In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A Complicated Tax Question for the IRS..............

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by rottiman, Jan 8, 2018.

  1. rottiman

    rottiman

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    14,437
    Likes Received:
    95,936
    Location:
    XXXXXXXXXXX
    The Internal Revenue Service PO Box 931100 Louisville, KY 40293-1100


    Dear Sir,

    I have a very complicated tax question.

    Many years ago, I married a widow who had an 18 year old daughter.

    After the wedding, my father, a widower, came to visit a number of times, and he fell in love with my step daughter.

    My father eventually married her.

    As a result my step-daughter became my step mother and my father became my son in law.

    My father's wife (also my step daughter) and my step-mother, gave birth to a son who is my grandchild because I am the husband of my step daughter's mother.

    This boy is also my brother, as the son of my father.

    As you can see, my wife became a grandmother, because she is the mother of my father's wife.

    Therefore it appears that I am also my wife's grandchild.

    In light of the above mentioned, I would like to know the following:

    How should I describe my relationship to my step-daughter's son for 1040 purposes as I would like to claim him as a dependent as I have provided 100% support for him.
     
  2. lukem

    lukem

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    12,277
    Likes Received:
    66,613
    Location:
    IN
    Anybody here from WV that can answer this for Rotti?
     
  3. papadave

    papadave

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,181
    Likes Received:
    82,470
    Location:
    Right where I want to be.
    Hmmm, we might know a guy.................
     
    Backwoods Savage, rottiman and Horkn like this.
  4. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,717
    Likes Received:
    224,362
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Your question is currently under review and you will be notified with our panel's results!
     
  5. Horkn

    Horkn

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2014
    Messages:
    29,173
    Likes Received:
    166,456
    Location:
    SE Wisconsin
    Oh boy.

    Why do I hear a banjo?
     
  6. stuckinthemuck

    stuckinthemuck

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    3,247
    Likes Received:
    15,345
    Location:
    Wandering around in the NH woods.
  7. JustWood

    JustWood Guest

    :cool:
     
    rottiman and Horkn like this.
  8. Casper

    Casper

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1,710
    Likes Received:
    9,667
    Location:
    Ohio
    ​
     
    rottiman and papadave like this.