In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

$75 Marketplace Snowblower

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Skier76, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Skier76

Skier76

So a change of plans!

Found this Snapper 826 on Marketplace with a bad engine for $40. My plan now is to take the 9hp from the Husky and drop it on to the new (to me) 826 chassis. Thinking it should bolt right up. Fingers crossed.

This unit is in good shape.
    IMG_9360.jpeg
    IMG_9364.jpeg

The engine is definitely cooked, you can hear a loud clacking noise when you pull it over.

Oil situation:
    IMG_9367.jpeg

Metal in the oil:
    IMG_9366.jpeg

I managed to get the pulley holders bolt things loosened up for later use on the other engine.
    IMG_9368.jpeg

Gave it and the other blower a cleaning with the pressure washer:
    IMG_9370.jpeg IMG_9371.jpeg

IMG_9372.jpeg

Part two of this plan is to pull the electric start off the bad 826 engine and put it on our current 826 which is recoil only or now, but has the provisions to install the electric start.

2. Skier76

Skier76

Brought the other machine back from up north. I’ll update this thread once I start the swap process.

IMG_9385.jpeg

Horkn, MikeInMa, MasterMech and 3 others like this.
  3. Skier76

Skier76

I was able to get both engines off without an issue. The 9hp dropped right onto the Snapper chassis, so good to go there.

A few questions on pulleys: My three jaw puller is just a touch too wide to get the inner pulley off the 9hp. And I’m not sure how that pulley is on the engine. Maybe press fit? There are no set screws on that pulley. On the bad 8hp engine, both pulleys have set screws. So some advice needed on how to remove that inner pulley.

IMG_9401.jpeg IMG_9402.jpeg

Question 2: Crank diameters are different. I believe this can be solved with an adapter?

8hp crank from the bad engine
    IMG_9413.jpeg

9hp crank, good engine:
    IMG_9414.jpeg

Horkn, eatonpcat and brenndatomu like this.
  4. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Its prolly just stuck...some penetrating oil on it, left to soak, and then hit the pulley with a lil heat/torch, see if it will tap off before the crankshaft heats up too much/expands too. That should not be a press fit...probably a tight slip fit.

Horkn and Skier76 like this.
  5. John D

John D

Why can’t you use the pulleys on the 9hp

Horkn likes this.
  6. Skier76

Skier76

Thanks. That’s a good option.

Horkn and brenndatomu like this.
  7. Skier76

Skier76

I gave that a thought. They look similar…but I’d hate to burn up a belt if they aren’t the same size/width.

Horkn, John D and brenndatomu like this.
  8. Skier76

Skier76

I removed the inner pulley on the bad Snapper engine relatively easily once I took out the set screw I hadn’t seen. Didn’t feel to smart after that discovery.

I ended up taking the 9hp engine down the road to the local OPE dealer to have them remove the pulley. My three jaw could not get a good grip due to the very small space between the engine case and the back side of the pulley. And grabbing the pulley from the center wasn’t an option; jaws would not grip it. Figure someone with more experience and the correct tool could have it off in short order. It’ll end up saving me time and money in the end. They’re up to their eyeballs in mower servicing, so may be awhile before they get it. Guy told me they were so busy, had I brought in the entire blower, they would have not taken it for some time.

Horkn, MikeInMa, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  9. Skier76

Skier76

Picked up the engine last week; $78 to have the pulley removed. Ended up talking to one of the techs. He said they broke one three jaw puller and has to resort to using pry bars and tapping the pulley with a hammer. They were careful not to pry against the case. They also didn’t want to use heat given how close the pulley was to the oil seal. He said it was pretty rusted on. So money well spent.

I picked up a crank adapter on Amazon so the 826 pulleys would fit on the 9hp engine. I think it was $10+/- Works perfectly.

And now for the reallygood news:

It works! The unit moves forwards and backwards and the auger/thrower chug along just fine. Maybe one of the only Snapper 826’s with a 9hp? Who knows….

So up next:
    Order new belts.
    Swap over the gas tank and fuel lines from the blown 8hp engine
    Swap over the pull start assembly and shroud from the 8hp engine
    Pull the electric start off the blown engine and put that on our existing 826 in CT

Give away the old Husky chassis; hopefully for parts. Anyone here interested?

Dok440, Horkn, brenndatomu and 3 others like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

So now you have a snapper 926. :)

Skier76, Dok440 and brenndatomu like this.
  11. Dok440

Dok440

Good call on having the shop remove the pulley. I know if it was me I'd have the pulley off along with lots of carnage.

Skier76, JD Guy, John D and 1 other person like this.
  12. Skier76

Skier76

Exactly! I think they actually made a 926 after doing some research. But this is now a 926 ‘Custom’.:D

brenndatomu, Horkn and John D like this.
  13. Skier76

Skier76

Seriously. I’m all about doing it myself, but in this situation, it was worth the expense. In the end, saved a lot of time and agrivation.

brenndatomu, Horkn and John D like this.
  14. Skier76

Skier76

Made some progress recently. I was able to pull the electric starter off the blown engine and install it on the 826 we have in Connecticut. That was about a 20 minute swap. Works perfectly! That alone was worth the $40 for the 826 with the bad engine.

I also pulled the pull cord shroud off and confirmed my suspicions; a mouse used newspaper to build a nest; which most likely clogged the cooling fins and caused the engine to overheat.

IMG_9500.jpeg

After pulling the starter, you can see where the crank hit the case:
    IMG_9501.jpeg

When all is said a done, I may pull this engine apart to view the carnage.

JD Guy, brenndatomu, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  15. Horkn

Horkn

I hate mice for this. I want to put barn owl nests around my house. That will take care of mice and who( pun intended) doesn't like owls?

16. Skier76

Skier76

They are such pests! (Mice). I buy traps in bulk off amazon for our sheds. I won’t use poison as I don’t want it to harm the owls or hawks.

MikeInMa, Horkn and John D like this.
  17. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Our outdoor cats have eliminated any mouse issues around here...I feed them enough to keep them around, but not enough that they won't hunt for supplement vittles...

MikeInMa, Horkn, eatonpcat and 2 others like this.
  18. Skier76

Skier76

It’s ready to head back north. I swapped over the pull cord housing, carb housing, fuel tank & lines from the bad engine to the 9hp. Polished it up a bit and started no problem with both electric and pull start. I also installed new belts just because. I was able to get those on without splitting the unit; just had to remove and reinstall the pulleys.

Hoping this gives years of good service. I’m confident the gear drive will last longer than the chain setup on the Husky. Update on the Husky; I gave the chassis away on Marketplace in hopes someone would scavenge it for a good parts. I left a note on a it (and stated in the listing) stating what was wrong with it.

IMG_9544.jpeg IMG_9545.jpeg IMG_9547.jpeg IMG_9548.jpeg

eatonpcat, MikeInMa, John D and 6 others like this.
  19. JD Guy

JD Guy

20. John D

John D

Nice job glad it is all together and working as planned