In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

.22LR

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by lukem, Jan 6, 2016.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I need to figure what size cast my 9 likes and will start pumping them out of my press. I'm working on .380 now.

2. RCBS

RCBS

OK, gonna let you guys in on a little secret with Cabelas. Wish List. Every time they have some stock on .22lr, before you buy it, add it to your wish list...several times in fact. Why?: This is how I bought a whole bunch of ammo from them when they never even showed any for sale. Example: Yesterday when the buckets were in stock, I also could have ordered CCI AR tactical 300 rd box. It was not listed as being "in stock", but was on my wish list as "limited stock". It's not fool proof, but typically, items will show up on your wish list before they show "in stock" on the regular page. Also, as with the AR tacts, sometimes you will have access to stuff that is "not in stock".

There used to be an even better way with the "shopping cart". It no longer works as they caught on eventually.

So, to recap...Start a wish list and put every kind of ammo that you want in it multiple times. Trick is, it has to be showing "in stock" to get it on your wishlist.

Confessions of a .22 hoarder. :sir:

Edit: as of right now, Stingers are in stock on main page if there are any fans here. A few other varieties as well. Put them on your list!

3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Cool little hack!! Too bad I didnt know yesterday with buckets and the wins that they had.

I did know that you can make back to back orders until you want to stop or there out of stock. Even though it says one box over person per order per day. They dont care they know it happens and when I go pick up ammo I can see the pickup list when I sign it and there will be like 3 names per page that are on there multiple times. You get one line per package. So I assume it was ammo orders. Why would they put your other stuff if you ordered there all in desperate boxes? Those who dont know your orders when shipped to store come in a box just as if they were shipping to your house it just sits in the store waiting on you.

RCBS likes this.
  4. RCBS

RCBS

The shopping cart trick was just ridiculous. One click and have 25-30 items pop into your shopping cart whether they showed stock or not. They would back order anything they didn't have on had. Nice while it lasted. I didn't figure this stuff out on my own. There is a certain forum where all the shenanigans were originating from. Some very dedicated 22lr enthusiasts! Once the Facebook people found out too many people were doing the cart hack and Cabelas responded.

clemsonfor likes this.
  5. lukem

lukem

There were a few 4 bucket cases on ammoseek this AM but we're gone quickly. I don't know why I'm still looking. I should be good for a while. Ammo is addictive.

clemsonfor likes this.
  6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

What was the cart trick? Copy and past a URL link for a full cart and it would keep allowing you to order it all?

7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Buying and hoarding has now become a sub hobby for many. I believe thats why ammo is still so hard to buy. There folks that now get a kick out of buying and stock piling it. I believe it goes beyond actual shooting needs or the desire to have a life supply no matter legislation changes. I think its kind of like some folks like to have the nicest yard and greenest grass. Or the cleanest truck detailed out or some like to collect chainsaws or whatever. There is now a subset of shooters/gun guys who the quest for more and cheaper 22 ammo has become a hobby.

8. RCBS

RCBS

Yep. A couple guys had shopping carts with basically every 22lr in them and supplied the links. They had another one that had "add to cart links". There was also some "glitch" that allowed high multiples to be bought but I wasn't privyed.

For the record...I stopped hoarding at ~25k. I now only buy occasionally if I see something I like rather than anything I can get my hands on. Never flipped the first round, but did donate 500 to a local biker charity auction. Gave away 8 slides of CCI this year for Christmas. My point: I wasn't trying to make it harder/more expensive for fellow shooters like a lot of folks were doing. I don't get to go shooting that often anymore so I'll usually burn at least a brick per outing and when I started hoarding, I was down to about two trips worth of ammo. Never again! Still always on the lookout for reasonably priced Wolf Match Target. My favorite.

Smokinpiney likes this.
  9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I get what your saying and I hope neither you nor anyone here thought I was accusing you of serial hoarding or bullet flipping.

My buddy always asks what I a. Doing with all my ammo. I said I shoot it and I want it for if I go to the range. And when I do I shoot more than 3 mags and leave!.

RCBS likes this.
  10. lukem

lukem

25k is a lot. I'm nowhere near that....for everything I shoot. I know I'm an amateur though.

11. RCBS

RCBS

No no....I didn't get that from your post, but when you admit that you have 20k+ rounds some people get mad. I understand. It's got to be frustrating when you can't find ammo to take your grandson or nephew out shooting. I got lucky...I found some guys who were able to buy ammo and was able to use their tactics. I "got sober" about a year ago now. Thank goodness! Was starting to get pretty costly!

clemsonfor likes this.
  12. RCBS

RCBS

I only did it with 22lr. My other stockpiles are nowhere near that. 22lr & 9mm are really the only stuff I shoot regularly anymore.

13. bassJAM

bassJAM

I think this whole thing has turned almost every single firearms enthusiast into a hoarder. "Back in the good days" I used to keep a few hundred rounds of centerfire ammo on hand and probably 2k worth of .22 ammo. That would last me for a few months, and I knew if I needed more Walmart would always have what I needed. I used to laugh at my buddy who told me he had like 40 bricks (500 packs) of .22. But then ammo disappeared, and I had to slow down my shooting. My buddy even got down to his last 8 or so bricks. Now I'm completely the same way as him, and I think every other shooter out there who takes his or her gun out of the safe more than once a year also is also the same. There's a real fear that panic buying or legislation will make ammo disappear again, so we all want to hoard all that we can, keeping the cycle going. It's one thing when 2% of the shooting world are hoarders. It's a whole other thing when 95% of them are!! There just isn't enough ammo to go around when we all want to have 10x more ammo in the closet than we used to keep on hand.

RCBS and clemsonfor like this.
  14. lukem

lukem

I am going to pick up a few extra "high capacity" mags for all my stuff too. Just in case and stuff.

RCBS likes this.
  15. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I bought a dozen or so 30rd AK mags last time it was going crazy so i'd have a lifetime of them

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    RCBS likes this.
  16. lukem

lukem

There has to be some sort of ammo hoarding saturation point. I wonder if we're even close to it?

RCBS likes this.
  17. bassJAM

bassJAM

I think that election coming up this fall will be a huge variable determining if folks feel safe enough with what they have, or if they "need" to buy even more! I don't see this even starting to slow down until we know the results from that.

18. RCBS

RCBS

22lr was my first firearm at 10 and I'm sure I'm not the only one who cut his teeth on a marlin model 60. I fear that a lot of youngsters may not be able to go shooting or at least as much as they would like to. Right now, those of us who are 2A supporters need to realize that we need to get the kids out shooting. Young kids today will decide the fate of our rights tomorrow. I made sure when I was buying that the guys that I work were included so they would have some ammo to take their kids out and have fun for a reasonable price.

Honestly, I think a lot of the folks who are convinced that guns are generally bad just need a good day on the range to appreciate why we like them so much. It's fun! Can be done solo or in groups. Requires discipline, concentration, and practice to become proficient and is very rewarding...well, to me at least.

clemsonfor and bassJAM like this.
  19. lukem

lukem

20. bocefus78

bocefus78

Natchez has
    Fed American eagle
    Fed auto match
    Cci ar tactical
    Cci Velocitor
    Remington golden bullets

Better prices than most, but shipping is high