In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

A building for the mill

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by fuelrod, May 18, 2021.

1. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I am sure you will surprise !! and as a thought maybe AB martin has some mis cut metal that you could get a better price on JB

Eric VW, fuelrod and brenndatomu like this.
  2. fuelrod

fuelrod

If I were closer....
    All of the roofing was bought last November including the lean to and I picked it up in PA.
    We have an Everlast plant 9 miles away but they don't sell to contractors or the public. This leaves the podunk hardware store or uninformed lumber yard where I know more about this product than the guy behind the counter does.
    Let me tell you a little story,
    15 years ago we lived in MD and I bought a fair amount of "metal" for the many farm buildings that I built on our farm. Being an agricultural type product and we were in an agricultural area not to mention PA being about 15 miles north, there are many places to shop from. Big ag has left Maine.
    I was planning and building a good sized building in Maine (38x78) and I requested a quote (item by item and lengths) that I faxed (15 years ago) to the multi location lumber yard where I bought all of my framing lumber and trusses from.
    They responded with a price and it seemed high to me. Next I sent the same list to "my guy" in PA. I don't remember the exact number, but he saved me well over $3k and I think closer to $4k. Next I asked him if he could have it run off at the Everlast location 9 miles from me (in Maine) and I'd pick it up. Well that's what we did. Now both of these guys simply sent my order to Everlast and that was the extent of their work, basically a phone call or fax. Those bastards who sold me thousands of dollars of lumber wanted to stick it to me for $3-4 thousand dollars above my PA guy and I'm sure he was making his money on it......
    I haven't darkened their door since!
    I figure that my trip to PA saved me enough to pay for the 112' of rolling door track and hardware plus some. :thumbs:

JB Sawman, Flamestead, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  3. fuelrod

fuelrod

I actually wasn't done on yesterday's pictures. I had to build the little overhang of the last gable. I like to leave that off until the roof is on up to the last panel, then make any adjustments to the overhang for a nice, parallel finish to the metal. It always ends up a little different from the plan's. :whistle:
    20220827_120002.jpg

20220827_120002.jpg
    I'm going to fill in that little triangle with siding in an attempt to help keep a little bit more of the weather out. It's the clearance that I need for the tractor and dump truck.

JB Sawman, Flamestead, Chaz and 5 others like this.
  4. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I just re-read through the whole thread again. You are doing an amazing job with the building. Looks great!

Eric VW, JB Sawman and eatonpcat like this.
  5. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Fuelrod said, "I'm going to fill in that little triangle with siding in an attempt to help keep a little bit more of the weather out."

Trust me, filling that in will keep more birds out than weather! Building is looking awesome!

6. fuelrod

fuelrod

Thanks bro!
    Been on break from the building. An opportunity came up, my neighbor was looking for an older (cheap) 4 wheeler. I had a 97 Polaris 500. Long story short he has a big screening plant and we horse traded for gravel. My lane has lost all the fines over the last 15 years, not to mention this summers downpours and the bone's were showing through. I lost track but he brought over (through the woods in good Maine style) about 16 tandem loads. We placed them yesterday and today. I'm gonna need speed limit signs now.
    20220911_115528.jpg
    20220911_100340.jpg

Stinny, Eric VW, JB Sawman and 8 others like this.
  7. Flamestead

Flamestead

Was that Hillside? I bought bought a bunch of metal from them last year. One guy was pretty good to work with and a few weren’t. Then we got the call to come get some of what we had ordered, and spent half an hour looking through their yard to finally decide it didn’t come on Everlast’s truck. We built a lot of things with rough sawn Hemlock from there when they first started the mill, but that area is 99% suburban now, and it shows.

Eric VW, fuelrod and brenndatomu like this.
  8. fuelrod

fuelrod

I've been slacking with the progress but the lean to is closed in and finished.
    20221001_161758.jpg
    I left the height tall enough for the tractor but it pretty much eliminates any doors, but that wasn't in my plans anyway.
    20221001_161817.jpg
    That's the north wall and I guess I'll see what happens with blowing snow this winter. I'm not sure what I'll stuff in there, it'll probably change with the winter/summer seasons.
    20221001_161857.jpg
    This wall looks like a good place to hang all my various chains from (for a start). I'll have it all junked up soon enough. :whistle:

9. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Looking better than ever my friend!

10. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Maybe if you have to much trouble with snow or rain blowing in you could put a strip door on the end like they have on warehouse doors I put them on my wife's horse stall so the horse could go in and out and still keep the barn warmer the horse figured out he could just poke his head out through the plastic strips it was funny to watch . I think I got the stuff at farm tec JB

Jack Straw, fuelrod and brenndatomu like this.
  11. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You make your wife stay in a horse stall?! :whistle: ;) :rofl: :lol:

12. Stinny

Stinny

13. fuelrod

fuelrod

20221005_150018.jpg
    Got the gable soffit and siding on. I sawed the battens this morning and have them cut to length and ready to go. We've had a couple of very light sprinkles in the last couple hours and it's made the roof a little bit of a challenge or just enough to not trust normally walking around on it. It can wait until tomorrow, the lower portions need to be measured and installed lying on the roof and that's definitely not happening. Yesterday on the pita soffit and roof flashing I was pushing myself away from the work just driving in screws.
    20221004_114239.jpg
    Not a lot of space to work "in there".
    20221004_085421.jpg
    Other than a little trim (corner boards) and 18 battens on the front 2 doors and 41 on the main back wall (in the lean to)
    It's done....I think. :yes:
    Actually all the doors need a little Hardware and adjustment and then it's hopefully finished.

eatonpcat, Chaz, JB Sawman and 8 others like this.
  14. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I respect your eye for details! You are very talented.:thumbs:

eatonpcat, Chaz, JB Sawman and 5 others like this.
  15. fuelrod

fuelrod

Thanks Jack, just don't look too closely. :D

eatonpcat, Chaz, JB Sawman and 4 others like this.
  16. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

How are those new style tires on your Kubota?

17. fuelrod

fuelrod

So far I like them, now just the other day I got into some mud going up a mild slope and it struggled to the point it was digging ditches. I'm not sure if it's because it's been forever since I've even seen mud or they under performed but I was a little alarmed that I couldn't make it. On the other hand I'm thinking that I'd just have deeper ditches with ag tires and no sure that I would have made it either. :whistle:
    So far I don't regret the decision. Winter is fine and in my gravelly soils their not a problem. This area that gave me trouble is a old skidder trail that's also a drainage.

18. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

So the real question, how much to build me one:whistle:

eatonpcat, Chaz, JB Sawman and 7 others like this.
  19. fuelrod

fuelrod

20221006_161157.jpg
    Roof and siding DONE!!!
    I'm going to work on firewood and my land. Dragging logs out of the woods before the snow comes. Now I have a building to work it up into firewood during the winter. :thumbs: I'm sure that over the winter I'll fool around with the door adjustment and the misc hardware. It's just some door guides (rollers) along the bottom and the latching hardware.
    20220715_181502.jpg
    I really should have put the dang soffit up at this point. :headbang:
    (July 15)

eatonpcat, Chaz, JB Sawman and 6 others like this.
  20. cnice_37

cnice_37

Are you saying you're.... done?!! :banana:

eatonpcat, Chaz, JB Sawman and 4 others like this.