Boy, I dunno. Maybe 24”? Most of the ones I’ve seen are 18” and under. I’ll have to go back and check to satisfy my own curiosity now.
Nice little grab Thom. Looks like you got a little white oak and some ash too.
We took a quick stroll through the woods before the sun went down. The area we walked through was an old road abandoned in the early 60s when the...
33 heading to about 38 today before the rain sets in this evening. Just reloaded with black locust on some red and sugar maple coals.
It does resemble a soft maple a little bit, but that large “Y” where the trunk forks off says elm all day long.
Nice job on the sugar maple and helping the neighbor there. Sounds like a fun, successful day of hoarding :yes:
The elm and sugar maple I was burning earlier today has been replaced with black locust. One thing about burning BL is it’s great to throw on a...
Mild at 39 here, and the rain has moved on for the most part. It’s supposed to drop down to around freezing by morning. I’m burning mostly elm...
I’ve hit rocks cutting in the dark before :whistle: but didn’t break any teeth off doing it. The only time I can remember knocking teeth clear off...
[ATTACH]
Nice and pleasant here… 36 and raining :headbang: Elm and red maple keeping the house warm.
Speaking of inspiration. The new guy at work is originally from Quebec and makes his own syrup down here on a small scale. Yesterday I gave him a...
I wouldn't be surprised if you said it had been sitting for 10 years and did that. :picard: I've seen that on 4 year oak, and I've seen barkless...
Forsythia?!
Being in a warm spell since New Years is throwing me all off. Usually I'm taking my kids sledding and trying to make the most of the season. It's...
Thanks for the encouragement and inspiration :handshake: It looks like a lot of fun in a labor of love kind of way, just like gardening. I...
Pretty much bottomed out here at around 40. I have a small load of sugar and red maple on duty tonight.
Agreed. I have some relatively thin red oak heart wood splits with no bark from May 2021 and they're all easily below 20%. I'm convinced that bark...
Now you've got me thinking... I have some red oak that'll hit just over 3 years this fall. I might (and easily could) leave it another year, maybe...
No I don’t believe I’ve even seen that in person. If you could set aside just one piece I can compare it to what I’ve got.