In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2 cords 3-6 mos old @$240/cord

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Doug MacIVER, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

Hope you get your wood issue sorted out soon.

My arborist sells wood he takes down. He gets paid to haul it away from the property he just took it down from, and then sells it back to homeowners in the winter. He sometimes drops loads at my house of less desirable wood, silver maple, cotton wood, willow, if he is nearby. I save him a trip to the landfill, and a couple of hundred dollars, sometimes he drops off good wood, oak, Black Locust, but not often.

Cant Complain when he drops free wood in my drive, but so many opportunists to scrounge in the X-burbs around Detroit that are less than 10miles form my house and good wood.

bigbarf48 likes this.
  2. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

Glad it's getting straightened out

3. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Hot dam
    Good to have someone take a serious approach to get it resolved.
    Am betting your wood stack will be a strong 2 cords soon :)

Doug MacIVER likes this.
  4. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

Well,well. The seller's wife just called and will be returning$120.00 to me. Cannot ask for a better resolution. one point, the seller himself seems that he can't face a dissatisfied customer and doesn't want to see his short delivery. I find that to be just a little curious. Have a day, I had one.

Loon, milleo, reelcrzy and 2 others like this.
  5. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Checks in the mail !
    Don't call the dogs yet. :)

6. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

It is possible that he truly thought he was giving you the full 2 cords. Some people, when faced with their own ignorance cannot seem to admit it , especially after they have publicly stated they know better. We even see it here right bogydave ....lol So give the guy a break, even though it took some work he did right in the end, and you know never to go back to him.

splitoak likes this.
  7. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

just for the sake of argument, I would not have my wife call, I would not have my wife deliver the refund. I am planning to ask the wife to please inspect the stack so SHE not HE can see what was delivered. then I move on. would you send your wife out on your errand caused by your fault. buy more wood from BOB SINGLETON, EAST BRIDGEWATER, MASS(SINGLETON OCHARD) bring your tape.

milleo likes this.
  8. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

No, but some people are not able to admit that they were wrong. Simple as that, pride cometh before the fall

splitoak likes this.
  9. splitoak

splitoak

Very true..

10. billb3

billb3

Doug MacIVER likes this.
  11. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

here is an interesting development. after 3 emails & a phone call to the E.Bridgewater Wts & Mea guy over the last month, he finally responded. that response came one day after I called the State? get 8oz. of steak in a pack marked 12oz, they'd be all over it. my guess they kind of look at wood as a tough and a subjective problem. overall, I'm pleased by both depts. response and the
    pleasant outcome for me.

12. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

cash refunded end of saga, have a day

reelcrzy and bigbarf48 like this.
  13. milleo

milleo

O.K. Let us know if you actually receive a refund...

14. tlandrum

tlandrum

you guys pay a lot for wood. I can buy a cord of wood here in tn for 120 delivered. I sell it for 50 a face cord at my shop. I trade shop labor to the guys around here for wood. I trade my hourly labor to them for 2 face cord per hr of labor.

15. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

Is that 120/cord a normal price or you getting that from a friend or something? That's crazy cheap

16. Uncle Augie

Uncle Augie Banned

You can get it for about 150 a cord delivered in SE Michigan, so I don't see 120 as too cheap, bet if you bought 3 you could get it for that price

17. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

great prices for wood in you neck of the woods, if it priced like that around here I'd have 3 stoves.

one last comment on my refund. the wife was very pleasant. I asked if she wanted to see the stack, but she declined. during the conversation she mentioned that this was their first complaint in 104 deliveries. I took that as " your not short, your full of tihs". I simply told her that the inspector does not agree with you and you didn't deliver 2 cords. you did drop off 1 &1/2 cord. she could only shrug her shoulders and nod her head. really wish b. singleton had shown up but he is stuck in his own measure.

anyone in our local area beware of this guy, make it clear your not going to take short deliveries or avoid the guy altogether.

18. boettg33

boettg33

You mentioned that you shop around for the lowest price. That is your prerogative. However; my recommendation would be to find a reputable supplier, and then stick with them. You might pay a bit more, but it's worth the extra cost to build a relationship. My experience has been that suppliers are more flexible with repeat customers. They go to the top of the list. Especially when wood is in high demand this year. The company I purchase log lengths from told me that they are all out of wood. When I talked to the owner, he informed me that he has semi-seasoned he'll sell as I am a frequent customer.

Just my two cents.

Jason from RI

Firewood Bandit likes this.
  19. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

tried to go back to last year's supplier and sold out. I've got to adjust my buying as I'm a late fall guy for the following year. I get your point and agree , my timing is off as well. pallets this year will help before I hit the canawick brick hard with the coldest part of winter in front of us.

20. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

gal that works for me just told me a friend doing a house clean out has a cord and one half of seasoned hardwood for $50-75 . gone check it out the afternoon. Merry Christmas everybody. Have a day.

Loon and bigbarf48 like this.