In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2018 & 2019 Firewood Work

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Aug 24, 2018.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

That's for sure.

Chazsbetterhalf, T.Jeff Veal and Chaz like this.
  2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

When we first started heating with wood, I did the cutting and my wife did the stacking since we had the wood stove installed in the spring, we had two face cord of sugar maple that had been c/s and in a pile in the woods for a year and the rest was seasoned for about six months but I re-split everything before we brought it in to burn, that was the last year for that.

3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Thanks Jeff, in 2016 it was our father (sort of expected) because he had a single lung transplant in 2009 which only last a certain amount of time but in 2017 it wasn't expected for this new family member.

4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I need a change of scenery or just from some stacking so this is on the schedule, hopefully it's off the hill by Monday. It's a maple but
    I'm not sure what type. 101_1985.JPG

5. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Its type of maple you:saw: :axe:then:stacker:.. Called firewood;)

6. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I think it's a soft maple but yes, you're correct on it will be firewood. Last year a ash fell over just up the trail from this and on the same hill I did get a smaller beech.

It looks like the weather will stay hot so I'll take my three gallon water cooler with me, maybe I can water some trees during this dry period!
    [​IMG]

7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We received a chit load of rain overnight and today so the above maple on the hill will have to wait a few days so it can dry out but I have another maple that mother nature snapped off last year that's on flat ground that I'll grab tomorrow.

We have 51 face cord up with one stacking area open that we can fit another 12 to 14 face cord, I'm thinking after tomorrow, I'll have another four face cord to stack with two face cord already split.

8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I grabbed this not so good maple this morning, mother nature snapped it off. I'll be going back out to split this maple, yellow birch and some cherry which should get stacked tomorrow.

Attached Files:

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I split the maple,yellow birch and some cherry which I hope gives us another two face cord.

Attached Files:

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I stacked a face cord of some of the wood I split yesterday, it's a combo of cherry and yellow birch.

Attached Files:

T.Jeff Veal, Thor, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I split the cherry and maple today before the temps hit 80, this will get stacked with some yellow birch when it cools off.

Our temp is 81 heading over 90 today.

Attached Files:

12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

The temp is 88, humidity is 61% and the dewpoint is 73 so nothing got done today.

13. Chaz

Chaz

I fixed the riding mower, then abandoned the great outdoors.

I have AC for a reason.
    :dennis:

14. papadave

papadave

Yep. Pretty sure the reason is to see how high we can get the electric bill. :hair::rofl: :lol::picard:

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I decided today was the day to get a few of my hairs cut, have my brow trimmed so I have brows :Dand get the mail, that's about it for the day.

Tomorrow it looks like a rainy day so I'll hand file a few chains along with taking down the rakers.

16. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

This part of the cherry is from opening up the gully this spring, it was rotting (full of ants this spring) so we felled it. I bucked up what was left and then split it, I'm thinking the wood in the last two pictures should be a face cord and maybe more.

Before I did the above, I changed the oil in the push mower and the splitter in the picture.

Attached Files:

Thor, T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter and 3 others like this.
  17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I lowered the rakers and sharpened (hand filed) the chain on the 310, I'll do the same on the chain on the 390 tomorrow.

It's time I finished c/s the rest of the ash back in the gully and then stack it.

18. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Good working weather...lol

19. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I enjoyed the A/C for too many days, it's time that I get more work done in the woods. I also have some smaller stumps that I'll dig out with the 4540.

If I can cut another 10 - 14 face cord before our first big snowfall, I'll be a happy camper.

20. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I understand about the A/C. My control room at my job is nice and cold...spoils me a lot of days.