When you split it, give it a sniff. If it smells sweet like cherry, it’s obvious cherry. If it’s got a wintergreen smell, it’s yellow birch....
A raw 48 and very windy. I’ll be waking up to the mid 30s tomorrow, and every day thereafter until Sunday :hair: Red/silver maple rolling the...
Any chance that cherry is a yellow birch? Even if that’s the case, that’s a fantastic score! I took one down here in November: One big birch
Nice retrieve on the red maple EODMSgt :yes: As someone who also gets his firewood a little at a time, I can appreciate a nice (and free) straight...
It’s 52 and rainy here. The house was at 68 but felt much colder. I decided to light the red maple that was ready to go in advance. My stove room...
Prime example of why NOT to plant Bradford pears/Cleveland select. 25 years ago this was an open field that I used to ride my dirt bike in. It’s...
Black locust sawdust stuck to the saw? That’s trafficking wood over state lines! I’m calling every acronym agency I know to put an end to this...
In my early days I'd be all over that. Wow, FREE! :picard: In modern well-stocked wood snob times I wouldn't even waste the fuel in my saw trying...
Nothing wrong with that. I have just as much fun catching bluegill, perch and pumpkinseed as I do trout, catfish or largemouth bass. :thumbs:
Currently 53 rising to 60 later on. No fire but I have the firebox loaded with red maple shorties, paper and kindling for the next burn. I like...
I’ve fished black pond a few times and have seen the cliffs there but haven’t gone to the top yet. I went up Mt. Higby a lot as a kid and went up...
Today I took a hike with my 10 year old to explore a section of the Metacomet Ridge, which runs from Long Island Sound to just south of Vermont....
Looking great! Split that cedar into kindling and it’ll get that locust rolling in a hurry :thumbs:
Today I took a hike up a section of a local ridge that I’ve never been on before. I ended up coming across a large grove of these trees that I’ve...
39° burning mostly silver maple shorties with a couple chunks of red maple mixed in.
This is the time of year that’s easiest to spot them. Full of flowers and they have that too perfect unnatural pyramid form. I see them all along...
Stupid question: Any chance that’s a homemade anvil? Almost looks like it was made from a section of railroad iron. I know, wrong type of metal,...
That's some high density planting :thumbs: Were all those acorns intentionally planted or did the squirrels forget about a huge cache of them?
$50 is one heck of a deal. I've had mine since 2011 and it's cut a LOT of wood since then. For something that I picked up quick at Home Depot,...
100% black locust :yes: