In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2018 Spring buy pricing............

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by jtakeman, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

no flame here.....

Dan

IHATEPROPANE, bogieb and Rich250 like this.
  2. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Theres a lot of consolidation in the industry this year, as well as pellet companies lowering inventory levels versus prior years when they were sitting on a lot of product at the end of winter (Thanks, Big Boxes, didn't take what they committed to).....so, with less to sell, and still some demand, the Spring pricing we are currently seeing isn't a surprise at all. Likely this year, Spring pricing wont be as great as you folks are used to.....I am just hoping with less options and lower inventory we don't have a shortage when the procrastinators come into the market in early fall.....

3. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

Bingo!!

Rich250 likes this.
  4. artc

artc

yup, seeing mills increase prices (or hold steady at what they are at mid-winter pricing) citing increasing incoming wood fiber cost.

5. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Just not as economical as it was when I started back early 2000's. Still like to burn on the coldest, and stormy days like today. great backup plan also.

6. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I believe many feel the same way.

bogieb likes this.
  7. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

My previous Lenox drop feed would literally choke out, and overflow the burn pot overnight on ashy pellets, and was a nightmare to clean with the hidden flue passages.

My P-43 never chokes out, much easier to clean. And I will say, Burning for well over a decade, a lot of pellets today are ashier than they used to be.

PelletHound, will711, ttdberg and 3 others like this.
  8. Rich250

Rich250

Was the Lenox not adjustable . I'm not familiar with Lennox stoves

9. gbreda

gbreda

I got into the game in 2009 when pellets were still under 200/ton. Prices have gone up and some years I now burn very little (maybe a ton) but I always burn pellets. This year is back to being 3+ ton again. Options are good :)

10. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

I think how a few perceived what you wrote is that they feel you are alluding to the fact that the Harman WONT burn all pellets, when I don't believe that's what you meant. I took your comment to be, basically, that your Harman didn't burn the pellets you had any better than your old pellet units. Makes sense to me. If your old stoves burned those pellets completely, other than inert ash, the Harman isn't going to burn them MORE completely.
    There are stoves out there that do choke on certain pellets....some high ash pellets can be a problem, and also, pellets which tend to form clinkers can be a real problem in stoves that "top drop".....especially when the user of the stove is negligent....those are the folks over on the "other" forum.

11. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

yea, with the lower fuel oil costs, pellets are not as great a deal as they used to be. I still maintain my house is more comfortable with my stove versus my baseboard hot water, but that might also be because, being a Harman owner, the sun perpetually shines on me, even in the worst weather!

12. gbreda

gbreda

So true. Rich250 hasnt been a Harman owner long enough to know this yet :rofl: :lol:

13. Rich250

Rich250

Exactly Lousy. All wood pellets are made of wood of some type , all pellet stoves will burn wood pellets, how any particular stove handles different pellets can vary greatly as we all know and that can be determined by many things. So when I hear folks say that Harmans burn any pellet what I mean by being over rated is that any stove will burn wood pellets but there is a difference of burning and how any given stove handles burning the pellets , any stove can have that pellet that it don't like including harmans or I wouldn't read about them being choked out.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

I had a Lennox T-300 pellet stove ( Google for picture, etc) for 6+ years. . It used Whitfield parts, in a nice cast iron housing. The wife liked how it looked. But it had a TINY ash pan, had to slide a grate to move ash, and had a strange air flow passage. These issues are on many stove forums. It was common to have to clean out the pot every 24 hours due to chinkers, ash, etc. it did have a adjustable damper, but only helped marginally.

In contrast, my Harman can go days without touching, although I like to kick the chinkers out . Weeks between ash pan emptying. Never chokes out or overflows.

15. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

My first ton was $135. :eek: Ill burn around 2 tons this year. trying to burn down the ashy Maines I have now. And some remnants from the fire sale 3 years ago for $99 a ton.

16. Rich250

Rich250

I sure hope it kicks in soon because I'm getting tired of going to work so i'm still waiting for the 100 dollar bills to drop from the sky :yes:

17. will711

will711

That's why I love my Harman's , no matter what flavor pellet I burn :cheers:

18. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

could be that since you haven't rid yourself of the Ravelli yet, its inhibiting all the good things that the rest of us Harman owners enjoy......

19. Rich250

Rich250

could be, I find many good things with the Harman but I'm not seeing the wow factor of how it burns various pellets.I guess that's the price you pay when you had a quality stove prior to a harman.

20. Tullytown

Tullytown

good explanation there...