In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A new Handgun....

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Chvymn99, Jan 26, 2020.

1. boettg33

boettg33

Where are you finding the S&W MP Shield for $250? Cheapest I see out there is $374, and it’s not what I am looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bogieb, T.Jeff Veal and eatonpcat like this.
  2. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Twas $250 on buds just a few weeks back. Looks like $300 plus ffl fees is cheapest right now. And yes, it’s probably not what you’re after.
    My shield stays locked in a safe in my truck. Love my sig for edc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgeesaman, Eckie, T.Jeff Veal and 2 others like this.
  3. Eddie Southgate

Eddie Southgate

4. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

In 9mm for double stack, not super expensive, but reliable, not complicated. Small enough for carry and big enough to shoot a lot and get good, I’d say Glock 19. No modifications for self defense except a light mounted nightly when you’re at home. Maybe night sights.

I did put a NY trigger spring in one gen 3 and a , I think it was ghost 3.5 lb disconnect, combined the pull was about stock but reset much improved. I don’t like extended slide releases, they can cause issues if you hold high and I like to practice a universal over the top method that works on nearly every pistol ever.

5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I haven’t shot mine yet but I’d recommend the same for its cost and lightweight ease. At first it took a little learning of the disengagement of the barrel and the slide but after that, it’s no big deal compared to my 1911.

On the 1911 the Strong spring on that one is going to take some getting used to. Since 9mms are just lightweight in general, polymer body guns are looking pretty right now considering parts are easy to replace. I’m leery at replacing the spring though. As laws could catch to me seen as ‘trigger happy’, they designed the trigger for such the purpose: “know what you’re shooting, can’t call them back”.

6. Eckie

Eckie

Chvymn99 .....did your dad ever find anything he liked?

If not, hopefully he has other equipment, given the current state of affairs..

7. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I believe the choice was a Sig P365 XL. Haven't seen a report on it yet. Ahem... Chvymn99

8. Eckie

Eckie

Ah, very nice, I like! Glad he got something, especially if he had nothing.

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yes, he got himself a Ruger EC9 .... He ended up doing some horse trading with the local sporting good store. Its nice little gun... Had to watch youtube to figure out how to break it down. Rather simple if you get that one step accomplished. So I got it cleaned and oiled for him...

EC9.jpg

Yea:whistle: ... I got it cleaned and oiled and loaded... but I haven't had a chance to go shoot it, yet. :emb:

10. unbidden

unbidden

I responded to this post quite a while ago and have just recently received several "likes" from you' all... or is it ya'll... or ? Any-who! I guess the recent protest violence has upped the interest in firearms posts. Just told my wife I want her to carry where ever she goes as she does have a concealed carry license by by nature doesn't like to carry.

To all, be safe, be smart, be armed.

11. bogieb

bogieb

Neither - it's y'all

12. Highbeam

Highbeam

My conceal carry gun is an ec9. I love the gun. Problem is that I now have 40 and 9mm in the house and the family could possibly mix up ammo.

13. Eckie

Eckie

Wait till you get some .380, 38 special, 38 super, .357 magnum, .45 and 45 colt to go with the 9 and 40 in the house...then you've got some things to mix up. 40 shouldnt be able to go in a 9 mag. 9 in a 40 should be sloppy and prob fall out. I think you're good to go for now.

Chvymn99, bogieb, T.Jeff Veal and 3 others like this.
  14. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

This is what I’m worried about, if I got a .40. I’d rather go .380 so there’s a better disparity. Will try and convince Sugarbug87 at this caliber but she’s not as in on guns as I am and I’m pretty green myself. Gotta stay in it to learn it I guess.

Sugarbug87, Chvymn99, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  15. Eckie

Eckie

I would not let "getting ammo mixed up" determine what gun /caliber I purchase. It's pretty simple to keep ammo separate. Even if you had a plastic container with loose 9 and 40 mixed together, it's obvious by feel or sight which is which.....

9 mm and .380 are more similar in size i think and even then after a little time you'll be able to easily recognize.

FatBoy85, Chvymn99, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  16. Highbeam

Highbeam

I don’t consider a .380 to be sufficient. It’s so small. It’s really a choice between 9 and 40 and with so many very small 9mm guns on the market I really think you can find something. My young daughter really enjoyed shooting the ec9. All of my kids know how to pick up a gun as I store it, shoot it empty, reload and shoot again.

FatBoy85, Chvymn99, Eckie and 3 others like this.
  17. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

.380 is marginal but still effective at close range. Depends on the size of the weapon and user comfort with it. My wife is pretty good with her LCP, it's her "center console gun". I have a EC9 for a under-dash truck gun, very easy to access if I need to. G-19 is my "center console gun", along with a dedicated case for extra mags. I carry the P365 but wouldn't go for that first if I was driving. We both drive CRV's and have custom center console holsters for the respective weapons. The truck (F-250) has one of those adhesive/velcro holster things from Amazon. It works well with the EC9, but nothing heavier would work I'm sure.
    FYI- "Sneaky Pete" has magazine sheaths that work really well. I forget what they're called, and they are a tad pricey, but I love them. Good protection if you want to keep a few loose mags in a car console.

18. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Honest question- Before you make a decision, do you have a range/gun shop that will rent firearms to try-before-you-buy?
    #1- It has to feel comfortable in your hand- you'll not want to practice if you don't like how it feels.
    #2- How much recoil will you accept? and what are your parameters for use?
    Quite a few things to mull over before you make the leap.

FatBoy85, Chvymn99, Eckie and 2 others like this.
  19. Eckie

Eckie

Good points brought up by Highbeam and Beetle-Kill. If you haven't figured it out yet, you will get a lot of answers and opinions when it comes to gun and caliber choice, and the lifestyle choice that comes with arming ones self and concealed carry.

The "what caliber is sufficient" discussion is always interesting. I would rather be armed with something, rather than nothing. Point being, if you are comfortable with a .380 and are proficient with it, i believe its better to carry that gun/caliber rather than not carry say a .45 because you can't carry or shoot it (for whatever reason...uncomfortable, too large for hands or to conceal, too much felt/perceived recoil etc etc). And of course, if you can't hit what you're shooting at, caliber is for thebmost part a moot point (unless the muzzle blast gets them haha).

Feeling enough pistols to see what feels good in your hands is extremely important. And like Beetle-Kill said, if you can shoot the pistol even better.

When my wife decided she wanted to carry more, she bought the bodyguard 380. There werent as many small 9's out then, and i was happy she found something she liked, wanted and could have more options carrying. The possibility of defense if needed and a .380 size entrance hole is far superior to no hole.

No one wants to overwhelm you with too much info to where you are nervous or more indecisive. But I'm sure we are all more than willing to give you advice if you want it (some even if you don't haha), and try to help you with your choice.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  20. Eckie

Eckie

FatBoy85 ...the gun you said you hadn't shot yet...was it a sv9? Have you since shot it?

What caliber is your 1911?

bogieb, Chvymn99 and FatBoy85 like this.