I got a guy that says he can deliver two pickup truck loads and Im wondering if that would be pretty close to a cord assuming its stacked in not thrown in? Im waiting to hear back from him about what size bed he has on the truck. Its mixed hardwoods and hes asking $120 for two truckloads Im trying to figure out if this is close to a cord or far from it.
The typical..... - 8ft bed 2 inches below the rail = 1/2 cord - 6ft bed 3 inches above the rail = 1/2 cord approx
Sounds about right, make sure before they drop anything that the load is packed fairly tight and it's not a loose load
Hes bringing two loads next Thursday says Ill get my moneys worth. Hes got an 8' bed and stacks it over the rail.
Update time today and yesterday I got a total of just around 4 cords delivered a mix of oak, maple, gum and a lot of pine. I spent most of the day stacking in the rain until I couldnt take it anymore hopefully Ill get the rest of it stacked in the next week. The last picture is a little scrounge I found in the right of way at work. The gas company had cleared part of their property next to the substation Im working in and left a bunch of stuff just laying there so I figured I would put it to good use.
When it started raining I said well I better head inside then I realized Im already wet from sweat might as well keep on stacking I got four 12' rows put up and Ive probably got enough for this winter but Ive got more on the way plus the property Ive been given access to cut on I might be making a turn in the right direction finally
Sadly yes I do have a half a cord stashed somewhere else that should get me through Nov which gives this stuff more time to get ready. Ive had a pretty rough go at things this year I tried scrounging but I also kept working every weekend which left minimal time for the scrounging. Im planning to buy some kiln dried grocery store wood and some bio blocks to help supplement things and Ill shut it down every so often and run a brush up there. Im going to be burning like a newbie again and its going to suck but the blame lays on my shoulders and theres nothing I can do about it. I should be good to go next year though.
I had some good luck with some white ash this year, been stacked for 4 mos and is already dry. Can you get your hands on some specific species? That may dry in short time and be safer
One point. You said in the OP, he told you it would be all hardwoods. If he brought you "a lot of pine", I'd be having a friendly discussion. However, the pine may be your friend in the short term. Ok, 2 points, or was that 3? If you're happy and can afford it, have him bring more. I've said this before.......if I knew then what I know now, my first year here I would have bought my way into the FHC by ordering at least 3 years worth of wood c/s/d. Then, I would have gotten a log load the following year. Had a lot more money back then.
I can get southern yellow pine all day long and oak as far as anything else people either dont know whats what or dont care to look at anything other than oak. Folks around here are nuts about oak I see it go for $300 a cord in the middle of winter and its just as green as can be. I do have another load of pine coming and some poplar Im leaning pretty heavy on pine this winter as it does dry up pretty quick.
Two different folks one guy brought mixed hardwoods the other guy brought 3 cords of pine. I am working out a plan to buy 15/16s wood and at least half of 16/17s throughout this winter along with scrounging I should be in good shape soon. I would like to get another 3 cord of pine stacked up for next year and also some maple and gum. Theres a logging operation going on just up the street from me Im going to see if I can go in and talk to them about either getting a log load delivered or scrounging in whats left after they leave.