27 dropping fast towards the mid teens. Heavy hitting beech is throwing the heat tonight.
I'm with Brad here, empty racks = opportunity/justification to hoard more :thumbs: It also means all of my past hoarding was worth the effort. I...
I definitely noticed the extra daylight in the evening this past week and really appreciate it. Although I'm looking forward to spring for...
Pine/spruce/hemlock, Tulip poplar, red maple, silver maple (sugar needs longer), aspen, black cherry, and in the right conditions dead ash can be...
A mild 34 here heading to 25 by dawn. Just a small 2 split fire going now: apple in the front, and a fat chunk of black locust hiding behind it....
[MEDIA]
23 and rising slowly. Supposed to be getting some overnight snow transitioning to ice then rain by morning, with daytime highs tomorrow in the mid...
My son loves going out onto the ice. Apparently it loves him too. [ATTACH]
I'm positive it's oak of some sort, and judging by the smooth bark it looks like it could be a relatively young red oak. I'm sticking with red oak...
Good to know. If I ever have the opportunity I'll try some out. I've been burning coal beds down with conifers this year but I almost have to run...
Looks like by this afternoon we'll have some tolerable processing weather. That's a beauty of a white oak too. I never turn down the opportunity...
I hear you, it's a lot of brutal work to split the big stuff manually. Here's a picture of a large red oak that came down in my backyard August...
Attacking any existing cracks definitely helps. Also working a line back and forth a little at a time. When I was a strict hand splitter, I found...
The little bit of wood grain I can see looks like some kind of oak. A picture of the end grain and a split piece would help further.
We finally hit zero here. Beech and black locust keeping the house in the low 70s. [ATTACH]
9 here at my house with zero on the horizon by dawn. Just got home and reloaded the stove with black locust and a little Osage Orange. It won’t be...
Hey Cold Trigger Finger you were asking about my stove a couple weeks ago, concerning the secondary burn. Here’s what it looks like. You can see...
Nobody bats an eye at somebody who puts a little away every week into his savings account, eventually sitting on a nice nugget. “Hoarding” wood...
Looks like I’m running a little low on degrees this morning, but not completely out yet :D Black birch, beech and black locust getting the house...
Noooooo I love the stuff, which is why I wouldn’t want it buried at the bottom!