In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

272XP Tank Vent question

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Certified106, Nov 2, 2013.

  1. Certified106

    Certified106

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2013
    Messages:
    4,172
    Likes Received:
    11,912
    Location:
    In The Hills
    So with the 460 on the way I wanted to clear off the bench in the shop so I spent some time wrenching on the 272XP last night. Got the new tank built up and installed the anti-vibe mounts then I pulled the old vent and put it in the new tank only to discover it has the tiniest leak in the vent. I ordered a new vent and throttle linkage this morning but will it hurt the saw to run it with a small leak in the current vent as my Dad wants to borrow it this weekend.

    Another question, I have all kinds of problems with the muffler bolts vibrating loose and falling out after about thirty minutes of run time and am looking for suggestions on how to keep them in? I tried Loctite but all that did was keep them in a bit longer. Also the holes on the muffler are to small to get lock washers down inside them although I was contemplating grinding down a lock washer and trying to make one fit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Good news is that even after the saw sat close to a year I put some fuel in the tank and it fired right up on about the 6'th pull and was idling great. If I can get this thing running 100% I'm giving it my Dad to keep at his house as he really needs a larger saw at times. I haven't told him yet so we will see. this thing is in pretty good shape and has a new piston and rings so it should be good to go for awhile.