I agree, and I'm not 100% sold on the sassafras anymore. There's a stand of bigtooth aspen not far from where I'm at that I'm going to take...
Ahh I see what you're driving at. If the bark at the top of the crown gets really smooth and changes to a lighter gray then it could be bigtooth...
13 at home this morning. Stove is chewing through some mulberry, beech and red maple. Another warmup is on the way. [ATTACH]
I agree that the bark somewhat resembles chestnut oak, but the form of the trunk and shape of the canopy says sassafras. That’s a good size one too.
26 and snowing hard when I got up, which was a shock to the system after being sunny and almost 60 yesterday. Back to burning again with mostly...
Where I found it did have some small sprouts, which is what caught my attention. At first I thought it was oak though. I checked the end and there...
This was the first old chestnut limb I found last month. You can see how the center is hollow. Not enough solid wood there to be worth cutting up,...
Finding replacement logs will be difficult. There are companies that specialize in reclaimed chestnut lumber that comes from dismantling old...
Yes, I found a couple standing trees believe it or not, as well as broken limbs and trunks that fell but were snagged on other trees or teetering...
The stuff I’m finding looks to me like the original wood from when the blight first hit. I’m finding large trunks and large limb wood. Of all the...
Lately while hiking I’ve been finding more and more dead chestnut that was killed over 110 years ago when the blight hit. I decided to start...
I did that with quite a few smaller 10-12” stumps over the years. I would excavate underneath them, get a roaring fire going and keep it fed all...
I just took a walk outside and one of the red maples overhanging the warm parking lot here is starting to bud. They're not going to like the mid...
Man, your winters are shorter than Alaskan summers :jaw: We've got a nice warm spell up here too. If not for the snow cover, I'm sure the flowers...
28° this morning, supposed to hit 50° later. Red maple and black cherry in the firebox.
The talking box told me those are just oppositional talking points, not real world problems :picard:
What would you call the loyal opposition then? An international socialist?
28 at the moment, heading towards the mid 40s this afternoon. Currently burning a mix of red maple, beech and mulberry.
Yeah but unlike some states to the south-southwest of us, the privilege of pumping our own gas has been bestowed upon us :rofl: :lol:
Large growth rings and a cross section of the bark looking like layered cookies says elm to me as well.