In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

.22LR

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by lukem, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Me too. Fed. lead HP in the little milk carton containers, 550 for $7.99 if I recall. I bought a bunch myself, still have Tupperware containers full. But .22lr is like air, you can't have too much.

2. bassJAM

bassJAM

I have 9 bricks of that Federal Automatch. It was the first .22lr bulk that I saw show up, so I purchased all I could at around $20/brick. While I haven't had any FTF's, I have had several FTE's and FTL's in most of my semi-auto .22's. So be careful before buying too much, while it's marketed for semi-auto guns I've found most of mine don't care for it at around 5-10% failure rate.

Since that time I've bought a few bricks of Remington Golden bullets. In the past I had trouble with those rounds feeding reliable, but I've heard rumors that Remington has improved the quality. So far I agree with that, as I haven't had any troubles with the newer boxes of Golden Bullets.

mdavlee and clemsonfor like this.
  3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Local Wally World had 22 mag in stock today. It's been a while

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe

It hasn't been that long for me.

I stocked up during the run-up to the 2008 election. I was pretty certain which direction it was going to take so I would stop and get a (550)brick or 2 every week for $10.99. It added up a lot faster than I realized. Haven't had to go shopping for .22 since.

I could have tripled my money by selling it in '09 but didn't know how long that current drought would last. Glad I held on to it. :)

5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I figured that trick out. Shhhhh. Dont tell

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have had the very same in mpg auto .22 at the auto match ammo.

10-15 years ago I had same issue with golden bullets. I have not used the new recipe ones though.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

I am usually a big fan of Federal, but the 22 Auto Match hasn't worked well for me either. I have tried it in the Rugers and the Smith Wesson M&P with far too many FTE's. The funny thing is the box says "Ideal for semi-autos" :rofl: :lol:
    The Remington Golden's have worked just fine :loco: :crazy: go figure...

mdavlee likes this.
  8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I can't believe e there still pumping those auto match out as many people on this non gun forum that have the same issue, everyone must have it!! I guess were all so desperate and they know it we will buy anything!!

I mean I was shooting them in a ruger mark3 22/45. Not a top quality bench rest pistol but certainly not a jennings or anything. It should shoot them fine. They will just say guns dont like certain ammo types yours just doesnt like this one I'm sure

mdavlee likes this.
  9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Tried them in the Ruger MkI, MKII and the MKIII Target with the same result. My M&P pistol won't get thru a complete mag without a FTE. :mad:

mdavlee likes this.
  10. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I just about couldnt on my 22/45. At least one per mag. So about a 10% fte on mine

11. GrJfer

GrJfer

I've been using the federal automatch for the past 2-3 years, and have had great luck with it. My M&P 15-22 and M&P 22C both have had a steady diet of it and digest it well.

12. mdavlee

mdavlee

Our walther p22 won't eject 2 out of each mag usually of the automatch. It will do better on federal bulk box.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    clemsonfor likes this.
  13. bassJAM

bassJAM

I don't know how Federal is making so much of this, and that's most of what's out there! I've seen more Automatch on the shelves or online than just about all the other bulk .22 ammo combined! Come on Remington, get your act together and get us some ammo! Or those 550 blue boxes of Federal, those shoot well out of most of my stuff.

clemsonfor likes this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea I dont know where Remington is? They producing almost no bulk stuff I see? How can federal flood so much v yet there not around. I also have got some bulk winchester here recently.

mdavlee likes this.
  15. RCBS

RCBS

New member, recent lurker. This thread got me to sign up.

Have always had pretty good luck with the Auto Match ammo. I have probably 8-10 boxes of it stashed. Bought it mainly for my Ruger 10/22T as it loves it. The golden Bullets have come a long way! I bought three 225 packs a while back and had zero issues with them. I also have a couple of the coveted 1400rd buckets hoarded away for a rainy day.

The 22lr saga has been going on now for a while. I feel lucky to have gotten mobilized and secured several thousand rounds before the prices got too high. Blazers were something I stocked up on heavily as they perform great out of all of my pistols and rifles. But it really came down to whatever was available at .06/rd delivered, which was my limit while stockpiling. I did end up buying some higher priced ammo later on due to it effectively being the same cost as "bulk". Norma Tac22 & CCI Std Velocity have risen to the top as far as accuracy vs cost. They are both also subsonic, which is my preference after buying a couple suppressors.

I have literally given up on physically walking into a store and buying rimfire ammo...it's just damm near impossible. My advice to you folks looking would be to keep a close eye on Gander Mountains website. They usually have something for sale almost every day and free shipping is usually easily attained. Shipping cost is crucial on 22lr...the difference between .08/rd and .12/rd. Doesn't seem like much, but multiply by 500 and it starts to add up quickly.

CCI Varmint Ammo .22 LR 36-gr. Mini Mag CPHP 100 rounds-413544 - Gander Mountain

In stock as of 10:38 eastern. Limit 5. Will need $10 more stuff to get free shipping.

Good luck to all!

HighCountry, fox9988 and mdavlee like this.
  16. GrJfer

GrJfer

RCBS welcome to the land of BTU's. Guns & ammo and chainsaws, tools everyone should own.

I'll second your findings on online ammo, .22lr is still just about nonexistent at brick and mortar stores. For that matter I buy most all of my ammo online these days.

HighCountry and mdavlee like this.
  17. bocefus78

bocefus78

Came here to report ^ those cci being available.

Welcome RCBS
    Glad somebody else besides me is looking daily! Btw, my 10/22t likes the auto match also, along with win m22 which is still hard to find.

18. bassJAM

bassJAM

I love Blazer .22 ammo! It also shot great out of all of my .22 firearms and was almost as accurate as CCI mini mags or CCI standard velocity. But in my area even before "The Scare" Blazers were hard to find. I was lucky to ever have more than a brick on hand at any time, and those I did have before this mess are of course long gone by now.

19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

When I go there it tells me I already have 5 of the CCI in my cart? I dont shop at gander or have hardly been to the site. I also recently cleared my data on chrome so it should not remember that if I did, and the cart icon says zero?? I think that was a link from your phone or computer and something screwy is going on. I even backed out to the main rim fire page and went back in and it told me the same thing. Oh well. I like buying at $0.06 a round.

20. RCBS

RCBS

Thank You.

I think I still have a 1000 pack of that somewhere. My SR22 pistol doesn't like it, but the rest of my stuff seemed to do ok.

I think it's one of the best "bangs for bucks" out there...pun intended!

It may have sold out. It's literally a game of minutes many times. I do know that they "get stock" a lot of times later in the evening...like 11pm eastern which is past my bedtime.

Some gratuitous pics of what I feed the ammo to:

Savage FV-SR. This rifle is SO accurate for $200. I originally bought it for the threaded barrel only to find out that it's quite the shooter!
    [​IMG]

Brothers from another mother. Top: Ruger bone stock 10/22T with spiral hammer forged barrel.
    Bottom: Ruger made the stock and trigger group, the rest is all Kidd customs. Scary accurate.
    [​IMG]

Ruger American Predator. Limited. 1 of 500. Great trigger, shoots well. This is what I use to chase the 10" gong at 230 yards.
    [​IMG]

Shooting flies with Savage FV-SR...great fun!!

[​IMG]

Some victims from this fall:

[​IMG]