Sorry for the confusion. This picture was a different species from what I brought home today. Larger dark core relative to the outer diameter,...
The one I grabbed also had a dark center like that, albeit smaller. My log was a bit smaller by the looks of it too. If what I found wasn’t gum,...
Black birch
My guess was that this is black gum, being that I’m slightly outside the sweet gum range. I’m sure there’s isolated populations of it around...
Here’s another mystery wood that I unwittingly “scored” from the same roadside cutting. I’m 99% sure I know what it is but figured I’d let you...
It's the time of year, especially down south. The sap is running as the trees are getting ready for the growing season.
Well, here we are just about a month later and oil has expectedly hit $100/barrel. As of today the price per gallon of home heating oil through my...
This is my favorite middle-of-the-road firewood. Fast drying, good for shoulder season or mixed in with your heavy hitters in the dead of winter,...
The year advertised is wrong but that thing is a gem :rofl: :lol: I haven't seen one of those around in a LONG, long time.
The way that first guy is lifting the maul up is making me cringe. Not exactly the right technique nor easy on the back.
I’ve got to be around 3 cord at this point. Now that I’m burning spruce to supplement my hardwood mix pretty much daily, I’m going through a lot...
This was a fun place to check out with my kids a few years ago. The Nautilus museum next to the submarine base in Groton Connecticut. Submarine...
Well I almost thought about hoisting my flak gun to the roof and putting a few holes into the fuselage of the imaginary helicopter, but alas I...
I was out on the back deck picking up wood to bring inside. All of a sudden, off in the distance I hear a noise I shouldn’t be hearing. It takes...
27 at the moment, projected to get down to the mid teens by dawn. I’ve got a couple fat splits of spruce going, burning down red and sugar maple...
There's an unpopular but very prominent person on this side of the pond that resembles that name :whistle:
Beauty white oak score NCwoodhoarder and welcome to FHC. As others have said, give it plenty of time to dry and you're going to have some premium...
You guys got me going on a Pink Floyd kick. I kind of got pulled into their music backwards, chronologically speaking. First through the wall...
Don’t judge me because I get my jollies running through the infirmary sniffing up on all the sleepers ;)
I don’t know to be honest. I inherited it from my grandfather right before he passed. I’ll have to weigh it to be sure but I think it’s the 16....