Rachel Maddow will report that his finger was on the trigger and there was a string line from his pointer finger going across the Pacific, over...
Hmmm. I’ve got a face cord of dead barkless elm that’s been split and stacked since March, and was thinking of using it come February or so... I...
The only wood I’ll purposely leave in the round to “season” before splitting is elm. Even then, that’s only to make the wood less stringy before I...
I thought of that and can agree to an extent. There are a few variables at play here. What shape(s) the splits are, how many of each shape there...
The rack won’t be as full after everything is split. Reason being, smaller gaps between pieces.
It changes for me year to year depending on what’s ready. Last year it was mostly black locust, red oak, ash and cherry. This year the bulk will...
Yeah I would say what you have Ralphie Boy is a dead ringer for the couple American elm scores I’ve gotten. Funny how once I see the words “red...
No... I wasn’t even aware. That’s either a funny coincidence or I’m in tune to the matrix big time today. I haven’t listened to Santana in a long...
I’m changing my vote to elm. I’ve seen some red maple with similar bark but never a dead one that was that solid looking. The discolored heart...
I concur with your dead red maple verdict :yes: Could this be another gift from Chipdrop Ralphie Boy ?
[MEDIA]
I've only gotten pin oak once, and it was just a couple rounds at that. Fresh cut it was pretty dark red, but after a few months as the ends dried...
Ahhh I see what you're driving at with the appearance of a faint sapwood ring. Possibly Pin Oak with that smooth bark. I'm not sure I see any...
Nice dump score :thumbs: This one could be tree of heaven. If underneath the bark smells like rancid peanut butter, that's what I'd put my money...
I took a small cookie from this score, chopped it into smoker sized pieces and brought it into work for a coworker friend. He was more than happy...
I was digging around the FHC archives and came across this thread. Looks to me like what you have here is Chinese chestnut. Here's a couple bark...
In a way I’m not too surprised a few of the seeds were still viable. Those trees were acclimated to the desert climate and were “designed” to go...
How does it burn? I'm not expecting to be blown away by it, but if there's a pleasant smell while burning (like cherry) that would be kind of a...
One stove load at a time. (No I don’t store it on the top of my stove either) :p When I fire it up first thing in the morning, I’ll have the next...
I figured you might have been aware of the story, although I'm sorry to hear that it hits a little too close to home for you. Such a horrible...