In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

32-NC

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bushpilot, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Yea, was reading the PDF... the double layer ceramic board and the additional tube... interesting upgrades to that platform...but does NC30 have different size holes in there tubes? I don’t remember seeing that before...I’m wondering if a second set of fiber boards would help the NC 30 at all?

2. Warner

Warner

It is what it is. I would never suggest anybody buy one of their products tho.

brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam

I think it is simply easier to ship. Same with the removable bypass handle on my bk. The wife pulled it off when I was away on a hunting trip and freaked out!

4. Highbeam

Highbeam

the nc30 rear tube has tiny holes. Both hole size and I think angle of holes changes in tubes. It almost sounds like they improved the nc30 by putting more secondary into the firebox farther back under a better insulated baffle to encourage more secondary combustion.

The new test at 2.0 gph was with cordwood vs the old 1.6 with crib wood.

I haven’t checked the epa list to see how the rated efficiency compares to others. I dislike the lhv/hhv game.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

That too...but they say to remove it when not in use. I've heard of kids crawling into washing machines and dryers...but stoves?! I guess if you are willing to snack on Tide Pods...:picard:

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

We will see if this is an "improvement" or not...in the past I played around with adding secondary air to an old school burner...I noticed that the more secondary air I added, the quicker the firebox cooled down after the fire burnt out...I suspect the only way this is an improvement is in the emissions test numbers...hope I'm wrong!

7. Highbeam

Highbeam

Maybe more secondary air along with double baffle insulation was enough to support a more complete secondary combustion inside the main firebox.

I wonder if the firebrick is still the cheaper dense firebricks or did they move to fancy pumice for the superior insulation values.

8. Highbeam

Highbeam

Maybe they made the door handle rod function as an ash pan plug remover tool. Double duty! There's a little loop on the ash pan plug.

I'm okay with lower emissions, even more okay with increased efficiency.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Chvymn99 like this.
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam

I just checked the EPA database and the NC32 is on there so it's for real! Test results pretty good. Wasn't the old NC30 3.5 cubic feet?

Now the weird. They are calling this a 2.92 cubic foot stove and 70% efficient. 2 gph, 2.3 gpm of CO.

For comparison the Woodstock IS is 3.22 CF, 74% efficient (ouch), 2.1 gph, 0.56 gpm CO.

BK princess is 2.91 CF, 80% efficient, 0.4 gph, 0.5 gpm CO.

10. Hoytman

Hoytman

I believe the Drolet Legend ranks with those and better than the Drolet HT3000.

11. bushpilot

bushpilot

Yeah, I saw it there, which got me searching for it on the net. Only thing I see about it is the manual.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Highbeam like this.
  12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Highbeam when did ideal steel go from 82% to 74% efficient? And 1.4 grams per hour

13. Highbeam

Highbeam

Such is the beauty of standardized testing. Maybe. Woodstock is very reputable but there were some other brands of boilers, furnaces, and stoves that were spouting off BS specifications about emission, efficiency, or firebox volume only to have to eat crow when the EPA testing protocol was applied.

I don't know, it's right on the EPA list. Maybe they switched to cord wood testing instead of crib. It's 2020 approved and that's important. I'd love to try one. It's my favorite woodstock! Maybe there's a mistake on the EPA list, they also list it as a noncat.

Even Buck put up better numbers on their model 91.

Woodstove Database | Burnwise | US EPA

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  14. Highbeam

Highbeam

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  15. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Ok after reviewing data those numbers are lower on Woodstock for cord wood and BK in quick search only showed crib wood.. in crib wood IS numbers same.

not trying to argue just understand and compare apples to apples

Highbeam likes this.
  16. Highbeam

Highbeam

unfortunately for the consumer, the epa still allows both crib and cord wood testing which means you can only compare similarly tested appliances.

17. bushpilot

bushpilot

The 30 has 3/16 holes on the front two tubes, and 5/32 holes on the aft two. And the angles are different for eaach of the tubes.

I wonder as well about putting a second set of boards on the 30. I'm pretty sure that Mike Holton said on another forum that a 1 inch board was too thick for the 30. But maybe they modified the box configuration a little to give it more room in the 32? There is that steel deflector inside above the boards in front of the outlet collar, perhaps that is changed on the 32 to give more room?

papadave, brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  18. Highbeam

Highbeam

Need some field recon.

brenndatomu, Chvymn99 and bushpilot like this.
  19. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Didn't realize that... Well I guess I better check my burn tubes at some point... I just pulled them... blew them out and then reinstalled last spring during the spring clean......:emb:

bushpilot and brenndatomu like this.
  20. billb3

billb3

It does stick out a little bit. Maybe someone caught their nighty on it, tripped, fell and sued.
    "Must be removed when stove not in use" seems a bit weird though.

brenndatomu and Marvin like this.