago when he helped me with painting my house and her childhood home.

    Good memories! :)
     
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    Loon, cnice_37, Smokinpiney and 11 others like this.
  2. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Great solution schlot :thumbs:
    Good share too about your dad! Some things come full circle without us realizing it up front.
    Making more memories with your daughter: priceless :)
     
    wildwest, Woodwidow and schlot like this.
  3. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Thanks man. It was a LONG day of driving and work but it was well worth it. My middle son showed up and helped too.

    My "kids" impressed me with how hard they worked! Russ and I worked on the roof all day together. It was great showing him some things to look for as we worked and catching up with him.

    Beth ended up taking us to grab some food from a food truck event for my birthday. Good day indeed. :)
     
  4. ironpony

    ironpony

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,745
    Likes Received:
    20,782
    Location:
    Mid Ohio
    I can relate schlot, everyday when i pick up a tool i can hear my Dad teaching me how to use it. Also when i have a great idea, it was usually one of his that i remembered. i am in the process of trying to pass it all on to the next generation, not having a lot of success.
     
  5. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Keep trying...I know from my kids that they don't seem to be listening but sometimes they actually are! :)
     
  6. Woodwidow

    Woodwidow

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    15,514
    Likes Received:
    95,531
    Location:
    Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    ironpony when they have kids and they go to do something that you always did with them, they will not only remember but will tell their kids about it just like schlot did. we have been surprised as well.
     
  7. Canadian border VT

    Canadian border VT

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    Messages:
    19,640
    Likes Received:
    130,635
    Location:
    Vermont
    Schlot what a nice story and handy idea:yes:
     
    wildwest and schlot like this.
  8. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Thanks all. I took a better shot of the fireplace insert that I built for her this past Christmas.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  9. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    Made the trek again today to help my daughter out with her list. On the road by 7 this morning and made the trip just over 3 hours. It was perfect weather today.

    Tackled more fascia trim painting today. Here is the before shot. Lots of dark color.

    [​IMG]

    She wanted the fascia, trim and soffit painted white. This a shot of what we got done a couple weeks ago.

    [​IMG]

    At first she wanted the second story siding also painted white but I convinced her to leave it alone until after we got the fascia and trim done. She loved it this way so we went on to other things on her VERY long list. :)

    Painted the tall rear peak and another second story window like this today. She hates heights so guess who got the privilege? :)

    We also rebuilt a wood fence gate, cut and prepped up a new formica countertop, did some general cleanup, followed by replacing parts of some rotting plywood fascia.

    [​IMG]

    She had the old shingles that led to this damage, replaced a few years ago.

    I then offered to take a pickup load of old boards, etc. with me so I could drop off at the landfill later this week. Time for a sandwich then the trip home.

    Pretty tuckered out but well worth it. :)
     
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Woodwidow, cnice_37 and Eric VW like this.
  10. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,547
    Likes Received:
    141,560
    Location:
    US
    Nice work again, schlot :thumbs:
    Those soffits might need a little more venting? I can see some venting in the shadows.
    Great efforts. I'm sure your daughter appreciates you for all you're doing.:yes:
     
    schlot likes this.
  11. schlot

    schlot

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    5,256
    Likes Received:
    30,504
    Location:
    NW Iowa
    I thought so too, but the soffits don't actually vent the attic. It's an odd design.
     
    Eric VW likes this.