In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

262xp - How far would you drive?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Jon1270, Jul 24, 2014.

1. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Ive had a couple.. Sold them. Now this post makes me want another for some reason !! Isnt this sickness great :)

DexterDay likes this.
  2. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

I was thinking the same exact thing..

The saw better be Husq (or a Stihl MS 361 made overseas ;) ) and outboard clutch..

Everything else sucks. :) lol

I like Nikko, I'm just poking jokes. But he is very bias on saws.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  3. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

Everyone has their favorites based on personal priorities. Nikko lives in Norway, where heated handles are a necessity. As you all get older and RA sets in you will understand.

4. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Only way I would buy another 262 is to flip to it's cult like following. Sort of like stihlheads. Love selling them stihls. :bug:

Ever heard the saying, stihls are for selling and all others for the work by us used saw guys. Same holds true for the 262. ;)

DexterDay likes this.
  5. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

Kevin, I can understand that, it has been 20+ years since the 262XP came to market. It does hold a cult following but in the passage of those 20+ years there have/are other newer models that overshadow the 262XPs performance. Eventually the 262XP will be just another old saw like the Disston DA-211 I ran on Friday that will be fun to experience.

Worse yet will be the EPA over controlling things to the point that ground-breaking development (like the 262XP) by the manufacturers will cease and we will be choosing from various models of saws that are designed to run on chicken chit, because it is ecco friendly!

Remember what happened to the go-fast cars of the 60s & early 70s? Those very same people have run out of cars/trucks to mess with and are now messing with our saws and soon will be messing with your washing machine!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    HoneyFuzz and clemsonfor like this.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I think stihl has some models with heated handles?

7. Mastermind

Mastermind

My 262XP is not for sale.

:)

8. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

Hey Randy....do you still have that husky 261 i sold you ?? Last i heard it wasnt like a normal 261 anymore LOL!!

clemsonfor and KilliansRedLeo like this.
  9. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

Above from Saw Troll, looks like he is stumped so far also!

Jon1270 and HoneyFuzz like this.
  10. Mastermind

Mastermind

That is the one I have that ain't going anywhere. Hell it's still sporting the two shoe clutch. :D

I'm surprised by that one as well.

Never saw those exact markings before.

11. HoneyFuzz

HoneyFuzz

. Tell me that you can make my current 261 run the sane !! If so... Ill get on the waiting list ! Im surprised the 2 shoe is still going strong. That was a really nice saw cosmetically as well.

12. Jon1270

Jon1270

So rare that nobody knows what it is! Well, okay. Regardless of its oddness, it's in great condition -- not a hint of scoring, original machining lines obvious on the piston. The guys I bought the saw from said the guy they'd gotten it from told them to run 30:1 in it. It was also tuned pretty rich. There is a lot of carbon on top of the piston and in the exhaust port, some of which is flaky. What's best practice to prevent that flaking carbon from doing damage on its way out?

13. Mastermind

Mastermind

I can. Adding finger ports, and keeping the exhaust low is what makes them so bad azz.

I run mine on Belray H1R @ 32:1

I don't like any work saw tuned lean at all. If it cleans up in the cut, I'm good with the tune.

From what I've seen, the Belray will clean the engine up.

14. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

Clean out all the carbon, then run Klotz or Bel-Ray full sythetic at 32:1. Wonder if they were running mineral based mix instead of synthetic, that is where I see flaking carbon deposits. Given how much carbon is on to the piston, it can raise the compression readings and cause the engine to run hot.

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  15. Mastermind

Mastermind

Klotz Super Tech is the nastiest oil I've used. The R50 is good stuff though.

Tim, is the R50 what you are recommending?

HoneyFuzz likes this.
  16. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

I personally run Bel-Ray H1R, Kevin runs Klotz and has very good luck with it, but I don't know which version he runs. I do not care for Husqvarna or Stihl oils either.

When I first started racing MX for HVA they recommended mineral or castor based oils at 20:1 (like Klotz or Torco T-2), those that ran the castor based stuff had problems. Husqvarna then came out and said 'never mind' run Bel-Ray at 32:1, no more problems.

I have run Bel Ray in everything ever since! You are also right the Bel Ray will tend to get rid of the carbon deposits and leave very little of its' own.

HoneyFuzz and clemsonfor like this.
  17. Cut4fun

Cut4fun

I wouldnt use super tech or r50.

I use original KL-200 100% though. I like it due to staying mixed with ethanol.

18. Mastermind

Mastermind

I was tempted to give KL-200 a try Kevin. But I swore off of trying new oils when I found H1R.

I'm not playing the oil game again. :p

bryanr2, MasterMech and clemsonfor like this.
  19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I'm sure they were running g at best semi syn oil us saw and engine nuts are really the only ones running g it. How many joe homeowners use belray or amsoil in a saw they may crank 2x a yr.

20. KilliansRedLeo

KilliansRedLeo

I am also not a proponent of running avation fuel, so much regulated stuff added to it that you don't know what you are buyng. When I repair a saw for someone I ask what they run, and mix and use that to test the saw before it leaves. I have a whole zoo of 1gal cans of all kinds of stuff that people run in their saws. Some of that stuff I would not pour on weeds, I'd rather get a goat!

Mastermind likes this.