In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A new crosscut saw.

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Wingshooter, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Wingshooter

Wingshooter

I am thinking about adding a crosscut saw to the things I keep around to use occasionally and as an emergency means of gathering firewood. I have a few heirloom saws that don't cut very well and don't want to risk damaging them. Do any of you have any experience buying new crosscut saws I would prefer something in the 5' range with two handles but a single handle wouldn't be out of the question thanks in advance.

2. EODMSgt

EODMSgt

The only five foot crosscut saws that I have are long retired and hanging as decorations on the firewood shed. I do carry a Bahco ProfCut 24" timber saw in my kit and have used it on several occasions. Cut rounds on a 16 downed oak with no issues.

ProfCut™ Timber Saws for Timber/Wet/Tanalised Wood

3. Wingshooter

Wingshooter

I have found curtis saws which get varied reviews for around 200$ I found another brand made in New Zealand called tuatahi they are handmade for around 450$ I am not stuck on a 5' saw somewhere between that and 3.5'

4. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Your antique saws are probably of much better quality than anything that you can buy now. In my thinking the good old tools deserve to be kept in working shape and get used.

I’d say get one sharpened up so it can sing again.

Dolly sharpened mine. Contact

EB979C74-84E4-4A65-A610-45AD0D544533.jpeg