Finding replacement logs will be difficult. There are companies that specialize in reclaimed chestnut lumber that comes from dismantling old...
Yes, I found a couple standing trees believe it or not, as well as broken limbs and trunks that fell but were snagged on other trees or teetering...
The stuff I’m finding looks to me like the original wood from when the blight first hit. I’m finding large trunks and large limb wood. Of all the...
Lately while hiking I’ve been finding more and more dead chestnut that was killed over 110 years ago when the blight hit. I decided to start...
I did that with quite a few smaller 10-12” stumps over the years. I would excavate underneath them, get a roaring fire going and keep it fed all...
I just took a walk outside and one of the red maples overhanging the warm parking lot here is starting to bud. They're not going to like the mid...
Man, your winters are shorter than Alaskan summers :jaw: We've got a nice warm spell up here too. If not for the snow cover, I'm sure the flowers...
28° this morning, supposed to hit 50° later. Red maple and black cherry in the firebox.
The talking box told me those are just oppositional talking points, not real world problems :picard:
What would you call the loyal opposition then? An international socialist?
28 at the moment, heading towards the mid 40s this afternoon. Currently burning a mix of red maple, beech and mulberry.
Yeah but unlike some states to the south-southwest of us, the privilege of pumping our own gas has been bestowed upon us :rofl: :lol:
Large growth rings and a cross section of the bark looking like layered cookies says elm to me as well.
Listening to the local rock station when Pink Floyd’s Money comes on. Apparently the part where David Gilmour says “BS” is no longer censored :dex:
My wife just sent this to me. [ATTACH]
You missed out on being overwhelmed twice :rofl: :lol: I don't blame you for passing on the second load. That's enough chaos in the driveway to...
That white stripe along the large trunk section really has me thinking elm. Looks like red/slippery elm at first glance, but not quite right. I’ll...
It’s 35 here with a projected low of 25. I just shuffled a couple racks around and now I’m burning a mix of spruce, beech uglies and red oak scraps.
Saw this in my local newspaper yesterday. I've got something going on that day, otherwise I'd love to participate. The Bristol Press - Plymouth...
I noticed that too burning smooth bark hickory. Quite a bit of fine ash. It seemed to be less of an issue burning pieces without bark though.