Started on the 45 degree lateral supports. Made an upper and lower horizontal cut with my hand saw, then hammered and chiseled a somewhat flat...
Got the posts flush notched (that’s what I’m calling it :)) for the Simpson steel brackets. Brackets installed, and the beams are doubled up with...
I thought of that too. It would at least give it a broader surface to sit on and wouldn’t settle over time/snow load. After I mark the beams where...
Here’s a greenhorn question ~ with a 1/12 pitch roof on this quick and dirty project, would you even bother cutting a bird’s mouth into the rafters?
I dug up all the spare hardware I had kicking around that was left over from when I built my deck in 2020. Looks like I have enough hurricane ties...
I originally wanted just a tin roof but can’t find any used panels anywhere. I’d rather not waste my money on the corrugated plastic ones either,...
Thanks for the input. I just looked up rolled roofing and you weren’t kidding. MUCH cheaper. Average $35-$45 for a 3 foot wide x 36’ roll. Looks...
Sorry, I mistyped 2x12 earlier. I MEANT 2x6. Like you said, 2x12 isn’t cheap and would defeat my budget goals. I’m gonna have to stick with the...
When I sister more 2x6’s to the beam(s), I want to overlap the joints of the existing ones, correct? I think I have enough extra laying around to...
Not much pitch at all. 1/12 :whistle: I have about the same on the run for my chicken coop and it sheds water alright. I wanted more pitch but...
She’d rather see me inside scrubbing toilet bowls, but whatever ;) I feel good enough about my daily contributions to the inside chores. I’ve...
I think that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Anchor it down in a few spots. I’ve got plenty of extra lumber to do it. Lord knows I can’t drive by...
Front/rear posts and headers are up, with temporary 10’ long bracing spanning between front and back. Tomorrow I’ll start making gussets. I got a...
Just gravity. The 1/2” bolts sunk into the piers will keep the posts from moving side to side. The entire roof structure is going to be 12’ X 36’,...
I’ve been wanting to build something over my firewood for a couple years now. I’m tired of playing the tarp game, and especially the way it looks....
I’m not too keen on doing a full-on build thread, but we’ll see. As of today the concrete piers are poured. Each one has a 1/2-13 grade 8 zinc...
And now the big work… processing. :) What’ll become of that area now that you’ve opened it up a bit? Or were you just selectively thinning it out?
I’d be a black walnut growing in the middle of an open field. Any young sapling that gets too close stressing me out will get a shot of juglone,...
Just the yellow, that I’m aware of. It’s a little more faint than black birch but it’s there. White and gray birch don’t have that scent; I’m not...
37 with a full load of silver maple going in the Lopi. I’m playing hooky today and tomorrow, so that I can work on my woodshed. :)