In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2022 chimney cleaning results

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Sirchopsalot, Jun 3, 2022.

  1. Sirchopsalot

    Sirchopsalot

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2020
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    19,196
    Location:
    medium city in CT
    Welp, today was the kairos moment. Everything lined up, not too hot out, had the time, had a wood fire this morning to take the chill off. When I came home from work, the chimney got cleaned.

    This is the second cleaning ever, and climbing up on the roof was just as fun. I ran the soot eater down past the snout. There was a little convection from the morning fire....so a lot of dust came out. I was darker than my wife after that. I rigged my drill on a 'beaner, and hung the cap on the tile liner where it sticks out. There is NO place to set anything down up there. The soot eater fits in a deep back pack, like a quiver, so hands free for climbing up and back. The rope I looped around the chimney will stay there so getting up and back will be easier next time.

    This season, we burned a few weeks of less than dry wood. We made it a point to burn the stove hot, and that prevented issues. The liner cleaned very easily with the soot-eater. The top couple feet, where the chimney is exterior, cleaned easily. The cap had a nice black veneer, and some loose stuff that came off easily. No blockage or air hindrance whatsoever. There was perhaps 1/4" of soot on the liner walls, probably a little less.

    Im stoked that it went that easily, that the liner wasn't as bad as I supposed it might be with our less than stellar burning habits, and we're ready for the next heating season.

    Sca
     
    eatonpcat, Ron T, Eckie and 1 other person like this.
  2. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,278
    Likes Received:
    58,473
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    Sounds like all went well...thankfully!
     
    Sirchopsalot likes this.