In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

100 Amp Main Breaker

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by yooperdave, Jan 14, 2020.

1. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

:yes:
    Just an example, my 50amp camper plug.
    My camper has 2 legs of 110. Campers don't use any 220 circuits.

2. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Ok. Yes, that is what is called a split-bus panel. It's an older design not produced for some time now. It's been altered significantly and is a very good candidate for updating to a modern panel.
    The two upper segments were designed only to have two pole/240v breakers, typically all dedicated heavy power circuits like the A/C, usually the others would be electric stove/oven, water heater etc. and would all be main breakers in combination.
    Without being able to see how it's wired inside, I'll assume its still configured as a split-bus and the 50amp. labeled Main, would disconnect power only to the 120v circuits in the lower third segment. Power would still be on to any of the breakers in the two upper segments which should not have the single pole/120v circuit, breakers and definitely shouldn't have the tandem type single pole breakers with two switches. You could potentially overload any of the components on the service entrance side. I'd imagine it's a bit of a birds nest in there. Think seriously about replacing that panel.

3. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

So it confirmed it's a 100AMP, thanks RabbleRouser much appreciated!

Yes, this house was built in early 60's. When we bought it, most everything was original including this panel. It's for sure a birds nest and I have been wanting to replace it for sometime now. I plan on possibly replacing it with part of my tax return this year. Wasn't sure if I should jump to a 200 or 150AMP. Thanks again!

yooperdave likes this.
  4. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Well, yes & no. Pretty sure you understand but I think we should be clear for anybody else that might read this. Your service was likely installed as 100amp. and that panel is likely a 100 amp. panel (is there a data tag/label somewhere?) but there is more involved than that. If I'm right about the internal configuration that I can't see, as configured, you could potentially draw 200 amps through your likely 100amp rated entrance cable/meter socket etc.
    Whether or not you should switch up to 125, 150 or 200amp depends on load and future expectations etc. But another factor is, if all the equipment is original early 1960's, the main service entrance cable may/could be an old Loomex cable, insulated with rubberized woven cloth and would need to be replaced even if you were staying with a 100amp service. If that's the case, switching up to a higher service level becomes a bit more viable too.

5. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

ReelFaster if it helps, the price difference when I had to upgrade my panel after fire, main wire (350’), house socket disconnect, and panel box. To increase from 100amp to 200 amp service was less than $300, IIRC. For me that difference made a 200 amp panel a no brained..

7. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Agreed 100%, if its a marginal increase between the two I will for sure go 200 :yes:

Chaz, brenndatomu and yooperdave like this.
  8. yooperdave

yooperdave

Got a couple estimates for panel replacement (100), new meter socket, new masthead, new feed from power co all the way to panel and its looking like to be around 2K.

Yeah, government is getting their share too.

Chaz, brenndatomu and ReelFaster like this.
  9. ironpony

ironpony

Pull the permit, buy all the parts, take about 3 hours and swap everything out. Call for inspection then power company to hook back up. $500 or less.

10. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

If you're staying at 100 amp. service, why do you need a new meter socket and new masthead? I'm assuming by "masthead" you're talking about rigid conduit coming down into the meter enclosure? Water been getting in?

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Interesting ironpony here you need a master license to pull permit

farmer steve, Chaz and yooperdave like this.
  12. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Your posts about this stuff keep confusing me. I've spoken to quite a few people from Vermont who have always said that you don't need a permit for anything there, except a septic system or to drill a well. If I didn't know better I'd think you were in New York City or Boston.

I know that can change within larger cities, multi-family buildings etc. but I don't get the feeling you're in one. Newport?
    The other side of that coin is, I know for a fact that no homeowner anywhere, is "required" by any law, to apply for a permit to do work on their own home. A licensed contractor is, according to the dictates of his/her State license but not homeowners. But, I'll digress before I get another thread deleted.

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

RabbleRouser nope live near St. Albans lake side near Canadian Border.. listen it’s all good I will explain in greater details.. most Vermonters are wrong.. Any city in the state that you need a permit to do the work you need a license to get the permit! Common understanding here is if it’s your personal house you do not need a master to do your electric. Well I had a electrical fire at the house and I found out that is Incorrect! If a fire marshal, a fire, or a trip of a breaker on the pole occurs. You need a permit to get it fixed. Also any master electrician can red flag your house and the electrical company will stop power to Your house and if you want it back they have all the rights!!

moreover I also own properties in Burlington Barre and Winooski and in those cities you need a permit to paint your house or change a window!! Most people plead stupidity.. fines 100 a day per offense ask me how I know :headbang:;)

green Mtn power (GMP) covers over 55% of state they require permit not town if you don’t get it you don’t get power.
    Listen I don’t want any threads shut down certainly on my account. In my town where personal residence is if you build over 100 sq ft a year without a permit they can pull your certificate of occupancy. I personally know of a house in Jericho which is a town in middle of nowhere they made him remove his house because he didn’t have a CO

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  14. yooperdave

yooperdave

Remind me to add Vermont to the list of places not to live in! :picard: I lwoould not respond well to such "restrictions" :handshake:

15. ironpony

ironpony

Generally a homeowner can pull a permit for their OWN home, they still need an inspection done. I do it all the time when I buy and sell, electrical, plumbing, etc. Now it might be different there.

16. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

For the sake of keeping the peace here, I'm going to bite my tongue for the most part except to say that any municipal/state government will continue to behave heinously in regards to anyone that continues to let them get away with it. I don't.
    I had it out with the power company here in the police state of New Jersey... They threatened to disconnect my power. I said, if you disconnect my power, remove all of your equipment from the easement you enjoy on my property. 3)Utility poles, guy cables, and wires going up the road to serve other houses. The easement that burdens my property is contingent on continuation of power service. If you don't remove the equipment, I will bill your company $250.- per day for use of my property while there is no power. They got back in their trucks and left. They have no rights.
    I could go on but I think I said something about biting my tongue...

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

OK, N J added to the list of states not to move to...…! :picard:

The power company here decided to put a pole on my Mom's land. They drew up papers to purchase just a corner of the property; or the papers were just an easement, I can't remember; in order for their (power co.) protection legality liability etc. I told my Mom to tell them just allow her use of power at no charge!

18. Flamestead

Flamestead

There is Burlington area, and then there is the rest of Vermont - there isn't even the faintest whiff of an inspector down here. I sometimes get permits due to the lister living across the street, but that's the end of the story.

At my first place in Colorado I replaced all electrical from the meter onward myself, the plumbing, the roof from the top plates up, etc. over several years. Early on the inspectors were there for every step and had time to help me learn. In later years, as it boomed, they had no humor, time, or flexibility. I think Burlington has some of the boom issues/mentality.

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Yeah Guys not trying to argue, when my house caught fire and my electrical meter socket main disconnect is what caught fire, I did not need a permit. I did however need the state electrical inspector who licenses masters in state and a master electrician before Green Mountain power would re-energize my home.
    I went 24+~ days without power trust me when I say it’s hard for the women and my FHC addiction:handshake: if I told my power company to remove their stuff from my land they would laugh and do it.. then the mortgage Company would call meAnd put me in restriction for lowering the value of the property they hold a mortgage on if they didn’t automatically placed me in foreclosure..

Flamestead You are partially right the cities of Montpelier Winooski and Barre have completely adopted Burlington codes. BUT Other than that Burlington a nice town to leave as it’s easy to get to Vermont from there

To be clear I also built and own multi unit rentals and work roffice duty to a sprinkler company and all require permits For commercial So I will try to be careful in the future when I reference private versus commercial buildings.

RabbleRouser no hard feelings with me NOT trying to argue..
    It’s just my experience, when you’re trying to fight The establishments better to have more $$$ there’s more than one way to skin a cat

20. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

No hard feelings at all brother. Didn't mean to alienate anyone. Just, watching these gov. agencies act like tyrannical monarchs & lording over people like slave masters gets my dander up real quick. They made my life miserable for years until I had had enough and began studying law from a very different angle then what they tell you the law is and found out that they aren't even remotely as all powerful as they tell you they are. ("Pay no attention to that little man behind the curtain...") Been having a lot of fun pushing back ever since.
    Your situation was certainly a bit different having had a fire that originated in the electrical system.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020