In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

2 cords 3-6 mos old @$240/cord

Discussion in 'The Wood Market' started by Doug MacIVER, Oct 20, 2014.

1. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

Not a bad tactic, but I don't think refusing to sell to you speaks to their integrity. Your proposition is a pain for the wood seller. Even a guy that sells honest cords isn't gonna want to take partial payment on wood (how do they know you're good for the rest?) when there's plenty of buyers beating down the door for wood before winter

I sell wood in totally honest dimensions. You order a cord, you get a cord. And I wouldn't spend time dealing with that when I can just sell to someone else

2. the GOAT

the GOAT Banned

Just measure the truck before they dump, 1 cord = 180 cubic feet of loose thrown wood.

Depending on who stacks it you might be a little over or under 128 cubic feet stacked but it will be close.

milleo likes this.
  3. Flamestead

Flamestead

I'll second this. Here's what the State of VT tells people buying wood. You probably have something similar.

Firewood deliveries must also provide the customer with an invoice with the dealers name and address, customers name and address, date of delivery, number of cords delivered, price per cord and total price, and the type of wood (maple, etc.). Firewood must be sold by the cord, and terms such as “rack, facecord or truckload” are illegal. A cord of firewood must equal 128 cubic feet. When you purchase firewood, pile it as soon as possible to determine if you have received the amount you paid for.If you have any questions on purchases of heating fuel, or if you feel that you have not received what you have paid for, contact the Consumer Protection Section
    of the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets at 802-828-2426.​

4. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

5. reelcrzy

reelcrzy

I see your in Hanover. Ever deal with Chris Glynn tree service in Hanover ? They were selling close to a 6 ft pick up truck load for 60.00 last year ( in your truck ). Not sure what they get for a full cord delivered though.

6. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

never have, thanks for the heads up. bought from Elliot in Whitman last year, he is sold out this year. have not been a consistent one supplier customer. always on the lookout for the best$$$$. have had good expensive deliveries from Go Green, and LaTourneau in Pembroke. thought this guy would be a good one,his wood is fine. will go back to Elliot next year, but will check Glynn.

7. Machria

Machria

Funny, many years ago when I used to buy firewood now and then for my fireplace, I had no idea what a real cord was, and really didn't care since I didn't burn much. Anyway, each year or two I would order a "cord" from a local newspaper add, or CL when it started.... and usually a guy would show up with a small pickup and for $125 or so, would dump off a "pile" on my lawn. I would stack it in my old little woodshed (which I now know only holds about 1/3 of a cord). Well, I usually had room leftover, it rarely filled the shed. So one year I run out of wood and make the usual call, and a guy shows up with a massive highway paving type blacktop dump truck. You know the silver/aluminum ones that hold the blacktop when they are paving a road. I look in it from upstairs and the truck is about 3/4 full. This was a BIG truck!! He knocked on the door and asked where I wanted the wood dumped. Of course I asked "how much of the wood in the truck am I getting?". He chuckled and said "You ordered a cord, didn't you?".

He dumped it all and I filled my little shed and quickly realized I had barely put a dent in the pile he dumped!! That was the last time I ever bought wood, cause it lasted a few years and I started to collect my own.... I was probably getting 1/4 of a cord all those years.

Jon1270, splitoak and Drvn4wood like this.
  8. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

well two weeks and a no show when he said he would, no return emails, photos supplied, latest call today, message left. any people in the Brockton area beware of an E.Bridgewater wood dealer selling cordwood @ $240. craig's list. grows apples pears on his farm, told me he get's his wood from Palaza & McDonough. since the town's weight and measure guy's don't have a clue, the next move is to file a complaint with the state. it has become a matter of principle.

splitoak, milleo and bigbarf48 like this.
  9. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

with no response I have to ask the mods for permission to post the name of this fraud. if I can't I understand.

splitoak likes this.
  10. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

great response from the East Bridgewater wt. & measure person, Mr David Moore. will visit Mr. Singleton this afternoon. can' task for more than that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    splitoak, milleo, reelcrzy and 2 others like this.
  11. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

I wouldn't sell to you.

I prefer not to deliver if I don't have to. When customers come I have them hold the tape and measure with me as we measure off the stacks and then draw a line with marking paint as to what will be theirs. I will help them load. Never had a complaint.

The stacks are over 4' high when stacked to account for shrinkage when drying, uglies are thrown on top as bonuses.

[​IMG]

lknchoppers likes this.
  12. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

update time. the E. Bridgewater Wts & Meas. guy never followed through on his end. Never got an answer to 3-4 email requests. Called the State this afternoon, they took my info and claim someone will come look at it. also sent them copies of emails to the seller whose email is now inactive.

13. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

The unscrupulous often win...because they don't care either way. If he gets shut down, he'll go elsewhere under a new identity or something goofy like that.

14. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    I'd try to work on the "Pay 1/2 now & the other half when stacked & measured "
    Probably get some that frown & balk, (something to hide? 0move to someone else )
    but many would say fine, now you have a seller you can use for many years :)

15. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Got burned many times by giving all the money upfront. I agree.

16. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

The best way to not get screwed is to KNOW what the amount of wood you're ordering looks like

If the guy shows up in a 1/2 ton pickup full to the rails, it isn't a cord. You're going to have a hard time finding a seller that will drop off wood, and only take 1/2 the money. Then hes gotta come back when you get around to stacking it, etc. Dont be afraid to turn people away if you can tell the load is short, or it is low quality/wet wood

milleo and splitoak like this.
  17. firecracker_77

firecracker_77

Firewood is a strange item. Sellers think about all the hard work and some may feel they aren't getting paid enough anyway, so some may you are getting a great deal regardless.

18. the GOAT

the GOAT Banned

+1

There isn't enough money in selling firewood for me. Lots of expenses.

splitoak likes this.
  19. Machria

Machria

+ another 100 from me! That has to be a tough bidness! Gotta get the wood (aka find it, scrounge it, do tree work for it...), then transport it to home/shop, then buck it, then split it, then load a truck, then transport it, then unload it... All for $100-$200 ?

Come to think about it, why they hell aren't I buying my wood!!! :faint:

splitoak and Gary_602z like this.
  20. Doug MacIVER

Doug MacIVER

wts & measure showed up today. (how about the State office getting the work to the towns pronto). The wts. guy called the seller and told him to get it straightened out. Called me back to make sure I knew what's up and to call him with the results. this is his first case on short wood sales. apparently the State ran a seminar on this subject last summer. have a day

milleo likes this.