In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

8 cord with one chain?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by saewoody, Nov 4, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Years back an old neighbor was felling trees in his back yard. I went over and the saw is spewing out talcum powder sawdust. I chuckled to myself as he is leaning into the cut with all his might. One of those type you cant tell anything! I offered to sharpen it. Took it home and did so and later gave him a basic lesson on sharpening. Loaned my saw to another neighbor years back and i was amazed how dull it was when it came back. He later borrowed it again and i "charged" him a new chain!
    I WONT ever loan out again!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It's funny but sometimes when my wife is outdoors and someone is running a chainsaw in the neighborhood, she'll even comment about the fact they should take a break and sharpen the chain.

3. Timberdog

Timberdog

Maybe he was cutting balsa wood.

4. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Since we are bragging i used 2 chains to cut 22 truck loads at the quarry. One for my 576 and one for that small 16” echo. I did touch em up every other tank and i was also just cutting maple and cherry birch. Few white oaks and a big red. Not happening if there was hickory

5. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Stihl chains do not cut any longer than other chains with out sharpening. So BS. I have Stihl, Oregon, and carlton chains that I use.

6. TMACK

TMACK

I call B.S. maybe without grinding but not without a filing in between no way. Sure as hell not with any decent hardwoods. My self cutting red and white oak I'll touch up every tank or two. To much work and stupidity cutting with a dull chain.

7. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Roughly 20 years ago I was foreman in a large fabrication shop. I had given a shop helper a stack of 1/8" x 2" pieces of mild steel and set him up on a drill press to drill two 1/2" holes in each piece, telling him to bring them to me when he was done. Some time passes by and I'm wondering where he is, I head over to that side of the shop and he's still on drill press, his back to me, I can see a good bit of smoke rising up in front of him... I get over there and the drill bit is literally glowing red and he's leaning on the drill press handle so hard he's pushing this 1/2" bit through a 3/8" inch hole. Essentially drilling by friction & heat at this point. The first two inches of the bit were formed down to 3/8". Some people seriously just don't have the sense to know when a reasonable time to stop is. Of course he was surprised when he was fired.

8. TMACK

TMACK

1st. Project in 10 grade metal's class was to take a 1/4 drill bit put it in a vise and break it off with a hammer, now go sharpen it at the grinder. Great life lesson!