I’m only considering it as an experiment in natural seed dispersal. I tried the same thing in the winter with thousands of boxelder seeds (you...
Should I? :) [ATTACH]
I went back but only took a few pieces. The arborist was there and said the homeowner’s son was coming by to pick through it, and suggested I come...
LOL yeah it was a long day yesterday, but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't get up at 4:30 this morning with sugar maple on the brain :loco:...
Another winning score buZZsaw BRAD Fresh cut live black birch is some heavy stuff to work with and a heavy hitter later on in the stove. That...
Progressing nicely so far. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]
On the way back from the grocery store I spotted an arborist taking down a sugar maple in a front yard, and his two teenage helpers stacking...
The black gum trees that I've seen in the wild have a very distinct branching structure. They come out from the trunk at almost perfectly...
:whistle:
My lone black walnut that got chomped by squirrels is making another attempt at survival by pushing out new leaves from the butchered stem....
I wonder if that’s a cucumber magnolia? I think TurboDiesel might know better than I would.
That white walnut is something to see. I’ll bet it could be a CT state champion. I’ve never seen one in person. You’re right about the TOH, and...
Burning what could otherwise be eaten is part of the plan. The scoffers will scoff at that statement until later this year when people are going...
Mountain Ash
There are plenty of different beetle species that feed on the cambium layer under the bark. You'll find tracks on elm, spruce, pine, etc.
I’m seeing ash as well. In the second picture you can see EAB trails on one of the splits, and in the third picture you can see a small pin hole...
2 local favorites of mine: Mucke’s and Martin Rosol’s. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] I agree with Skier76 about the Hummels too :thumbs:
The other day I was hiking in some hills, in a mixed habitat of mostly mountain laurel and chestnut oak, with a few stands of black gum wherever...
No wonder it's so expensive. It's that fancy imported small batch artisanal French wood "Heat Treate" (pronounced tray-a-tay) :)
You're a lot closer to ground zero for EAB infestation than I am. That's remarkable that after this many years, the young trees were left alone...